bcuk Foundation Skills Week - 30th May – 3rd June 2011

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
As Wayland started a participants list for the Arctic Expedition I thought I would do the same here, so I trawled back looking for names, hope they are correct .... Just add (or remove if I got it wrong) to the list

1. PeterH
2. ChrisH
3. Rambling Man
4. Elines
5. DaveWUK

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Great to have the confirmation, thanks.

Speaking for myself I think the psychological challenge will probably be the most difficult part - I have only (car) camped for a max of two nights so far.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
It's unlikely that we'll do another one this year but not impossible, if there's enough people we can definitely do another, it would be the same deal with the umber of people etc.

DaveWL

Forager
Mar 13, 2011
Cheshire, UK
It's unlikely that we'll do another one this year but not impossible, if there's enough people we can definitely do another, it would be the same deal with the umber of people etc.

Cheers Tony.

I'd definitely sign up for one later in the year!

And if not - as for connorav - I'll come on next year's one.

Becky

Forager
Nov 11, 2005
west midlands
Good morning Everyone. Just to let you know today is the go/no go date and we now have 14 people booked up on this course so it will be going ahead!! I will be sending out an email shortly to everyone on the course with details regarding your final payment.

Becky

May 6, 2010
uk
www.coastalsurvival.com
Good morning Everyone. Just to let you know today is the go/no go date and we now have 14 people booked up on this course so it will be going ahead!! I will be sending out an email shortly to everyone on the course with details regarding your final payment.

Becky

Good news! All is warming up round here in Dorset, plenty of gourmet edibles to be found. Looking forward to the course!

Fraser

Aug 12, 2004
London
After lurking here (for a few years) I've jumped in with both feet and really looking forward to it. Haven't done anything like this since cadets 20-some years ago and secretly hoping it won't be the same perma-soaked misery with overloaded broken backpack that my first battlecraft was. At least I won't have to lug a Lee Enfield barbell around :D

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
Just finishing packing for a trip to Rough Close meet this weekend, thought I had better use a rucksack this time rather than the usual oversized ME Duffle and see what I really need to bring for the course. It has been years since I seriously used just one bag ... Car camping and being a cub leader is like having a garage you don't have to put the car in, a junk magnet !!

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
Hi Guys, I am booked on this course - I have a couple of questions - I am pretty new here so forgive me if this sounds a little silly to those of you in the know ;-) and if its in the wrong place, I couldn't find anywhere else to post:

I will DEF need to go for that shopping trip midweek - does anyone know if this will be a local corner shop or a supermarket?

I might possibly have to get public transport to the site (I am coming from France and the 9 am RV is a little tricky for me and connections) will anyone have a space in their car for a lift to the RV?

thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
Hi Lune,
not sure that we can help with lift to RV but post or PM anticipated details and see what we can do. Certainly mid week a lift is available.

I was thinking that by then we might be thinking of group cooking which might be more difficult to arrange in advance?

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
Hi Peter, I will be OK for a lift now, thanks anyway - my husband will be able to bring and collect me.

I am really quite confused about the food situation I am afraid. So, there is a large fire to cook our food on but is there any refrigeration available?

What you are saying is that we must bring our own food for the first two days and then there will be a group shop and thereafter, a meal cooked by ourselves for everyone for the last 2 nights? If this is the case I think it is a GREAT idea. I think this will be OK to arrange whilst we are there, before the shop is done midweek........

Ross Bowyer

Apr 29, 2004
kendal
Hi Lune,

I will be the Instructor on the foundation course, to answer your questions. There is a small Co-Op in Beaminster (5 miles from the site) or there is a selection of shops in Bridport (8 miles from the site) including Lidl, Morrisons, Waitrose and a much larger Co-Op. There is no facility to refrigerate food on the site so please shop accordingly. We have set up an area for you to cook in, it is up to you if you want to cook on stoves, group fires of individual fires.

Looking forward to meeting everyone

Ross

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
Hi Ross, thanks so much for the reply - that's great! looking forward to testing my skills at shopping accordingly. Waitrose will be a delight - I live in France and have no such luxury like Waitrose.
I am totally up for coordinating some group cooking - but I will be going heavy on the protein - not sure if that is what other people want to do? Perhaps in the long run it would just be easier for everyone to cook indivually.
look forward to meeting you,
Lune.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE