BCB steel Crusader mess tin

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Hi folks
the wifes just ordered me

http://www.edirectory.co.uk/pf/880/mia/d/bcb+crusader+mess+tin/pid/5174237

I've not seen the type before and a quick search of the web showed only 2 other sites selling it (and both for 6 quid more!). I couldn't find it on BCBs own site but thats probably just me.

It looks just what I'm after, especially if its big enough for the issue boil in the bag meals.

Does any one know the sizes / volume? Does it have a NSN I wonder?

All the best

Tom

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Hi Tom,

You’re not the only one that can’t find it on BCB’s site :)

According to the limited information on this site, the dimensions are 18cm x 5cm.
http://cadetdirect.com/order1.php?pg=1406

The dimensions of the boil-in-the-bag rations are 19cm x 16.5cm, so I imagine that they would be a slight squeeze to get in the mess tin.

But that said, BCB’s standard mess tin is 18cm x 13.5cm x 6cm. So I’d say that there isn’t much in it, between the two.

The only question that remains is, is it actually part of BCB’s range of products? :eek:

Hope this helps, and why not let the forum know how it performs when you’ve tried it out?

It looks useful, by the way!

Best regards,
Paul.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
It is now part of BCB's product range, they’ve been developing it for a while and it's been released recently. Their site hasn't been updated with the product info yet.

I've got a little pile of them here and they're well made and work well. :D

Reactions: TheGreenMan

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Tony said:
It is now part of BCB's product range, they’ve been developing it for a while and it's been released recently. Their site hasn't been updated with the product info yet.

You clearly have your 'ear to the ground', Tony. Thank you :)

Best regards,
Paul.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Thanks!
I'll give it a test as soon as it arrives.

By the by did anything become of the lid for the Crusader Mug? I only ever saw a photo of it in a collage (sp?) type advert for BCB kit. Seemed to be of a pale green plastic. Looked alot better than the hammered over edge aluminium job I cobbled together anyway. Mind you, that works so I shouldn't abuse it!#

All the best

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Sounds interesting, if its thick/tough enough I supose I could fit a flap over the hole. 'All depends if its heat proof enough to be used when its actually on the stove rather than like something out of Starbucks you clip on to stop it sloshing out as you drink it.

Anybody got a link to a image please?

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Thanks Mark, your a star!

Will definately be getting one of those lids when I see one for sale, shame about the sipping hole but being able to see the contents is a bonus. Does it give a RRP?

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
The Crusader mess tin arrived today with comendable speed. First impressions are that it is sturdy, well made and needs no finishing although it's existing shinyness makes the inside of the lid (with more polishing) potentially a excellent mirror.

I'm not sure if I'd use the lid as a frying pan as its a bit small/shallow but thats more because of my cackhandedness than anything else. As a lid it is a excellent tight fit, it took a couple of go's to learn the trick of putting it back on with one hand using the handle only and without excessive pressure being applied.

The substantial hook on the end of the pans folding handle and the fact theres a decent sized tunnel where the metal is rolled over on the catch the handle closes onto leads me to believe it will be a easy to rig a suspension/bucket type handle for hanging over a fire. (this will make more sense with photos) I'm thinking of adding a D ring to the catch and using a short lenght of chain with sprung hook ends until someone comes along with something better. A suspension handle precludes the use of the lids handle extended but a simple button type handle will be easy enough to rig.

The box has no referance to BCB and the example I received has no markings on the metal whatsoever. (yes. its sanitized! I'll resist the urge to paint it matt black ;-{D)

More when I've fired up the stoves and tried it out but so far I'm pretty damn pleased with it!

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Firstly I apologise for the size of the photos, I've no idea how to shrink them.

I'm waiting until I dig out the thermometer and scales before I do a boil test as I want to give some meaningful results from the test. I intend to do boil tests with and without the lid and want to record air and water temps, time to a rolling boil and amount of fuel by weight used. I'll be using a Nova stove with Coleman fuel.

Anyway I have tried the Crusader tin on all the stoves to hand and theres no problem with width of base, theres not going to be much if any flamespilling around the edge.

I tried to fit stuff inside. A hexi stove is a near perfect fit BUT when fitted with the Crusader Mug adapter it wouldn't go. Not a big problem as 10 seconds with a pair of tin snips to talke one of the adapters corners off and it will be sorted. Still you would have thought something aimed at the squaddy market would allow for the issue stove.

I'm going to be mainly be using it with a Trangia burner and Clickstand, with a cut dowm alluminium folding wind shield (the lightweight ones are easily cut with a Stanley knife and straight edge, I made one just the right hieght for the Nova and the remainder is just right for the Clickstand) and all this and the pourer for the Little Nipper bottle, spoon etc fitted inside with plenty of space for tea bags etc.
0tinonclickstand.jpg

0tinwithclickkit.jpg

Capacity wise 25 fluid oz makes it brim full but I'd not put more than 20 oz/ a pint in myself, probably no more than 15 oz if I'm going to be stiring.

As a experiment I cobbled together a half inch radius D ring from wire on the catch end of the tin and a chain with small spring clips on each end to go from that to the end of the handle (5 3/4 inch from furthest inside of one clip to the furthest insideof the other clip).

0tinonchain.jpg

OK I'd use better chain (not bog stuff as in pic) and stronger / matching clips if I had them to hand but it gives you the idea. I'd be interested in other ways to do the same from you engineering types.

'Just discovered it fits very neatly into the front pocket of a Response Pak (OK, where I now put all the crap I usually keep there is another question ;-{D)

I really like this bit of kit!

ATB

Tom

Reactions: TheGreenMan

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Correction, I maligned the designers with regards to the Crusader Mug adapter for the hexi stove.

When I tried anorther hexi, with adapter in place, it fitted absolutely perfectly, so I tried the rest of my stash and they all fitted as well.

The walls of the mess tin taper inwards slightly so it helps if you put one end of the stove in first and then drop the other end in. If you quickly flip the tin over the stove doesn't drop out, you have to drop one end down.

I am dead impressed with the precion these are made with. With a bit of packing on top a stove doesnot rattle at all!

ATB

Tom

11binf

Forager
Aug 16, 2005
Phx. Arizona U.S.A
does anybody have a handle on where these nice messtins are made....i hope U.K/E.U. made...i will not buy any far east rubbish,thats just me folks. :rolleyes: ...vince g. 11b inf..

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Yeah I'd like to know myself as theres no marking what so ever, I'm hoping that the "British Quality" icon on the image MarkG put up relates to the tins and not whatever was above it on the page.

I'm not knocking all foreign kit but given the choice I'd still rather buy British

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Unfortunately I don't have any to try

OK I ate them all

I was hungry, Ok ?!

;-{D)

Since these are aimed squarely at the military market I'll be amazed if they don't

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Just heard back from a chap in product design at BCB and he says the lids have gone into production and he is "expecting the first batch very soon".

More when I hear it.

ATB

Tom

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Tony said:

Stock for the BCUK shop Tone? :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE