Batteries beware, those that don't leak, do.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Silverclaws

Forager
Jul 23, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
Recently I had the second occurrence of a well known battery that guarantees against leakage leak and destroy yet another Maglite by eating through the anodised layer inside. I say the second because it was possibly my fault the last occurrence happened but this time there was only one cell in the torch and it wasn't discharged when I left it, the other having been taken to power something else and forgotten about, so the torch lay in a drawer with the offending cell part way down the tube judging by where the corrosion from the leaked cell had glued it, so it was not in direct electrical contact but still it leaked and has destroyed another torch and so that is me finished with the copper coloured top, it's comparatively high cost and it's promises.

Sure if I took it up with them and paid for the return cost they might replace the torch or argue it was my fault, but I cannot be bothered with the hassle as the torch with their cell in it was not available when I needed it through malfunction of their product, so with me it is lessons learned I shall buy elsewhere in future, guarantees are worth squat when items don't work when they are needed.

And so looking online I was surprised to find there has been many instances of that make of cell leaking and destroying, so I am not alone and there the surprise the name on the cell is not made by them, but farmed out to a cheaper manufacturer.

Check your batteries regularly if the batteries are to remain in the device, if not, remove them as no battery is resistant to failure it seems, not even those carrying guarantees.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I've had a well known brand of supposedly durable cell battery do that with my Mini Maglite, not so bad with a Mini Maglite but I'd be seriously cheesed off if it had done that with my Pacific Laser Systems PLS2E laser level.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Luckily it was only a maglite.

On my torches i use lithium based batteries for the vast majority, i also isolate the battery when i'm not using them by breaking the circuit (twisting the tail cap or reflector until the torch no longer turns on), that way there is no drain on the battery while it's not being used.

Honestly i wouldn't waste any more money on maglites, they're terrible compared to modern LED torches.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
Mags are pants i,ve lost a few with this,I had a brand new 5 or 6 cell a while back put new Duracells in it tried it out fine went to switch it on a couple of months later and it was knacked the batteries had leaked and were stuck inside and took serious persuading to come out .

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
It's nothing to do with Maglites per se, but more to do with the cells used. If one cell is more depleted than the other, then the depleted one can leak as the acid starts to eat the seals and out. That is why you can't mix brands or even batteries/cells that come from other packets of the same brand as they will deplete at different rates. This is why most torch/flashlight brands have now switched from your regular alkaline variety to othe more stable varieties. You just can't leave alkaline batteries touching as they will react with each other over long periods of weeks/months and begin to break down and the corrosion will start to eat out and into the torch. You can't fault Maglites for that, but the battery type used.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I had the same problem with one of my Maglites (or rather my daughter did with one I gave her) I never bothered to call the battery manufacturer (Ray-O-Vac) Instead I called Mag Instruments. They asked, "What brand of battery was it?" When I told them, they said, "Send it to us with a letter of explanation enclosed and we'll repair or replace the light. We have the contract with Ray-O-Vac." Sure enough, for $3.00 postage, I got a brand new Maglight from them. Whether or not they were eventually reimbursed by Ray-O-Vac I don't know. Might be worth giving them a call instead of the battery company; I suspect they have similar arrangements with most major battery manufacturers.

That's just one of the things I like about Maglites, Their excellent service and warranty even when the fault isn't theirs.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE