Single AA head torch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
My Fenix HL 23 has decided to hide away somewhere so I need a replacement. I'd get another as it was perfect for me; light to wear, gave a good light for work, took a single AA battery so easy to power and have cheap spare batteries and also it wasn't a complex torch (no SOS or whatever).

Sadly it isn't sold any more. The HM 23 would seem the obvious choice but some of the reviews seem to suggest it's not as good as the HL.

So, any suggestions? I would like a new torch from a reliable brand, I've picked up a cheapness rechargeable that's only lasted a year so not keen on a cheap or rechargeable option.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Reactions: slowworm

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Thanks for the suggestions. I found it quite difficult to find single AA torches. The Zebra light looks the best option but a bit pricey. It's a shame there's nothing simpler, I'd be happy with one light level as I mostly used the Fenix on medium.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Thanks again. There doesn't seem to be anything obviously better than the Fenix and I still find it strange there's not more AA headlights as there's quite a few single AA torches. And on that note I might have a look for a headband for my existing AA torch, to start with.

pieinthesky

Forager
Jun 29, 2014
Northants
I have a couple of the Zebralight AA torches and have been very impressed with them.

One lives rough, chucked in the bottom of my tool bag and is used several times every day. It has been through the washer a couple of times too. It takes any AA size battery you put in it including 3.7v lithiums but is generally fed on Alkalines as I have a steady supply of part used ones. It has never missed a beat in 6 years or more. Seemed expensive at the time but like a lot of quality stuff, works out cheaper in the long run.

I would change 2 things - I would like it to always come on on the same setting, having to cycle through levels every time is a pain. It does do this but I somehow never seem to hold the button for the correct length of time to actually achieve it. The other is to put the button on the side not the end, it is much easier to operate/pinch the button this way round.

Highly recommended

Reactions: slowworm

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I did fancy a Zebra light before I bought the Fenix but it's the H53 is double the price and I don't need any more functions.

Edit to add and I'm avoiding rechargeable torches as I found quality alkaline batteries lasted a decent length of time in the HL23 and a pack of AAs is more useful than a charger if you have a long powercut.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
You can go even smaller than that, lets hear it for the Petzl E Lite, with it's CR 2032 battery. Good to have around as an emergency back up.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I have a Fenix AAA torch and it's good for a light backup, but the AA was a good compromise between a light torch and a good run with decent light.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE