Why I hate (most) modern torches

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sidpost

Forager
Dec 15, 2016
Texas, USA
Acebeam Pokelit is one I would suggest generally available at normal retail. Wurkkos, Sofirn, and Convoy all make really good single AA/14500 or 2*AA/2*14500 flashlights that do USB-C recharging WITHOUT removing the battery or batteries.

The Sofirn SP10 series in particular are a really good single cell AA/14500 flashlights. The Convoy T3 and T4 are top picks as well. Order direct from the company website or from Aliexpress at the company "store" there.

Generally, I avoid Olight for the reasons mentioned in the video. In particular, I don't like proprietary batteries. I also dislike flashlights that don't recharge from the flashlight body with a USB-C connection.

Reactions: Nice65

sidpost

Forager
Dec 15, 2016
Texas, USA
When looking at Flashlights (or torches), Lumens tell you how much power is being consumed but, not really anything about the beam itself. Candela is what tells you the strength of illumination. Fewer Lumens with a higher Candela will help you find that lost chicken better than a flashlight/torch with more Lumens and less Candela.

This also assumes a similarly shaped reflector (head) and no special optics.

A smaller LED emitter size, will throw a tighter beam further than a larger emitter will. A deeper reflector will also throw farther than a shallow one. A beam that is too focused is like looking at the world through a soda straw so, a balance of throw and flood serves most people best.

CRI (Color Rendition Index) tells how accurate the colors are using a given emitter in your flashlight. Is that thing in the grass a snake, stick, or garden hose? Low CRI will leave it as a mystery until you get close but, High CRI will let you see details to determine what it is at a distance.

Reactions: Nice65

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I do find the very bright torches have a place - hunting for livestock in the dark being one. That said, as I mentioned in the video, that level of brightness isn't needed for walking around. It is good to have the option though!

Yep, always good to have a torch with a good throw when looking for stray livestock in the dark, or a pet or something that goes bump in the night. We've had a stray flock of cattle in our woods again for the last week, nice to have a good torch handy just in case.

Reactions: British Red

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Acebeam Pokelit is one I would suggest generally available at normal retail. Wurkkos, Sofirn, and Convoy all make really good single AA/14500 or 2*AA/2*14500 flashlights that do USB-C recharging WITHOUT removing the battery or batteries.

The Sofirn SP10 series in particular are a really good single cell AA/14500 flashlights. The Convoy T3 and T4 are top picks as well. Order direct from the company website or from Aliexpress at the company "store" there.

Generally, I avoid Olight for the reasons mentioned in the video. In particular, I don't like proprietary batteries. I also dislike flashlights that don't recharge from the flashlight body with a USB-C connection.

Did notice Pokelit's are as low as £18 on Amazon are on a deal atm. It's green body though, so not ideal for the outdoors. Bushcraft orange is £22.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE