bannock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 22, 2006
UK
I use a recipe of 4 cups flour, 4 table spoons of brown sugar, 3 table spoons of baking powder, 4 tea spoons of salt, cinnamon, raisins, and walnuts to taste. It tastes pretty good. I pour about 3-4 table spoons of oil into the pan before I cook it.

Mad Mike

Nomad
Nov 25, 2005
Maidstone
I use a recipe of 4 cups flour, 4 table spoons of brown sugar, 3 table spoons of baking powder, 4 tea spoons of salt, cinnamon, raisins, and walnuts to taste. It tastes pretty good. I pour about 3-4 table spoons of oil into the pan before I cook it.

table spoons? of baking powder or should that be teaspoons baking powder?

I usualy use a teaspoon baking powder to every 4oz / spoon of flour
looks heavy on the salt to me & bardster always says my bannocks are salty

cinnamon raisens & walnuts are damm good in bannocks - goes well with 40% chestnut flour

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
I reckon Scruff may be up there with him. It'd be nice for them to have a bannock cook off!

Now that's an idea :D

We could call it ''Ready, Steady...Bake''.
They both bring 4 ingredients and they have an hour to see what they can come up with. Independant adjudicators decided on the best one and the winner gets a hug from Ainsley Harriott :p :cool:

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
Here's my recipe if you are interested :) (feeds two)

2 cups plain white flour
1 cup dried milk powder
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
sultanas, raisins or some other berries of your choice (we used blackberries earlier in the year at the Bucks meet and it was very tasty:) )

I mix these before leaving home and then just add water at camp until I get a dough :11doh: .

Lightly oil your frying pan or baking tray and press the dough onto it until it's about an inch thick. Place next to the fire at an angle so that it doesn't slip off and keep turning to avoid burning.

It is also possible to cook in an improvised dutch oven using two shallow billy cans (One inside the other) and cover with hot ash/embers or wrap around a stick like sausages and hold over the fire.

Happy cooking ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE