Bannocks, from campfire to the Dwarf's bread :)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
@Mesquite's post about survival rations inspired by History brought this to mind again.

Bannocks.
To me a bannock is just a bready/cakey thing cooked on the girdle. It's a thick flat bread. It can be sweet or savoury, but tbh I've never tried drying it out like a rusk to make a survival ration.
They're good food though; hearty food, tasty food. Lovely hot and worth playing around with. From basic plain to Indian it's good food.
So, with that in mind, bannocks, and recipes thereof.
What's your preference ?

Reactions: Van-Wild and zornt

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I've never tried drying it out like a rusk to make a survival ration.
I’d suggest you don’t until you absolutely have to. There are so many pleasant alternatives to desiccated food.
I love Scottish oat cakes, straight off the griddle and soft under my bacon. I cannot enjoy the brittle cardboard triangles with sell by dates crossing centuries, sold as oatcakes.

Remember the principle of dwarf bread.

Carrying it you reminds you that you would rather eat anything else including your own boots. The dwarves thought that it was improved by Nanny Ogg’s cat pissing on it!

Edited s as a token salute to the OP. :)
My own recipe for griddle buns is either fruit scones or white fruit bread. I carry the premixed dry ingredients (including yeast) in plastic screw top mugs and olive oil in a little bottle and cook on site.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I like crisp oatcakes. Straight from the girdle they smell wonderful, they taste really, really good too. They curl, they don't like flat like the oven baked ones sold in shops.

Rusks are good though, well if you start from decent cake.

Reactions: Pattree

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE