water bottles and water

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
I use a 1.5l nalgene bottle with a source hydration hose, and have a 1l nalgene stainless as part of my brew kit.

If the kids are with me they have their own 500ml nalgene bottles to keep the weight down in their backpacks and ill put a few fruitshoot drinks in my pack.

I'm rarely far from a water source and use my grayl geopress filter to refill any bottles if needed. I used to pre filter before the geopress with a milbank bag but stopped it and haven't had any adverse effects.

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
On my hip a stainless steel Canteen and 'crusader' mug. In my pack, this is where it gets interesting, a 2 litre Tescos thin bleach bottle. Washed out of course. Why? Because it has a handle, can be dipped in a stream and then have sterilization tablets added to it. Obviously precautions must be take oil, contaminants etc, etc. Gaffer tape can be wound around the outside for other uses.

Reactions: Ozmundo

Hodge

Nomad
Aug 3, 2018
West Midlands
I use stainless steel bottles for either sigg, clean canteen or nalgene. For urine I use a wide mouthed plastic nalgene bottle. Using 2 different materials helps prevent me from using the wrong bottle during the night. Haven't yet perfected using a pee bottle whilst lying in a hammock. Do any of you risk it?

Watch-keeper

Life Member
Sep 3, 2013
London
I use a range of containers.
  • Brit mil water bottles most of the time, cheap, robust and fits a crusader mug.
  • Platypus 1-4 liter soft bottles for extra drinking capacity.
  • MSR dromedary for extra capacity admin water, washing dishes/hands etc.
I also have a couple of stainless bottles and sig bottles that also get used from time to time or get loaned out. The MRS bags are for admin water because i find they have a funny taste to them.

As for peeing in and reusing a bottle I would do this only with stainless bottles if they were washed out thoroughly afterwards. I wouldn't put anything with a strong smell or flavour in a plastic/soft bottle as they seem to hold on to smell/taste. I did have a dedicated ortleib waterbag with a wide opening to avoid spilling but given the choice id go outside.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I use stainless steel bottles for either sigg, clean canteen or nalgene. For urine I use a wide mouthed plastic nalgene bottle. Using 2 different materials helps prevent me from using the wrong bottle during the night. Haven't yet perfected using a pee bottle whilst lying in a hammock. Do any of you risk it?
Yup. To put it politely, lay on your side, dangle it over the edge of the hammock and hold the bottle underneath....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE