Bankline?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
OK, I've been checking out Dave Canterbury's you-tube videos and have found some references to "bankline". I've never heard of the stuff and was wondering if anybody on here knew of it?

I think it may be a braided fishing line of some sort but I have been wrong before so would like clarification.

Cheers,

Dave

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I don't think it's a type of line, it's just any line that's set up bankside (that's if I'm interpreting the term right).

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
My reading of it is like pitched or tarred three ply reverse twisted cord. Probably the type of stuff that brightly coloured nylon cord has replaced.
I haven't seen any this side of the Atlantic for a while but my guess is that some garden centres or old fashioned hardware stores would have it.
Dave Canterbury uses it in place of paracord inner strands, so it might just be a cheaper version strongish cord. The pitch or tar certainly helps in keeping knots tight and bindings tidy.

Ogri the trog

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
If it's the same thing we use for "bank hooks" and "trot lines" it's just twisted nylon cord, usually white. It's nothing special, just cheaper than paracord and thin enough to set ban hooks and trot lines.

CallsignSam

Nomad
Jun 13, 2013
Kent
I started using bankline a while back after hearing Dave Canterbury talking about it, I rarely ever use paracord now. I found it on The Bushcraft Store.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
There are plenty of good cordage alternatives. Kite string is amazing stuff - 80 to 100 lbs breaking strain and not much thicker than cotton. Jute (hairy) string is a useful utility string with a fairly low breaking strain that makes great tinder and costs a couple of quid for a huge ball. For a stronger string, white pure cotton "butchers" string is very strong and makes a great wick. Both cotton and jute strings are biodegradable so should be a better choice than synthetic cordage for many things

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I rarely use Paracord but do like the natural cordage, I think I have a ball of every kind at home in the string bin! I recently purchased a roll of bankline and it seems good stuff? For smaller jobs I that require thread I found Gutermann polyester thread hard to beat. Not much thicker than cotton but I can't break the stuff using just my hands!

Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE