Axe Handle Query

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Is yew any good for an axe handle?
I ask this because I have a good lump of yew in the shed that's already dried out and seasoned, and because it's probably my favourite wood.
So is it any good?

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Altough Yew would look great it wont make a good axe handle.
On some of the yew bows i have made the string can start to cut into the wood after no time at all. This is why the yew bows of old had Horn knocks to protect the wood from the string. I imagine the bit would eventually wear loose as the wood is so soft. Shame realy it would look nice.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
the heart wood of yew is harder than ash, and I don't see anybody complaing about that being too soft?

Use it and see how it works! I've got an axe with birch on the handle,another with oak and yet another in hazel. none have broken yet ;)

ash and hickory are best, but basically anything will work, it's just how long it will work for. Even St Mears was on telly last night making an axe handle from poplar, and that is like loo roll!

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Cheers for help so far.
Couple of things - I thought a handle had to be made from the outside of the wood, so that the growth rings are as parallel as possible, vertical and running the length of the handle. Does it really matter? As has been said - the heart wood of yew is tough old stuff.
Secondly, the axe will only have a short handle - perhaps 16" or so. Won't be used for a lot of heavy cutting - occasionally splitting, and that kind of thing.
Will that make a difference?
Again, all comments gratefully accepted.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
as long as the grain of the wood follows through the length of the handle, then it doesn't really matter wich way it is orientated. having the grain so that it runs inline with the length of the head (ie in the direction of strike) is preferred, but to be honest it makes no difference to those of us that use them: my main forging hammer has a handle that is orientated at 90 degrees to impact and if that won't break then a small axe is not going to have any troubles!

the smaller axe is easier to handle and you have to be even less criticle of grain than a longer felling or splitting axe as there is less force involved ;)

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
the heart wood of yew is harder than ash, and I don't see anybody complaing about that being too soft?

Use it and see how it works! I've got an axe with birch on the handle,another with oak and yet another in hazel. none have broken yet ;)

ash and hickory are best, but basically anything will work, it's just how long it will work for. Even St Mears was on telly last night making an axe handle from poplar, and that is like loo roll!

I wonder if it matters more about the individual bit of wood. I have some yew here that i can easily dent with my thumb nail and some ash thats much harder. I have only had to replace one axe handle and as ash is so abundant i didnt try anything else.

It would look nice..

EDIT. Just looking through some other bits and against instinct i have some goat willow thats harder than the wych elm...

leon-1

Yew has been used for tool handles for a very long time mate, but it became rarer to see as the numbers of Yew dwindled through the centuries. Obviously with it being a favourite for making bows it's been quite a prized beastie over the years.

I would imagine that the qualities that made it good as a bow could be used in your favour. Dave and the other guys have mentioned that the heartwood is pretty hard, the sap wood on the other hand can be quite soft.

The heartwood is highly resistant to compression (hence the favoured place was the belly of a bow) where as the limbs / back of the bow required a level of elasticity and for this the sapwood was used.

I would think that if you are using the harder heartwood (darker in colour in general) then there should be no problem.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
i think it would work but imo the sapwood would be better because hearwood is more brittle which is exactly what you dont want in an axe handle.

pete

ToneWood

Tenderfoot
Feb 22, 2012
Wessex
well, the famous axe of oetzi the icemummy was yew as well- a section of trunk with a sidebranch sticking out at ca. 90degress if i remember correctly
http://www.oetzi.com/en/axe
kupferzeit_fund01.jpg

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Great for bows. But it is a soft wood which may not be good for an axe handle.

Yew a softwood?

Its one of the hardest and most durable woods in the uk :)

As to it being used as an axe handle, yes you can use it, but its not as good as ash, also grain allignment is critical. Get that wrong and it will break easily. The grain should run front to back, not side to side. :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The definition of a hardwood is something that produces a seed with a covering (angiosperm), trees that release uncovered seeds (gymnosperm) are softwoods. Its really nothing to do with wood density

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
After i asked the question i dug out a book i have called "Wood, Identification and use" by Terry Porter. In here it defines the hardwood/softwood totally different to what you said Red.

In here it says that hardwood and softwood are defined by their cell structures. Softwood having 2 types of cell and hardwood having 4 types

Also, if hardwoods produce seeds with a covering then Yew should be a hardwood as the seed is within a berry. Birch is a hardwood, yet its seeds aren't covered. Same with Oak, Ash, Sycamore for example :)

I'm confused lol :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Think they are covered - sycamore wingy thing isn't actually the seed - the acorn has a hard cover too. I take your point on the yew berry though - although the seed does sort of poke out.

I confess I'm not an expert but researched it once cos I was equally confused.

This seems to say something broadly similar

http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/life/genetic/question598.htm

Hopefully someone can give us a conclusie answer!
Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE