Axe Handle Query

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
No, not a conclusive answer. But I'd have to agree with Red about the oak "seed." Acorns are definitely nuts. The seed (the actual nut) is covered by a shell that has to be cracked by creatures that eat them.

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
Going back to the original question, I would agree with what some of the others have said and would suggest that it would be fine if you're talking about a hatchet. i think the idea that it has to be Ash or Hickory and that it has to be a particular grain orientation is more to do with felling axes.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
From the information I recovered, softwoods or hardwoods are indeed defined by cell structure softwoods have more rectangular sap vessels which will carry on through the entire length of the trunk of the tree. these type of cells if I remember correctly are called tracheids, or tracheid cells,or trachoid. will look that up. also Softwoods seem to have no rays, or horizontal sap vessels that run radial in the wood, seeing the fact the membranes of the tracheids allow for moisture to transport through to the parallel running cells.
Also I have heard that all coniferous trees are softwoods, yet I'm not entirely sure about this, so if anyone could give some conclusion, experts help us out.
Yours sincerely Ruud

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Dave Budd made me eat my words (see above) and yew does make a good handle.

I had to re-handle an axe for my auntie, was my grandfathers old GB axe.
I always have yew offcuts about with bow making so gave it a try.

Picture001-2.jpg

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Wow that Is looking beautiful such a yew handle,
Gotta make one of those one day, well we'll know what to do if a handle needs to be refitted ^^
Yours sincerely Ruud

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE