Axe Choice

Hi All,

can I take some advice please?

I am currently trying to decide which Axe to opt for.

I'm keen on the Gransfors SFA (as it seems to be a great all rounder) After speaking to GB they said it was their "best seller" which isn't that surprising.

However I am also keen on the mini hatchet (It just looks so cute!) which makes me think should I get both.

But am I just being silly? - I can only use one at a time anyway and would the mini be too small for heavy work and then the SFA too big to carry around!

is the wildlife hatchet the theoretical alternative.

aaaahhh decisions decisions..... I wish they just sold 1 axe (I know, I know, thats not practical)

Any advice greatly appreciated. Also having just read another article on quality - should I be concerned about this?

Thanks folks.

p.s - sorry for the waffle.

MC

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Depends what you mostly want to do. Personaly I think the mini is overpriced and not as good as the wildlife hatchet which is £20 cheaper unless you are really on a weight saving mision in which case I might just go the big knife route.

Like Hoodoo I like the wildlife, it is good at carving and fine work and using one handed which the SFA isn't because the long handle means it doesn't pivot as quickly. If you see yourself doing more felling. snedding splitting, firewood type duties then the SFA is the one to go for the wildlife will do that but not as well.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
the followers of St Mears will all say the SFA, but in my opinion it's too big for most of the things that bushcrafters actually use an axe for and too small for the things that they might use it for.

It's too long (ie awkward) and heavy for carving with, it's a pain to carry about all day and its too light for serious splitting or felling. If you want ot knock a tree over then use a saw: it's faster, safer, more efficient and cleaner.

I would go for the standard hatchet as it will fit in your bag, weighs less, is easier to use for splitting kindling and carving. You can still chop with it (I've used hatchets for chopin through 6" oak branches that were blocking my path when driving home from work) and split logs if you have a stick to bat it with (I split a 20" diameter ash tree into bowstaves last year with a wooden beetle and a hatchet).

just my opinion though

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Are you used to using an axe? If not I would opt for a cheaper model because IMHO most beginners end up damaging their axe in one way or another.

Buy a cheap one, make your mistakes and then buy something better.

To be honest, I have an SFA and very rarely use it when going bushy. It is far easier to carry a decent folding saw and far more use around the average bushy camp site.

SImon

EdS

get a billhook.

Or a normal hatchet - Kent pattern axe. I've got both a Morris and an Elwell and find them both a better shap than my SFA. Main problem I find with SFa is that the head is too narrow - just doesn't feel as safe when cutting branches.

I'm planning of putting a 1 1/4lb Kent head on a SFA sized shaft.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-1-2lb-KENT-STYLE-AXE_W0QQitemZ110316741744QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Collectable_ToolsHasdware_RL?hash=item110316741744&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1294|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

shawn

Tenderfoot
Nov 6, 2008
usa
gabushcraft.blogspot.com
fiskars and wetterlings also makes good axes. the 14" fiskars with scandinavian profile is very easy to sharpen to a razor edge and carves wood very well. the wetterlings is too blunt for carving but it chops good and has nice look and feel to it.

Jan 22, 2006
uk
As mentioned above, the sfa is a bit big for standard use. Its more the rucksack size than anything else, i dont want it poking out the top. You could still get through larger material with a smaller axe fairly easily.

I have one and generally leave it at home, i'd by the next one down if i were you. They are a thing of beauty though....buy both :)

cheers

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
fiskars and wetterlings also makes good axes. the 14" fiskars with scandinavian profile is very easy to sharpen to a razor edge and carves wood very well. the wetterlings is too blunt for carving but it chops good and has nice look and feel to it.

I agree that they are both good axes, but I disagree that the Wetterlings is too blunt to carve with.

I've got a lot of axes and my favourite for carving is my Wetterlings because of teh size and weight of the handle and head. All you have to do is sharpen the thing properly ;)

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I find axe choice to be as personal as knife choice, what works for one wont work for another.

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
The above advice is all sound and just goes to show that you won't know the answer to your own question until you've tried out an axe for a year-or-so.

If you do buy a Gransfors - and look after it - if you decide you want a different one you can always sell the old one on here for a loss of 10-15 quid.

For what it's worth, I started with an SFA for a year or so before switching to something the size of the wildlife hatchet.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
'nuther vote for wildlife for all the reasons above. plus:

before i was a dozen years old i came to realise that a light hatchet was sine qua non in woodcraft...

from nessmuk's woodcraft and camping.

"And many strokes, though with a little axe, Hew down and fell the hardest-timbered oak."

from shakepeare

cheers, and.

Wow,

Thanks for everyones great responses.

Very useful information -

I think the wildlife hatchet is probably the best choice for me as I would like to use it one handed (I have smallish hands and therfore SFA would prob be tricky)

Jungle I like the look for the Roselli but think I prefer the "traditional" face of a normal hatchet/axe.

What benefits does the Roselli have?

I have a nice folding handsaw which I use for nearly all big tasks, so a Hatchet would make more sense.

Seriously guys - Thank you - I very nearly went down the SFA & Mini route - which would have left me with 2 axes (probably neither of which would "feel" right.

I think the wildlife Hatchet is a sound choice (size, weight & the fact that it would be taken in the rucksack easily)

MC

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
Im a bit of a edge tool slut so i have others (mainly GFA) the things i like about it is due to the shape and the haft it is very powerfull chopper and very good for splitting. It now lives with the log basket and performs all the log splitting duties with ease. The shape of the head allows it to be choked up tight with your forfinger behind the blade, this gives lots of control and a nice secure and safe grip for carving etc. It a very pleasurable tool to use and good at most jobs. If i could only keep one it be this one, but wheres the fun in that :).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE