Is my axe safe?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rea

Jan 8, 2023
London
Hi, I've recently installed a very small woodburner and need to split kiln dried logs so they will fit in the firebox. I've purchased a old 2 1/4lb, 68cm long Kent pattern axe on Ebay (I pretty much have no idea about axes but thought that might work well for the task/a female.) The seller confirmed there were no splits in the wood, however it turns out there are several in the eye of the axe, which has been repaired with 2 metal strips. The head feels secure, but my question is whether the axe is safe to use given the wood is damaged, prehaps it rotted at some point? I don't think I can post a picture here which is a shame, but any advice would be appreciated.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Hello and welcome to the forum Rea. You'll be able to post on here without any problems once you've posted about 10 times. :)

The metal strips you mention could well be metal wedges which is normal to see. Once you can post some pics of your axe we'll be in a better postion to advise you on whether or not your axe is safe.

Reactions: Rea

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Safe is an interesting term.

An axe used badly is potentially leathal.

I doubt the head will be flying off anytime soon from your description.

id seek some guidance in tool use and maintenance as a priority.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
You can buy log splitters that can split your wood safely BTW. One I read about was designed by a 9 year old girl who was worried her mother might hurt herself splitting wood. A nice story but whether true I can't say.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Splits in the wood sitting inside the eye, or splits in the steel that makes the eye? I am having trouble visualising the situation, especially how either one could be repaired with metal strips.

Photos would be a huge help. Photos can be posted from a mobile using Tapatalk, but I prefer https://imgbb.com/ which works from a mobile or on a computer and needs no account creation.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Hi and welcome to the forum; most of us are axe mad and own more more than a few :)

First of all, a Kent pattern axe is a great choice for home log splitting and was the typical model in the coal shed years ago, especially 'up North'. If it's one of the old English makes it will be a good axe too.

As long as the head is not loose, the eye of the axe is not cracked, and the shaft is not so damaged as to risk breaking, it is highly unlikely your axe head will come adrift, Have a look at these two articles by Paul Kirtley, a respected wilderness skills instructor; there are others in the series if you search.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Don’t jump to binning the haft. It sounds to me like metal wedges.

Does it look like this?

7%2B%252815%2529.JPG

Reactions: Toddy

Rea

Jan 8, 2023
London

Does it look like this?

7%2B%252815%2529.JPG
Yes, the metal looks rather like that, but the wood is damaged. I used the word cracks, but it's a bit more than that, as I'd some has rotted away in the past.

Rea

Jan 8, 2023
London
Safe is an interesting term.

An axe used badly is potentially leathal.

I doubt the head will be flying off anytime soon from your description.

id seek some guidance in tool use and maintenance as a priority.
Yes, that was a concern for me too. I have a friend who will show me how to safely use it.

Rea

Jan 8, 2023
London

Does it look like this?

7%2B%252815%2529.JPG
Yes, the metal looks rather like that, but the wood is damaged. I used the word cracks, but it's a bit more than that, as I'd some has rotted away in the past.
You can buy log splitters that can split your wood safely BTW. One I read about was designed by a 9 year old girl who was worried her mother might hurt herself splitting wood. A nice story but whether true I can't say.
I see there are some which are used with a hammer and they're not too expensive. That might be an idea..

Rea

Jan 8, 2023
London
Splits in the wood sitting inside the eye, or splits in the steel that makes the eye? I am having trouble visualising the situation, especially how either one could be repaired with metal strips.

Photos would be a huge help. Photos can be posted from a mobile using Tapatalk, but I prefer https://imgbb.com/ which works from a mobile or on a computer and needs no account creation.
Thanks. Does this link to the photo work?

Rea

Jan 8, 2023
London
Hi and welcome to the forum; most of us are axe mad and own more more than a few :)

First of all, a Kent pattern axe is a great choice for home log splitting and was the typical model in the coal shed years ago, especially 'up North'. If it's one of the old English makes it will be a good axe too.

As long as the head is not loose, the eye of the axe is not cracked, and the shaft is not so damaged as to risk breaking, it is highly unlikely your axe head will come adrift, Have a look at these two articles by Paul Kirtley, a respected wilderness skills instructor; there are others in the series if you search.

Thank you. I think I've managed to post a link to a photo above. Do you think it looks okay?

Reactions: The Frightful

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Thank you. I think I've managed to post a link to a photo above. Do you think it looks okay?

I've zoomed in on the photos and can see nothing that would worry me about using that axe as long as the head is not loose. Obviously, I can't see the wedge.

Daniel Silcock was a good British Sheffield axe maker from around 1900 to early 50's I believe, but there was a Silcock manufacturer of edged tools in the same town in the 1870's. I would classify it as a collectors piece and worth having and using. The head is in good condition with no nicks on the cutting edge; looks like it could do with sharpening but it doesn't need to be 'super sharp' to split logs. Look after it, don't risk cutting down onto a hard surface and damaging the blade.

Rea

Jan 8, 2023
London
I've zoomed in on the photos and can see nothing that would worry me about using that axe as long as the head is not loose. Obviously, I can't see the wedge.

Daniel Silcock was a good British Sheffield axe maker from around 1900 to early 50's I believe, but there was a Silcock manufacturer of edged tools in the same town in the 1870's. I would classify it as a collectors piece and worth having and using. The head is in good condition with no nicks on the cutting edge; looks like it could do with sharpening but it doesn't need to be 'super sharp' to split logs. Look after it, don't risk cutting down onto a hard surface and damaging the blade.
That's great to know. Thank you.

Rea

Jan 8, 2023
London

Btw I think this photo shows the wedge https://ibb.co/v4q8Ykd

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Btw I think this photo shows the wedge https://ibb.co/v4q8Ykd

Sorry, missed that; I was looking at the e-bay listing photos. OK, not brilliant craftsmanship :) - but not the end of the world if the axe head is not loose. It can be very difficult, if not impossible, to remove metal wedges to 'repair' that so I'd be tempted to leave well alone until you have to.

If it was my axe I'd have a very good try at removing the metal wedges and fitting a new wooden one because there's a very good chance that is the original haft - but only when I needed to.

Reactions: Rea and Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE