Is my axe safe?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Impact nail pullers are pretty good at removing wedges, if decide to re-haft it, though buying one for solely that purpose is probably not sensible.

Dobloz

Jan 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
Yes, the metal looks rather like that, but the wood is damaged. I used the word cracks, but it's a bit more than that, as if some has rotted away in the past.

Here's a link to the axe listing https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16500604...MRuoTBBQXO&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I'm working on a picture of the eye...
The wood looks like it maybe ash?
Anyone else think different?
If you check for any movement in the axe, and it seems solid, then cautiously try it out.
Go to a safe area, try a gentle swing into 'soft' wood, ie a tree stump.
Then try 'wiggling' the handle around with increasing force until it comes out and see if the head is loose, if not then start increasing the power of your swings.
If the head stays firm, then you know you can use it.
If you're not sure what a 'safe area' is, or any other questions - the only silly question is the one which is not asked... :-D

Reactions: Rea

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
If its solid in the eye and wont wiggle, its safe, even if ugly.

An old Axe is probably better than a new. (unless you have a lot of money).

Can you sharpen it?

Does it have a mask? Can you make a mask for it?

Rea

Jan 8, 2023
London
If its solid in the eye and wont wiggle, its safe, even if ugly.

An old Axe is probably better than a new. (unless you have a lot of money).

Can you sharpen it?

Does it have a mask? Can you make a mask for it?
I have a sharpening stone so I'll have a go... I don't have a mask though. Do you know where I could get one for a Kent pattern axe?

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
A splitter doesn’t need to be razor sharp and also, if you store it sensibly you don’t need a mask. You could always make one out of other materials than leather - my first was from some old blind material and an elastic band!

Reactions: Rea and Toddy

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Another point to add to the good advice above, is if you are worried or concerned about it even with the advice on here will you be able to use it confidently.

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
Yes, the metal looks rather like that, but the wood is damaged. I used the word cracks, but it's a bit more than that, as I'd some has rotted away in the past.
Some people leave an axe standing on end and that part of the axe handle can get damp and rot. This is usually superficial but if the axe head feels loose or there are signs that it has moved matters can be improved by soaking the axe head in linseed oil which will make the wood swell and repel any more moisture. If the wood is spongy then it would be better to replace the handle.

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
Having just viewed the photo there is nothing wrong with the wedge, as said elsewhere, not pretty but serviceable. The axe head however is a genuine hand forged antique and probably far better than you can buy from most stores these days.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
not the prettiest but if it’s solid I would carry on using it.
As Stew says, not the prettiest fitting of wedges but fine to use if solid.

Personally, if it were my axe, I'd remove the metal wedge marked in red and replace it with a wooden wedge but that just personal preference to make it look neat and tidier.

One bit of advice is if the head ever becomes slightly loose never soak it in anything to make the wood swell because this crushes the fibres and when it dries out the head will be looser.

1673350125131.png

Dec 10, 2015
South Wales
As Stew says, not the prettiest fitting of wedges but fine to use if solid.

Personally, if it were my axe, I'd remove the metal wedge marked in red and replace it with a wooden wedge but that just personal preference to make it look neat and tidier.

One bit of advice is if the head ever becomes slightly loose never soak it in anything to make the wood swell because this crushes the fibres and when it dries out the head will be looser.

View attachment 77694
I was about to say the opposite. If the head does become slightly loose a temporary fix would be to soak it over night in linseed oil as this would buy some time. Your quite right in saying that you shouldn’t count it as a repair though.

Reactions: Ystranc

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE