Avoiding becomming a victim....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yes but while you are allowed to "utilize" any object, we aren't. Before we are allowed to defend ourselves (in most states anyway) there is a general "duty to retreat"; meaning if you can avoid (or escape) the assault by running away, then you must try that before you can fight back; armed or unarmed.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Crazy world we live in where there are procedures we have to follow when being attacked. Hopefully the aggressors will give us time to consult a law manuel before they attack, so as we don't exceed our authority.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
It's disappointing that this has gone from the OP's story that some guys tried (as far as I can tell entirely peacefully) to blag his credit card to talk of self defence and such things. In more than 50 replies there seems to have been no suggestion that the incident should have been reported to the police.

The police after all have duties and they can't easily carry them out if the public don't give them the information that they need. The police have an excellent computer system, and a few reports giving dates, times, locations, registration numbers and descriptions of vehicles and occupants could be very useful in helping the police to establish a pattern. After a pattern has been established a brief interview might be all that's required to turn someone away from a life of crime. Or at least bang him up for a few months.

We have the means to deal with crime in the UK, but we could make much better use of what we have.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I don't think anyone here is really advocating auto- defence. The OP wanted to know what to do in such occassions, how to appear less vulnerable & we all have our ideas on the subject.
Good point about reporting the incident to the police afterwards, the OP clearly felt threatened & there was a tentative, albeit mild, to extort funds. Who knows if these lads will try it on again or maybe go even further. We should not accept any anti-social behaviour & the police are there to help us.

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
It is illegal to carry any object with the intention of using it as a weapon in the UK, although you can utilise objects you happen to be carrying in order to defend yourself if assaulted. Yes, I know how that sounds to an American, but it's just the way it is.

car keys can be surprisingly effective, or so ive heard.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Being attired the way I normally am, with a minor alteration to my accent, a quick accusation of "Were you the feckers up near my caravan site last night?" and an aggressive stance normally sends most people packing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE