Avoiding becomming a victim....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
People do moronic things so the best thing to do is be prepared for a situation but do your best to avoid one in the first place.

I find looking like this helps..

+ don't think you all want to see me flexing, so pic removed ;)

Me at my mothers bbq a few years back ;)

Seriously though, just be vigelant and carefull when out at night where the trouble makers might linger.

get one of these..http://www.heinnie.com/product.asp?P_ID=6328

or one of these..http://www.heinnie.com/product.asp?...strPageHistory=search&numSearchStartRecord=25

Last edited:
May 16, 2011
Perth
It sounds like you might have a bit of an anxiety problem (with the spidey senses and all that) which isn't a bad thing because i suffer the same But in a bad way i hate being around people i dont know. since i was sent to the gulf iv felt that everyone is out to get me. if you get the "spidey senses" take a deep breath and get on with what you are doing. hope for the best prepare for the worst. if the worst comes to worst go for the biggest or most cocky in the group and the rest will more that likely back off. if they don't they are highly unlikely to kill you so nothing to worry about think of it as conditioning (like getitng a callus from i knife it starts as a blister and sore after that it doesnt hurt at all)

anxiety is good at least your aware of you surroundings so you can get out before something bad happens just don't let it take over!

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
kids who gang on individuals never really intend on killing them, but it happens. When reckless idiots stab people they don't always intend to kill them, but it happens.

Being aware of the dangers these degenerates pose is wise, but dwelling on it will make your life more difficult.

May 16, 2011
Perth
But it happens very rarely so why worry about something that might not happen. no point going through life worrying that something might happen to you otherwise you will be wasting your life

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
My personal favorite; travel with a companion. Very few thugs (unarmed ones anyway) are willing to try someone whose best mate is the Rottweiler at the other end of the leash.

Karl82

Oct 15, 2010
Leicester
This is in no way addvice on how you should respond its just how i would have responded having grown up in South Africa im a bit of a nutter. i would have looked straight at them and said yea right nice try and left it at that and egnored sill childish comments however, if they had then got agressive i would simply asked them witch one wanted to die first and walked staraight at the instigater.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
southey would you mind removing the link of my picture please mate! haha it was only supposed to be up for a few minutes as a joke and I don't want to gros out the ladies!

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
LOL ! reminds me of a mate of mine some time back when confronted by a group of youths in the local park one evening, they were getting a bit agressive and mouthy, ( at this point he will admit he was scared ) he took his glasses off and said " one of you f***ers is going to get hurt who's it going to be ! " and went at them ! he say's they legged it, he's still got all his own teeth so i believe him :)

now if that'd been me, i would have got a kicking........just my luck ! :)

May 16, 2011
Perth
southey would you mind removing the link of my picture please mate! haha it was only supposed to be up for a few minutes as a joke and I don't want to gros out the ladies!

Haha i dont think you will grose out the ladies just thin out the vein ones

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
It's really all about body language and confidence.

As i was bought up on some pretty rough estates, as i kid i quickly learnt never to look down when passing the local gangs of lads.
You also don't stare to long either, it's more a case of acknowledging they're there but not a lingering stare.

I think that's pretty much carried me well throughout the rest of my life as even though i've been in some really sticky situations a bit of a cocky comment and smile tend to get me through most tough situations.

I also agree that hair and clothes make a difference, when i used to have to wear a shirt and tie it was obvious these sort of folks look at you different.

Best advice i can give is act confident (but not arrogant), if the same situation occurs again nonchalantly check the car out, without really looking in the windows.

End of the day if some scum has you marked out as a target, there is not much you can do about it except defend yourself, but these scum do have a talent for picking the marks that will give em the least amount of trouble.
If you seem confident then there is a good chance they'll look somewhere else.

This is very good advice.

Be observant, be relaxed, treat the place you are in as if you belong there. I used to walk from Camberwell to Brixton down the Coldharbour Lane most evenings - often in the dark. Anyone who knows South London will know what that means. I never attracted any trouble of any kind. Maybe I was just lucky...

If trouble does find me - I keep my mouth shut and my eyes open. I don't say a word, observe the situation, gauge the threat and prepare for fight or flight. They usually get bored and go away.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
so one question for ya, if you see a group further up the road you need to pass, and think could be trouble, do you cross the road and obviously try to avoid passing right by them, or hold your own and skim past? No need to provoke, but crossing shows weakness. Tough call.

In my experience there is no hard and fast rule.

What i'd personally do would depend on a fair few factors.

1/ What area am i in.
If i'm in a quiet town and they're just local kids i'd walk straight through, if i was in a known bad estate with known gang and violent crime i'd need a bit more info from below.

2/ What is their behaviour like.
If they looked like drugged up thugs then you stand a better chance if it does come to violence BUT there is also a higher risk of a life threatening injury of death, as in my experience these types really don't care.

3/ Are you on a quiet alley or a major street.
Not as though any body would step up and help these days, but it might be busy enough to put off some types.

4/ What's my state of mind like, what clothes am i wearing.
If i'm knackered, tired drunk etc then i might not be able to trust my judgement 100%.
For clothes if i'm in shorts and sandles then i'll be less likely to do as much foot damage than if i'm coming home from work in steel toe caps.

I guess what i'm saying is, there is no hard and fast rule for this sort of stuff, a lot depends on many many things.
As an example, purely based on state of mind, i've ran away from guys that look like they'd fall over if i farted and stood toe to toe and slogged it out with bouncers who's arms were bigger than my legs.

Another thing is, it's ok saying a "big stick" is a solution, unfortunately though in this day and age i'm in absolutely no doubt if you used a big stick to defend yourself then you'd be up on charges.
A tactic many clued up gangs use, is to press charges for assault simply so they can get more details on your name, where you life etc.
They get the cops to investigate and do their work.

Once they've got this info you'll be experiencing a fair bit of bother, from vandalism to your car, property etc, to violence or threats of violence against you and your family.

If it comes to that it's far better to pick something up in the area, like a fence post, rock etc.
That way it's not premeditated and it's clear you were using reasonable force to defend yourself.

Lastly a bluff often works if you know how to carry it off.
Had 5 youths approach me in a known bad estate once, it was obvious by their clothes and demeanour that they were the wannabe gansta types.
I got the usual "you got a fag" and knew something was likely to knick off.
As a couple started moving round to surround me i kinda looked around to see who was watching and if there were any cars, at the same time as i reached for the area between my jeans and my back.
they all understood i was going for my firearm and stepped off pretty quickly.

Thing is i had absolutely nothing there, it was all a bluff.

Now if they were carrying a firearm, or they'd have called my bluff i'd had been screwed.
But because i was acting confident, gave em that "this is EXACTLY what i've been waiting for" smile and looking around in a "make sure they're no witnesses" way i got away with it.

So a lot of it is simply thinking on your feet and knowing the mentality or these thugs and weighing up the risks versus walking away.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...What is their behaviour like.
If they looked like drugged up thugs then you stand a better chance if it does come to violence...

Not really. When I was still a patrol deputy we encountered mostly drugged up individuals. They feel no pain, know no fatigue and generally have increased strength and speed depending on what drugs are used. I've been in situations where it took 3 trained officers to subdue individuals who just shook off being tased; absorbed strikes from a collapsible baton as if it were a pool noodle and threw deputies around like rag dolls. One individual took a blast of pepper spray to the face, a taser jolt and was still strangling a city cop. He was finally stopped by two shots of 00 buckshot from the officers partner.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE