Aspen 4T GB interest ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
hi, is there just one type of panel wipe?

No, there are hundreds. My advice is whatever you get read the Material Safety Data Sheet, as some of them that I've read for panel wipe products would make your hair stand on end. Many of these products are designed as part of a "paint system" for application only by "trained operators" in "controlled conditions" and the documentation for the products often specifically forbids using it for anything other than what it's intended for. On the other hand some of them say that burning it will just give you carbon dioxide and water which I'd consider to be not dangerous in small enough quantities. :) Note that some of the panel wipe products are water based, so if you get a stove running on them we'd all like to know. :)

I've tried several times to get Aspen 4T from suppliers locally, and eventually gave up. What the Website says about the suppliers and what the suppliers say about the suppliers are totally different things. One guy in Nottingham had me waiting literally for months saying he was going to get some in and finally admitted he had no intention of getting any because it wasn't cost-effective for him to stock it.

For my Hiker 111B at the moment I'm experimenting with a mixture of easily available alternatives. One is a brake cleaning fluid from a local cleaning chemicals supplier (don't tell him it's for burning or he'll get it in the neck from the VAT man; it's almost pure heptane so there's little to worry about if you burn it) and the other is lamp oil, which is more or less paraffin. On their own the brake cleaner is too light, paraffin is too heavy. A 50:50 mixture works well in the Hiker, it isn't fussy about the exact ratio. The nice thing about the brake cleaner is that it's about seven quid a gallon, so a lot cheaper than anything else I've found that will burn as cleanly.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE