Water - the heaviest necessity... How much is needed!?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rich83

Sep 6, 2012
Selsey, West Sussex
Hey all.

I have only really done 24-30 days. These usually involve three hours walking to find somewhere to camp and then the three hours on the way back so a total of six hours hard work. I take hydrated foods so I don't need water for that purpouse and I boil in the bag and make a cuppa with the water so none is wasted. As I go for a short time I usually shower before I set off and then take some baby wipes to freshen up should I feel the need so don't wash with water.

I normally take 8 litres of the stuff. I'll often drink 2-3 litres each way from my Camelbak and the rest I'll use while I am set up. I never have dark yellow urine, it's usually pretty clear so I know I am getting enough water but that makes me wonder if I could get away with taking less.

The wonderful thing with the Camelbak is that you can constantly sip at it and I do this. My brother in law who just carries a litre bottle doesn't even usually finish that on the same trek with me. I wonder as I can constantly sip am I taking in more than I need?

We tend to camp where there is no water so what we take is all we have. That appears to be the nature of the secluded areas of the South Downs. Now it's starting to rain we'll be able to collect a bit off the top of the bivi but we'll need to take some just in case it doesn't rain.

Can anyone suggest the following:

• Enough water to be comfortable for 24 hours, when you consider that up to eight of those hours will be trekking with a heavy pack.
  • Enough water to get by on for 24 hours, should I not take enough or the bottle bursts etc.

I am not so interested in the minimum to survive as the last thing I want is to be significantly uncomfortable, it's more that I wonder if I am just drinking it for the sake of it, and carrying the 5l bottle and the 3l Camelbak just because I always have, and to be fair always finished most of it too! Can I comfortably take less or am I taking a sensible amount? It's just so damned heavy!

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
What is your access like to a water supply (clean or dirty)? I'm guessing that even on the Downs you can't be far from chalk streams and the like?

I used to carry water for a whole trip, but now I take a litre and the rest comes via a purifier from water collected at the streams on the way or nearby.

Rich83

Sep 6, 2012
Selsey, West Sussex
Thanks for the posts. I've not yet gone anywhere with a source of water. What I usually do is get on Google Maps and check sat maps of the local area and then just go walking in the dense wooded parts that come up on the maps. I like to stay lo key so woodland allows that and gives loads of shelter when you just camp in a bivi bag. I experimentation will be the way to go. The more I carry the more I will need to drink due to the weight as well I suppose and in the winter I guess I'll need less as I won't sweat as much.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
For me, 5l per 24 hours is a good starting point and is the amount I take if I don't filter on site.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Thanks for the posts. I've not yet gone anywhere with a source of water. What I usually do is get on Google Maps and check sat maps of the local area and then just go walking in the dense wooded parts that come up on the maps. I like to stay lo key so woodland allows that and gives loads of shelter when you just camp in a bivi bag. I experimentation will be the way to go. The more I carry the more I will need to drink due to the weight as well I suppose and in the winter I guess I'll need less as I won't sweat as much.

Don't underestimate the effect of the cold on your body. You might sweat less than in summer, but due to the cold your body creates some (stress) hormon that makes you get a bit dehydrated (not sure how that works, I'm no doc ;)). Also being fully hydrated makes blood flows better, keeping you warm.

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
Everyone is different and it depends what you are using the water for cooking, washing etc. for 24 hrs I would take 3 lts just for drinking whether hot or cold. Personally I would ditch the camelback and keep your water in your pack it's a lot less tempting to sip water this way. I usually pack a couple of oranges , very refreshing. Your hydrated food will probably contain a high salt level this can also make you thirsty. As will fizzy drinks , alcohol, salted nuts etc. Also you imply that even without water your pack is heavy yet you are only out 24 hrs maybe you can look at this. As I said everyone is different it is trial and error. One tip my Grandad passed on from his time in the desert in the war was to breathe through your nose when walking. It try to do this as much as possible you do seem to drink less. I always chew gum as well it helps keep you mouth moist. Hope these few thoughts help a little.

the

--------------------------------------------
"If we had some bacon we could have bacon and eggs, if we had some eggs"

Silverclaws

Forager
Jul 23, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
I take a litre and fill up as needed from the best sources, but I don't drink a lot, I never have and have only drunk when the mind says I am thirsty. Up on the moors or mountains I drink direct from fast flowing sources, and if I have to draw from lowland my water bottle has it's own filter that might get most of the nasties if they are present, but perhaps I should carry the MSR that I have and start using the nalgene bottle that fits straight on the bottom of the filter.

Rich83

Sep 6, 2012
Selsey, West Sussex
Thanks for all your advice. I have lightened my pack as much as I can and have brought where possible light weight gear. The thing I want to do is go for 48 hours you see, and if I could take less water then that'd be great as it would obviously make my pack lighter and if I could stretch the 8 litres I take for two days then that'd be great :)

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Thanks for all your advice. I have lightened my pack as much as I can and have brought where possible light weight gear. The thing I want to do is go for 48 hours you see, and if I could take less water then that'd be great as it would obviously make my pack lighter and if I could stretch the 8 litres I take for two days then that'd be great :)

Rich, that is an extremely heavy pack you're carrying with 8 ltrs of water and wet rations :eek:

Rich83

Sep 6, 2012
Selsey, West Sussex
I know! I've just ordered a fancy new pack. I was using the army version of the Karrimore Predator 45 which was poo as it had no belt and appalling straps. Just got a framed pack which I always preferred so we'll see if it feels more comfy. I need to lighten the load I know that and maybe I carry too much... I never use my change of clothes so maybe I can ditch that for a 24 hour one, especially as I carry thermal over gear for the evenings. Pah after reading some of this I am beginning to wonder if I am glamping lol :)

Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
Dude, as others have said, take 1 or 2 litres (if you must) and find the rest.

I have run for perhaps 4 hours across the moors and need only 1L. If overnighting I take an additional 2l platty bag which I keep empty right up until my last watering point - obviously I treat the water too. I used to run / walk with a platty and drinking pipe and found I was just constantly sucking on th ething and using up water, about 6 years ago I stopped and just carry a platty in my bag without a pipe, when I stop to check the map I have a quick sip - much better IMHO.

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
Rich how much does your pack weigh without food and water ? This time of year mine would be about 15lbs. 8 litres of water weighs about 17 lbs ,I think (950g per litre) , plus food that's a great deal of weight without your pack. There are some great you tube vids about what people carry if you haven't already had a look. In the end it's not about what everyone else does it's what you are happy with and the enjoyment you get.

Rich83

Sep 6, 2012
Selsey, West Sussex
I will let you know when it arrives! I have just got a new one. I think I am just taking too much crap. I will sort my kit out and weigh it and make a thread so everyone can rip it to shreds lol and tell me what to not bother with. I think I like my luxuries too much!

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
1L of water is 1 kg surely? + containment

I am an idiot you are quite right 1lt is 1 kg . I was typing and thinking of food pack weights. Thanks for putting me right . Mind you it's started a debate here at work I didn't realise we had so many scientists.

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
You are braver than me if you list what you take in your pack, but you will get sound advice I do know that.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE