Article: Bear V Mears: BBC survival expert says Channel 4 rival is 'just a showman'

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I'm not sure of your motivation for drawing attention to a May 2008 article. Are things too quiet on here for your liking Tony?

Remember, Ray Mears wasn't in the desert on his own in his show either; he stayed in a hotel, he had the TV crew backup and had dinner cooked for him that night (allegedly). They are all a bunch of money making actors and you watch them for entertainment :) I like both guys and really do not see the value in bringing this up again.

As I've said before, having seen both of them in the flesh, I know who I'd rather share mycampfire with.

There, I've started the 'discussion'; happy?

Cheers,

Broch

Schism

Jan 8, 2011
Kernow
I dont mind either, Bear is more suvival where as mears is traditional bushcraft, i have time for both but as above there both entertainers

A friend of mine grew up next door to ray mears and never had a good word to say about him

anyway i have respect for the knoledge they both have and what i can learn from them but this topic will always come up

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Tony, you are a bad man. Tin hat time.

DSC05142-1.gif

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Rather have a beer with Bruce Parry or Lars Monsen than either of them.

[Although they are all better than watching the dreaded TV Chefs and soap's.....]

*It was either this or post a photo of Vic and Bob, with handbags out.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I'm not sure of your motivation for drawing attention to a May 2008 article. Are things too quiet on here for your liking Tony?

Remember, Ray Mears wasn't in the desert on his own in his show either; he stayed in a hotel, he had the TV crew backup and had dinner cooked for him that night (allegedly). They are all a bunch of money making actors and you watch them for entertainment :) I like both guys and really do not see the value in bringing this up again.

As I've said before, having seen both of them in the flesh, I know who I'd rather share mycampfire with.

There, I've started the 'discussion'; happy?

Cheers,

Broch

He he, No, I'm moving stuff over and it was one of the ones that came over, it's dated in the system as 2008 and I'd not realised that it would create a thread about it with today's date, for some reason I was thinking that it would be near the bottom of the list and probably wouldn't even get noticed.

Let's make sure that it doesn't kick off in any way, I'd rather people didn't bother commenting if it's just to slate either of them.

Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
Its late, I'm back from work, I know its not a serious thread but I'm going anyway....

Its an easy one, Ray is great at what he does, Bear is great at what he does. But what they do is DIFFERENT.

And anyone, I do mean anyone , who summits Everest is far more than "just" a showman. In fact, from hereon hows about anyone who wants to slag anyone off first has to equal their achievements.

Want to slag Ray off? Feel free, once you have become known and accepted as the all round bushcraft expert that he has - with similar demand for your time, your books, DVDs, lectures, products, courses, tv programmes ........

Want to slag Bear off? No es problemo. First get accepted into the TA SAS, recover from a broken back, summit Everest, become head of the boy scout movement ( I know, I've got the exact title wrong - sue me)....etc.

Frankly, I'd be well chuffed to be in eithers league in terms of knowledge or experience.

And off to bed.

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
Remember that the article was from the MAIL ONLINE , Ray probably said no comment so they just made it up.

Anyway they are both good at what they do , very different but good.

both Ray and Bear have their knockers but Ray has a better pair!:eek:

Craig..............

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
He he, No, I'm moving stuff over and it was one of the ones that came over, it's dated in the system as 2008 and I'd not realised that it would create a thread about it with today's date, for some reason I was thinking that it would be near the bottom of the list and probably wouldn't even get noticed.

Let's make sure that it doesn't kick off in any way, I'd rather people didn't bother commenting if it's just to slate either of them.

Sorry Tony, I guessed that when I saw the second 2008 thread but I'd waded in by then :)

Cheers,

Broch

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
First get accepted into the TA SAS

Remember SAS Selection is the same whether your a volunteer or enlisted, so just SAS would be accurate.
but i agree with all your points on both chaps, however its still fun to fuel the argument and see other members froth and rant :D

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
IIRC Ray was asked about those comments above at a lecture in Tunbridge Wells. He said he never commented on BG himself but rather on the style of programme and production that Discovery put out aimed at entertainment over serious content. He never called Bear a boy scout or inferred that he was superior and more professional.

Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
Remember SAS Selection is the same whether your a volunteer or enlisted, so just SAS would be accurate.
but i agree with all your points on both chaps, however its still fun to fuel the argument and see other members froth and rant :D

Absolutely . But if i'd just said the SAS someone would have chipped in with "only the TA,not as good" sort of comments.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE