Are you a Swiss Army Knife owner?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Do you own (or have you owned) a SAK?

• Total voters

pwb

Just received my new Victorinox Handyman today, having fun playing with all the new toys and tools !

One question.... Just what do people use the hook for?
Victorinox-Hook.gif

Here's one use for the hook :rolleyes: .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVEZl-32iTE

Alternatively lifting the lid on your billy :) .

Pete.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
...... One question.... Just what do people use the hook for?...... ]

I have found the hook to be an absolute lifesaver!

Having rescued a beautiful lady from the clutches of evil baddies, we found ourselves at the top of a building with hordes of heavily armed evil doer's racing up the stairs after us.

With the aforementioned beautiful lady clinging to my shoulders, I deployed the Swiss Champ hook tool and we slid down the phone line securing wire to the adjacent lower buildings roof top and made our escape!

Well, it worked for 007!
happy0009.gif

Its also useful when infiltrating pirate gangs in the South China Sea, parrot optional.
happy0054.gif

Realistically, the use of the tool is limited by imagination only!

nige7whit

Forager
Feb 10, 2009
Brize Norton / Midlands (rest)
Maybe it's an ongoing joke by the Swiss cutlers?

An emergency braking device issued to the military, at all levels?

As a RAF engineer, serving on Tornado F3 fighter aircraft, I can't help noticing the similarity... Except the only pic I could get at short notice is a Tornado GR
1288961.jpg

VtBlackdog

Tenderfoot
Nov 12, 2008
VT~USA
Vic all the way; my EDC is a Hiker or OHT/PE, both convexed....the saw is handy for making dovetail joints when taking a break during a hike.

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
Got my Victorinox farmer a while ago, great knife. Good grip on the scales, plus they just look cool. Fewer tools than I'm used to but I haven't really had a need for a corkscrew recently so it's fine, not too many, not too few. Though I do miss the toothpick for cleaning stuff out of the knife and the tweezers for splinters and such. That hook is kind of weird... I guess it was meant for a parcel carrying hook and then because that wouldn't really be used anymore they had to call it a multi functional hook, just so it wouldn't sound like a waste of space. I guess it does have it's uses though, based on that video!

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
I've got mine on my keyring, it's very handy, but I don't tend to use it while bushcrafting as I normally have other tools ith me that could do the job a lot better.

Apr 29, 2009
exeter
I keep hearing that the Victorinox 'Mauser' knives are rare and collectible.... I have one, and it's nice, but I wouldn't have thought it particularly collectible, it's only a simple knife !

Is there any value in a hardly used but clumsily sharpened Mauser knife? I don't use it these days, so it could be a candidate for waving goodbye, along with a few othe knives that I don't use these days.

Oh my god! SELL IT TO ME! SELL IT TO ME! I used to have one and I loved it but my bloke took it out of the house one day and bloody lost it for me, despite having his own Mauser (which he still has!) I shamed him into buying me a lovely Leatherman but I would dearly love to have another of these. I am serious!!

Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
At last count I own three.

1) Sits on my beltkit at work. ( Don't know the name)

2) Sits on a Karabiner with my keys and a mini photon type light. ( Don't know the name)

3) A "Rucksak" which is my absolute favourite knife . This goes with me every time I venture into the outdoors any more than just walking the dogs on the local fields. If carrying a locking blade was legal I would have this knife with me constantly.

Either me or someone nearby absolutely "needs" to use my SAk at least once a day. When I rule the world I will make it law to carry one.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Hoodoo!!!

Please stop showing off!:lmao: :You_Rock_

Is there any knife you don't possess?

Dave

PS - 27 SAK's at the last count. Most often carry a Hiker, Huntsman or Camper. But others get used depending on my mood, or what gets picked up first.:)

Air Pirate

Tenderfoot
Mar 16, 2009
Nashville, TN, USA
I have a buddy that is getting into bushcraft. He refuses to carry a SAK. I asked him why, and he said it was because an SAK was his first knife and he's moved beyond them. As for me, I'm hardly ever without one.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
I keep my 30 kwid one, not sure of the make, got it for my 16th birthday, in my rucksac.

In used it today whilst in a blizzard in the Etive hills, my socks were soaked and my hand was cold but could not open laces to replace the socks so used the knifes pliers to help. Used my teeth to get the pliers out !

The only thing I have not used on it is the fish descaler.

Nick

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
I finally go one a couple of weeks ago.

I've had cheepo versions over the years, but I got a cadet one.

Really pleased with the quality of it,and my god it the tin opener good.

I prefer lock knifes (Buck 110) and full tang sheath knifes normally woodlore copys and a brilliant little enzo trapper, my current knife of choice, and will be for a LONG time I reckon.

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
I just put my farmer in to get ingraved today, it's going to have my initials, all four of them, on it. Doesn't anyone else ever get theirs ingraved? I feel like I'm the only one getting any use out of the engraving panel "tool" lol.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE