Are you a Swiss Army Knife owner?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Do you own (or have you owned) a SAK?

• Total voters

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
IMO the Farmer is possibly THE best SAK there is. Great for EDC, small, safe and reliable. Much better built than it's plastic scaled cousins.

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
I carry a Victorinox Rucksack, it's a bit bigger than the classic sak so it fits a bit better in my hand imo. The knife locks and it has all the basics I often need and no useless stuff I'd never use... Very happy with it and basically lives in my pocket :)
vn53661.gif

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
I've got a new 'best SAK ever'.

One of these:
31ATC271A0L._SL500_AA275_.jpg

All of the useful tools and none of the guff, the awl is better at the end IMHO and there is even a version of this + a saw.

For some reason it's called the 'electrician', which might put some people off.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Got one, at last! Funnily enough, I've poted for the same one as The Ratbag, a complete coincidence as I didn't know he carried one.

0809140033.jpg

0809140035.jpg

Alox Farmer. Didn't look in this thread beofre choosing neither, although it seems to be a popular choice.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Ive got the Camper. Rearly like the Farmer but just wanted the extra shorter knife for whittleling, and the corkscrew for the odd time I buy decent wine. Thinking of rehandleing in wood though.

Rothley Bill

Forager
Aug 11, 2008
Rothley, Leicestershire
Same one as mad dave the spartan, usually in my pocket at all times but I have to be careful as I fly alot !!
I have used it for about 8 years, replaced the scales when they broke and keep it scarily sharp, it seems to keep a good edge.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I've got three currently.
a swisschamp that lives in a pocket of my satchel, an executive that is an occasional edc, and a Huntsman that I need to find a use for, but I got it cheap online.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
No.

If I need a specific tool for a project, I go get THAT SPECIFIC TOOL instead of trying to use some simple poor knock-off of it. The rest is just excess weight to lug around - and most being used very seldom.

But that's just my opinion.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

p.s. Who has also "improvised" many tools on-the-spot to meet the current need.

crwydryny

Tenderfoot
Oct 1, 2008
south wales
I have two, though only one is an original the other is a cheep knockoff but does the job though I don't actually use them much any more and they live in the bottom of my drawer with much of my knife collection. as I usually rely on my hunting knife and penknife for most of my out door needs.

kato

Tenderfoot
Oct 18, 2006
NW England
I have carried a Mini Champ on my keys for about 15 years now and a few years ago I found out about the Alox range.

The first Alox model I bought was the Electrician which is like the Soldier but has a small utility blade instead of the can opener,this has been my EDC for the past few years and I find the small utility blade very handy.

The small curved part of the blade used for stripping the sheath from electrical cables is great for casting sparks on a ferro rod;)

Since buying my first Alox model I seem to have caught the bug and have started collecting them the latest one I have managed to buy is a vintage red Farmer which is now my EDC.

I will take some pics of my full collection soon but for now here's a pic from a few months ago.
023.jpg

Left to Right = Electrician,Soldier,Red Pioneer,Farmer,Blue Farmer.

ridge rover

Oct 7, 2008
Nashville, Tennessee
I'm in the Ron Hood school of thought on SAKs.

Wenger or Victorinox, Big blade, locking blade, saw. He calls the SAK as your "primary knife."

I have a Rucksack that sits on a shelf. I replaced it with a one handed Trekker. It has a phillips head screwdriver which allows me to carry the smaller Mini-Leatherman that is without this screwdriver.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I don't disagree - my favourite SAK is in many ways my Wenger Ranger 57.

However over here you can't carry a locking blade without immediate need so I carry a non locking Huntsman lite for that

So its one of these.........

2607644693_febe69a524_o.jpg

Red

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
I have a few- one lives in my climbing sack, one in my walking sack- that way I never forget them. And one in my response pack for bushcrafting, and one in my desk at home, and a mini one in my day to day bumbag..............
They are just too useful to be without.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE