Are people making enough crafts?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Hmmm... One of those posts that starts people trying to put "bushcraft" into a neatly labled box.

I see your point exactly Jon. We should make more and buy less but such arguments can end up going in circles.

For example, if we are all being "bushcrafters" shouldn't we be making leaf shelters instead of using tarps and tents.

On the other hand, if we all made natural shelters how would that lie with the minimum impact philosophy?

I often take something to do with me when I am out in the wilds, usually it's my photography that gets me there in the first place but often there are periods of waiting for the right light or conditions.

At such times I like to do something with my hands but very rarely do I think to record the process for posting on this site.

I did take one picture recently in Norway of me making a leather storage bag while waiting for the sun to set.

But it doesn't show much detail I'm afraid.
leatherworking.jpg

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
That just looks like bliss... Great photo! so colourfull!

The DIY section seems to have got a little busier in the last few days. Weve got:

Mike DB's Tankard and leather flask!
Thijzzz's Hipflask
g4ghb's leather pouch and Notebooks!
Jedadiah's sheath
Jon picket's mortar +pestle
Stovies Cidar press

I could keep listing! there is loads more! Its great to see and makes this site a joy to visit!

Cheers!

Jon

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Yes John, andit's probably YOUR fault!:D

Seriously though, i've been tinkering around and knocking stuff together for a while now. It aint great, but, you have to start somewhere. Leathercraft by the Four Horsemen of the Acropolis (John Fenna, Eric Methven, Dougster and Singtek) have all inspired me along with Rapidboy and his sheath magnificence, MikeDB with his work rate and inventivness and all the favourable comments and constructive critisim have encouraged me forward rather than anything else.

When you started this thread, i thought that it was about time to stop hanging around Kit and resources all the time and go create!

As i said before, my stuff is not a patch on the afore mentioned and many others (did you see the platypus leather flask, actually both of them! Wow!) but aspirations are like a map and compass; they are needed if you want to get anywhere!

Thanks for getting me off my flabby backside Jon.:)

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have thought long and hard about the comments I have made on this thread and have come to realise that I have just been idle and lazy and giving up to quickly when it comes to a project which normally isn't a trait of mine.
So from now on I am going to start giving various projects a go. First of all I need to get the walnut handle on my new knife. And then go from there.
If my old man was around today he would be ashamed of my DIY laziness because he was a nut for the DIY stuff. So I have just given myself a good kick up the backside:buttkick: , and now I promise to change my ways!!!!!:rolleyes:

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
There seems to be a lot of talk about equipment on BCUK but i dont see enough people using their equipmant to make things! There are about 6500 members on BCUK and for a bushcraft website there doesnt seem to be many people making crafts. There will proberbly be only a couple of threads a week showing things that people have made in the DIY section and thats it!

The DIY section of the site is my favorite part and its a shame people dont make more things. I appreciate the fact that people dont have much time and resources these days...

For me 'Bushcraft' is mostly about 'crafts'. It puzzles me why i dont see more people making things.

I hope you can see what i mean:)

Jon

ime afraid i mostly make knives and so post them in the edged tools section! sorry!

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I have thought long and hard about the comments I have made on this thread and have come to realise that I have just been idle and lazy and giving up to quickly when it comes to a project which normally isn't a trait of mine.
So from now on I am going to start giving various projects a go. First of all I need to get the walnut handle on my new knife. And then go from there.
If my old man was around today he would be ashamed of my DIY laziness because he was a nut for the DIY stuff. So I have just given myself a good kick up the backside:buttkick: , and now I promise to change my ways!!!!!:rolleyes:

Go for it Greg.....Tis good fun knocking up stuff and you end up with something useful which you will always enjoy using...

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
That just looks like bliss... Great photo! so colourfull!

The DIY section seems to have got a little busier in the last few days. Weve got:

Mike DB's Tankard and leather flask!
Thijzzz's Hipflask
g4ghb's leather pouch and Notebooks!
Jedadiah's sheath
Jon picket's mortar +pestle
Stovies Cidar press

I could keep listing! there is loads more! Its great to see and makes this site a joy to visit!

Cheers!

Jon

Job done young un!:buttkick:

Kind regards
R.B.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire

Go for it Greg!
Enough of the ready-mades!
You can do it!
And you mentioned rewiring my house a while back......:D

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Yes John, andit's probably YOUR fault!:D

Seriously though, i've been tinkering around and knocking stuff together for a while now. It aint great, but, you have to start somewhere. Leathercraft by the Four Horsemen of the Acropolis (John Fenna, Eric Methven, Dougster and Singtek) have all inspired me along with Rapidboy and his sheath magnificence, MikeDB with his work rate and inventivness and all the favourable comments and constructive critisim have encouraged me forward rather than anything else.

When you started this thread, i thought that it was about time to stop hanging around Kit and resources all the time and go create!

As i said before, my stuff is not a patch on the afore mentioned and many others (did you see the platypus leather flask, actually both of them! Wow!) but aspirations are like a map and compass; they are needed if you want to get anywhere!

Thanks for getting me off my flabby backside Jon.:)
I am glad you quote me as an inspirer - but I am not worthy of being quoted BEFORE the other 3 horsemen - they are the guys who inspire me (among others!) I am a try-er they are the masters!
I love the platty pouch water flask!

jasons

Settler
Jan 15, 2006
Tain Scotland
There seems to be a lot of talk about equipment on BCUK but i dont see enough people using their equipmant to make things! There are about 6500 members on BCUK and for a bushcraft website there doesnt seem to be many people making crafts. There will proberbly be only a couple of threads a week showing things that people have made in the DIY section and thats it!

The DIY section of the site is my favorite part and its a shame people dont make more things. I appreciate the fact that people dont have much time and resources these days...

For me 'Bushcraft' is mostly about 'crafts'. It puzzles me why i dont see more people making things.

Jon
You could say that about a lot of things on this site .like how many of you lot get out there and camp out or get together for meetups .that puzzles me

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
I'm a leather worker. Not brilliant or professional, but i worked in a leather factory for a fair while and picked up the trade there.
I've made scabbards, pouches, bags, holsters, straps, belts, baccy pouches and the occasional waistcoat or jacket.

I've also made armour from leather and metals. I did this for roughly 13 years before giving it up to get a better paid job but the skills are still all there but i just don't have the funds for materials or time anymore unfortunately.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
I am glad you quote me as an inspirer - but I am not worthy of being quoted BEFORE the other 3 horsemen - they are the guys who inspire me (among others!) I am a try-er they are the masters!
I love the platty pouch water flask!

Well John, here's the rub. The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse were War, Famine, Pestilence and Death. Now, i have not seen pictures of Eric Dougster and Singtek but i saw a pic of you on another thread (did someone say Bob Hoskins in the back?) so, with all the best will in the world, you could'nt be Famine or Death!:D You all seem like nice blokes so none of you could really be War, so i thought the Four Horsemen of the Acropolis should all be pestilence (Highly Infectious!). War rode a red horse, Famine black, Pestilence white and Death Grisled, so again, artistic licence took over and the Acropolis Four all ride Grisled horses (Awe Inspiring!)

So, because all your work in awe inspiring and your skills and enthusiasm is highly infectious, you are the Four Horsemen of the Acropolis! Don't get me started on Rapidboy and MikeDB as it will get too biblical!:rolleyes:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hah!
Did pestilence (or Bob Hoskins) ever look this good?
And Yes - I made most of my costume myself, no - I did not sew all the sequins by hand!
Come and see me make something else (an ar*e of my self - again) at the Attic Players Newcastle Emlyn Carmarthenshire this year, when our Panto is Mother Hubbard
Sep05948.jpg

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Hah!
Did pestilence (or Bob Hoskins) ever look this good?
And Yes - I made most of my costume myself, no - I did not sew all the sequins by hand!
Come and see me make something else (an ar*e of my self - again) at the Attic Players Newcastle Emlyn Carmarthenshire this year, when our Panto is Mother Hubbard
Sep05948.jpg

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Has anyone seen Marlin? HE'S BEHIND YOOOOOOO!:lmao: :lmao:

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
So, because all your work in awe inspiring and your skills and enthusiasm is highly infectious, you are the Four Horsemen of the Acropolis! Don't get me started on Rapidboy and MikeDB as it will get too biblical!:rolleyes:

Jed, your work isn't too shoddy either mate you are well on the way to your own horse;). I am happy with the knife you sold me and I have shown it about, people are impressed.

I should start on leather again really, its been a while, I had a textile refitter in Deepcut show me how to do some leatherwork years back.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt

Jon

Totally agree. The kit and the tools are there to facilitate the crafts, although I also think plant ID and fire are core elements of bushcraft. I certainly don't do enough, but big thanks to all the inspiration guys who do :You_Rock_ .

ganstey

Settler
I'm just catching up on this thread as I've been away on a woodland crafts course (more of which later). But just to add my 2p into the hat, I've found this site and various threads on it hugely inspirational. In fact it was this site that encouraged me, and showed me how to make my first spoon. I am often stunned by the quality of workmanship shown on here.

However, as others have already said, Bushcraft means different things to different people. Sometimes essential tasks such as a fulltime job get in the way of the more enjoyable aspects of life. At the moment I'm bursting with ideas and inspiration, but I just don't have the time at the moment to do very much.

Graham

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE