Are bushcrafters a little strange ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Widgy grub

Tenderfoot
Jun 28, 2012
Lincolnshire
Do you get the opinion that people think we are a little strange,

I have emailed a few land owners to obviously ask permission to use their land, but do you know what, I have had not one reply !!!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I resent the idea that Bushcrafters are a little strange!
If "Normal" is what is reported in the daily press then I would like to think of Bushcrafters - like myself - are a LOT strange!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Maybe it's just you!;)

Sorry kidding, but yes it attracts the more "esoteric" type, just look at the forum.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Someone recently wrote in a thread that really one ought to first write asking if one might write to discuss asking for permission to use land, rather than just gripping by the throat straight away :)

It's a gentler, more courteous way to break the ice or to leave the door open to an approach later on.

Bushcrafters ? Strange ?.....speak for yourself ! :D

cheers,
Toddy

udamiano

On a new journey
I doubt it has anything to do with that. I would be more inclined to think its the method of your inquiry. You would do much better actually going and seeing the landowners rather than email. I would also have answers like insurance, and such already sorted, as that will be of major concern. And whatever you do don't go dressed in Camo.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Emails are easy to ignore... and remember that most folk who "own" land.... have admin to sort trivial things for them....who tend to ignore folk like us, through fear of not doing their job right.

We are a minority....... as such... we are different to the norm...... yet in reality.... modern life is a huge step from the accepted norms of the last however many thousand years... So i would say we are the remnants of what once was an accepted normality..... as such we are true to our heritage and the rest of the country ( and most of the rest of the world) is running too far too fast. They will catch up (or down) again :)

Last edited:

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
where ive been going, we went there around this time last year scouting for locations and met a bloke who was hiding behind a tree with a huge gun. he said we shouldnt camp there as its hunting season and showed us to another wood about half a mile away where we could. he had no issues with us being there and later turned up with a deer and offered us the liver and heart for our tea. sometimes you just met people and things work out. whenever ive gone to someone to ask permission they have always turned me down, whereas being 'caught in the act' has always worked out fine. im not saying you should go places without permission but sometimes when they can see your looking after your surroundings rather than just saying you will it helps

Widgy grub

Tenderfoot
Jun 28, 2012
Lincolnshire
Thanks all,
It just saddens me to skulk around a beautiful woodland , not truly enjoying it to the full for the fear of being discovered and reported?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yeah, and that's the wrong attitude if you really want to change any public access.
In England and Wales, private land is just that; someone owns it. If it were your land and someone took to using it, from what has also been said on here, that would cause the majority great offence.

Can't have it both ways.

Please read Ged's articles in the stickies I linked to. The arguements are valid and very real.

M

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I see the world this way Mary... its not possible for a species to own the land that created it.... the land always has and always will own everything born upon it. It came from the land.... it goes back to the land.... mans laws are just that... mans laws... as such are a crock of .... **** when it comes to natural law... a law to which i wholly subscribe :)

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
i have just read both articles and now wish i lived in scotland :)

i know they way i have done it in the past isnt the 'correct' way but i honestly didnt really consider it that bad at the time. the more i think about it from a land owners perspective to more i do realise permission has to be sought. i guess im lucky that i now have a few locations with permission to camp. though none have given permission for a permanent camp(very well built lean to) to be erected, this is something i intend to achieve over the winter

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
HillBill, in the country in which you live, all land that is not public is excluded from right to roam. That's the law, the actual law, not some ideal or Robin Hoodish interpretation of it.
The forum asks that we, a) don't discuss politics, and b)we do not encourage or promote illegal activity.

This conversational thread is on a very sticky wicket :sigh:

cheers,
M

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Yeah, and that's the wrong attitude if you really want to change any public access.
In England and Wales, private land is just that; someone owns it. If it were your land and someone took to using it, from what has also been said on here, that would cause the majority great offence.

M

Im afraid I've gotta disagree with almost all of that. :) Sorry.

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
Words of wisdom. I do like the way your mind works!
I see the world this way Mary... its not possible for a species to own the land that created it.... the land always has and always will own everything born upon it. It came from the land.... it goes back to the land.... mans laws are just that... mans laws... as such are a crock of .... **** when it comes to natural law... a law to which i wholly subscribe :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Whether it's right or wrong, the forum also has rules which we agree to to stop it getting into trouble, we've been asked very nicely to tone it down guys.:)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Gentlemen you may disagree all you like, but that's the reality of the laws of your country.

I don't live there, so I have no axe to grind on this, but I do have a responsibility to keep the forum clear on the legalities of the matter.
The Boss asks that we do not encourage, promote or recommend illegal activity.
That's it in a nutshell.

There is also the point that too many people have worked too hard to gain permissions to have that dissed by someone with no regard for them or the rights of the land owners.

This forum is the wrong place to spout political activism. Good clear, legal advice, however, is welcomed.

M

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
To quote Game of Thrones..:)D) "power lies where people believe it lies" there really is nothing more to it than that. I can understand what you're saying regarding legalities....but legalities are temporary things... constantly in flux.... dished out by folks who believe they have the power to dish out such things.... again..that really is a temporary thing....i would rather have my own principle and stand by it... than to let my principles be dictated by the greed of those whose principles are both self serving and enforced by the sword (as it were :))

No offence intended at all Mary.... i believe we have had this discussion before. :) My opinion is just that...my opinion....and one that will remain in effect for the rest of my natural life. Those same laws will not last as long as that i fear.... i'd rather be consistent... than right or wrong, depending on another persons opinion. :)
I'm not saying that folk should break the "law" only that the "law" isn't made for us, only for those with money.
I will say no more. :)

HillBill, in the country in which you live, all land that is not public is excluded from right to roam. That's the law, the actual law, not some ideal or Robin Hoodish interpretation of it.
The forum asks that we, a) don't discuss politics, and b)we do not encourage or promote illegal activity.

This conversational thread is on a very sticky wicket :sigh:

cheers,
M

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Emails are easy to ignore... and remember that most folk who "own" land.... have admin to sort trivial things for them....

Really? None of the folks I know have "admin" to handle anything for them. Including me. At least none of the landowners I know personally (most everybody I grew up with) I di know of some wealthy ones that do though, just never met any of them personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE