Woodstoves

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bearbait

I had an earlier ancestor of the Esse Ironheart stove in the kitchen of a longhouse: two hot plates and an an oven. One does need to save up one's pocket money for a while to purchase one, though. It pumped out the heat. As you can imagine, the dogs hated lying by it.

Also had a Jotul stove for the lounge. Another good bit of kit.

Reactions: TeeDee

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
I have a Charnwood Island 2 picked it up as an ex demonstrator, lovely and controllable the double doors mean you can have some decent logs in there. Clearview are also well made but seem to be a bit more fiddly to use, I am currently trying to work wether to fit a solid fuel aga or a Esse with an oven.

Reactions: British Red

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
I use a Coalbrookdale Severn as a boiler to run my central heating if that helps at all. It is the main source of heat along with a solid fuel Rayburn in the kitchen. Both run on wood.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
@British Red is your woodburner the sole heat source within the cottage? just curious as I am looking to find a replacement for old school night storage heaters. (sorry @TeeDee for the drift)

Louis
Hi mate,

We run an Esse Ironheart. We use it as our main heat source and our cooker at this time of year. We have an lpg boiler but use only for hot water and frost protection if we are away

Esse & Pheasants by British Red, on Flickr

Reactions: lou1661

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
6 years ago I bought a Prity stove which cost £280 brand new, shipped from Bulgaria. It's never going to compete with the likes of a Rayburn but for that price it's hard to make a like for like comparison. It will need some repairs around the 10 year mark by my estimate, which will involve welding on a steel patch or 2. I really can't complain.

80DF112E-441F-4308-8FE6-1425BAFFE200.jpeg

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
6 years ago I bought a Prity stove which cost £280 brand new, shipped from Bulgaria. It's never going to compete with the likes of a Rayburn but for that price it's hard to make a like for like comparison. It will need some repairs around the 10 year mark by my estimate, which will involve welding on a steel patch or 2. I really can't complain.

View attachment 84135
Looks like you are not the only one to be impressed by it!

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I'm in lurve with those esse stoves, but I've no possibility of my h/a letting me have one, and my pockets don't go that deep.:(

I'm off to find a sugar daddy. :)

Reactions: British Red

GreyCat

Nov 1, 2023
South Wales, UK
Sorry - no you are correct I didn't , but I did mean internally.

I grew up with a Rayburn - to be honest , I grew , it stayed as it was. But I do like that sort of thing. I feel the Europeans do it somewhat better by having tonnes of thermal mass around them and centralised.

The stove I'm after will be for the sitting room - and hopefully modern looking enough to fit the aesthetic. Now... that does make me sound very artsy doesn't it. :)

For UK sourced Stoves you would have to be looking at double or Triple that figure.

You can get Masonry stoves in UK, a place in Cornwall does them. (Cornish Masonry Stoves).

You're looking at a price of circa £7k to £8k though.

I know this as I have been pricing up options for secondary heating for a house refurb.......

GC

Potatohead

Jul 1, 2020
Surrey... near a tree :)
We inherited a Jotul XVIII with our bungalow
Heating duty only but damn! A full single burn with a 6 log top-down fire warms the whole place through.
And very effecient. Not much ash left behind.
I love it.
Was trying to figure out if I could convert my Aga to woodfired somehow.
Its just too expensive to run it on gas.
IMG_0899.jpeg

Reactions: slimshady

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE