Are bushcrafters a little strange ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I see the world this way Mary... its not possible for a species to own the land that created it.... the land always has and always will own everything born upon it. It came from the land.... it goes back to the land.... mans laws are just that... mans laws... as such are a crock of .... **** when it comes to natural law... a law to which i wholly subscribe :)

Even in nature, most animals (especially predators) are territorial. Man's idea of owning land is nothing more than a higher evolution of natures law of the fittest favoring the most able to defend his territory. What's unnatural about that?

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Face to face is always the best option for gaining permission, weather its for camping, shooting metal detecting or anything else, an email is easy to ignor and quite right too, the person reading it wont know what you are like

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Over here in the uk, most land is "owned" by the upper class, most farmers are tenant farmers who rent the farm and land from them. I've worked on estates before, who "own" huge areas of land, the land is a business... its used for a large part to make profit, from either, tenant farming, shooting, forestry (timber production) etc. They have admin. :)

Really? None of the folks I know have "admin" to handle anything for them. Including me. At least none of the landowners I know personally (most everybody I grew up with) I di know of some wealthy ones that do though, just never met any of them personally.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I see the world this way Mary... its not possible for a species to own the land that created it.... the land always has and always will own everything born upon it. It came from the land.... it goes back to the land.... mans laws are just that... mans laws... as such are a crock of .... **** when it comes to natural law... a law to which i wholly subscribe :)

Then think of land owners as custodians, we often have to spend a fair amount of time and money looking after land (no admin assistant here either). My little plot for example would still be a bare field if no one had planted and looked after the trees it has, now it's a lovely spot for bushcraft or whatever.

In relation to the original post, I'd ignore an email asking for permission but if someone got to know me and offered to help in the maintenance then they're stand a good chance of being allowed to camp.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Even in nature, most animals (especially predators) are territorial. Man's idea of owning land is nothing more than a higher evolution of natures law of the fittest favoring the most able to defend his territory. What's unnatural about that?

Makes sense to me.

We are a complex society so have 'evolved' 'laws' that allow us to negotiate access to resources, food, shelter, without having to try ripping each other's throats out.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm going to keep that quote :)

We are a complex society so have 'evolved' 'laws' that allow us to negotiate access to resources, food, shelter, without having to try ripping each other's throats out. mrcharly

M

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
from what I have found is the best way is to approch, introduce yourself, get to know the land owner, ask if you can camp for a night, some were he can keep an eye on you.. then the the relationship builds..

For example it took over a years work to get to talk to the owner of the land that the Suffolk Group use now.. and some long telephone conversations (1 hr+ some times), some emails to him with pictures of us and what we do.. that lead to a weekend for us he popped along to see what was happing that then lead to another weekend being booked.. then a few more weekends we are now 8 months down the road from the frist weekend, and by meeting with him after a weekend for a little chat, and some times arriving early and having a chat, also some of the guys from the group stoping to chat with his wife, and son have all helped...

As the relationship grows then what you can achive grows.. the last conversation has opened up the posiblity of being able to use most of his 1000 acres of wood land.. the frist trail of the extra woodland will be next year...

I must admit I was lucky to find such a landowner, but also I am lucky to be involved with a great bunch of guys that respect the woods and the landowner as well.

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield
None of the farmers i know have "admin". My dad doesn't, unless you count my mum?

I don't know about estates, but find a farmer be polite and ask if there is a corner you can camp on, they understand camping but probably not bushcraft!

If they are lugging stuff about when you see them(quite likely) ask if you can lend a hand and talk whist helping, it will go a long way. If they are moving stock ask if they would like you to stand somewhere in particular to help direct the stock.

Farmers are busy people, if they say "can you come back later" ask when would be good for them and do so, if you don't put the effort in why should they let you use their land?

As far as i know my dad has never said no without a good reason.

If you do get to "camp" leave no trace but do pop in to say thankyou. If the farmer comes over to check up on you offer them a cuppa, have a chat and go from there.

Cheers
Grebby

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
None of the farmers i know have "admin". My dad doesn't, unless you count my mum?

I don't know about estates, but find a farmer be polite and ask if there is a corner you can camp on, they understand camping but probably not bushcraft!

If they are lugging stuff about when you see them(quite likely) ask if you can lend a hand and talk whist helping, it will go a long way. If they are moving stock ask if they would like you to stand somewhere in particular to help direct the stock.

Farmers are busy people, if they say "can you come back later" ask when would be good for them and do so, if you don't put the effort in why should they let you use their land?

As far as i know my dad has never said no without a good reason.

If you do get to "camp" leave no trace but do pop in to say thankyou. If the farmer comes over to check up on you offer them a cuppa, have a chat and go from there.

Cheers
Grebby

Exactly what I ahve found... :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

Bill, thats a nice but extremely naive view, pretty much a load of bullocks in the real world. We have laws you may not like or announce you don't subscribe to but the same laws could end up with you in the nick and slopping out in the morning... they will apply to you. Use a bit of common sense.

Regarding getting permission to use land, forget emails and go knocking on doors. Someone local will more than likely know who owns the land or can look at your application for use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE