Arctic Rucksack/ Royal Marine H-Frame Bergen

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I hope so- I'll try (when I have time) to apply some modifications, such as a waist belt and cross straps across the back, but these mods will all be reversible. The rucksack is in almost mint condition- no holes, signs of abrasion, barely any scratches on the frame. Annoyingly though there is a number '8' painted in sand paint on top of the hood. Not sure if that could be removed with some chemical or something.

If I later decide I'm not going to use it (or the wife decides for me), I may offer it up for swaps on here rather than stick it on Ebay.

If you're thinking of the collector's value, you might want to think twice before trying to remove that #8. It might (or might not) have some value as well if it can be traced to a specific unit, battle, individual, etc.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...I would have thought the 'lean' is largely attributable to a lack of waist belt on the bergen- something hopefully that should be reletively easy to retrofit to the frame. Hopefully.

Possibly. Also remember that those photos are of actual Marines probably with a full sustaiment load (of military gear) in those rucks. The shear weight might well overburden the wearer with a modern ruck with a waistbelt as well.

kawasemi

May 27, 2009
Where the path takes me
Great pics...interesting info.

I remember that framed rucksack without waistbelt lean well. Came free of charge with every pack bought :rolleyes:

My old Cobmaster (long deceased) managed to create it perfectly in the 70's/80's

kawasemi

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Here you go- a few (fairly poor, sorry) photos:

2012-06-12_07-01-21_635.jpg

2012-06-12_07-01-04_852.jpg

2012-06-12_07-01-49_269.jpg

I'll try and get some better ones/close ups if there is any interest.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Looking good,though think getting the belt would help(i have a soft spot for old school kit) and why dont they make more kit out of butyl nylon that stuff is TOUGH.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
A belt for it was linked to by Twodogs- and I am tempted, just not sure if I could justify the expense. It would make it complete though (I think), and probably I would get the cash back if ever I sold it.

I agree on the Butyl Nylon- it is oustanding, and amazingly light. This whole bergen with the frame weighs infinitely less than my Lowe Saracen, and although I haven't actually weighed it, I could confidently predict it is far less than the issue PLCE bergen as well.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
The frame looks like the old external frames on the Karrimor Annapurna series of packs. I remember them from years back; they were pretty comfortable back then in 70s and early 80s.

It looks to be a real workhorse of a pack. I hope you'll use it - it's crying out to be trudged across wide open spaces! I'd be interested in some more pictures if you can manage them, purely to compare it with the Swedish LK70 I've finally finished tarting up with MOLLE straps and belt.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
The frame looks like the old external frames on the Karrimor Annapurna series of packs. I remember them from years back; they were pretty comfortable back then in 70s and early 80s.

It looks to be a real workhorse of a pack. I hope you'll use it - it's crying out to be trudged across wide open spaces! I'd be interested in some more pictures if you can manage them, purely to compare it with the Swedish LK70 I've finally finished tarting up with MOLLE straps and belt.

I've just had a look at this link showing the annapurna frame- it does look similar, but there are a couple of differences. The arctic bergen straps fit to the pack, not the frame, and I think the arctic bergen frame is a touch longer: http://maceachain.blogspot.co.uk/2009/04/classic-simplicity.html

I'll try to get more/better pictures!

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
That brings back memories, I still have two set of extension straps for my old one and they get used most time I go out so handy.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
It looks a bit like many of the civilian frames from the ough is how the 1970s (apart from the color obviosly) Especially the way the frame mounts into sleeves on the pack. A big difference I can see though is the straps mounting to the pack rather than the frame as you said. I cand definitely say, "I LIKE IT!!" You may want to (and rightly so) but as has been said, it screams to be used. Great find!

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Nice find.

As seen in the 1992 SASS catalogue:

Good find Nolightweight- that makes very interesting reading actually. I now know from the SASS catalogue that I need to aquire three padded straps for the back (I had presumed there must be something). From the photo of the SASS modded Canoe Bergen, I note that these look to be the standard issue back straps of old for the PRC351/SAS bergen/GS bergen frame. I don't suppose anyone has any of these kicking around looking for a swap?!

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Heh heh! There's a reason they don't use them anymore! Monstrously uncomfortable! Mind you, external frame still one of the better ways to carry big loads over distance.

Nice to see SLRs again! Wonder how many had the legendary 'matchstick full-auto field conversion'...? Gotta love 7.62. The reason they are pointing at themselves is because you would be thrashed within an inch of your life to have the tip of the barrel in the dirt! Switch round in the chopper - business end faces floor so you don't shoot rotors through. Unless safety off, round in chamber and unfortunate lean on trigger, unlikely the weapon will go off any situation. Now, the Sten, on the other hand....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE