Arctic Rucksack/ Royal Marine H-Frame Bergen

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
There not the same theres more padding on them

Twodogs, maybe something more like this?

backstrap.jpg

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I never used the waist belt on any bergan I had, although admittedly my GS one which sat above my 58 webbing swayed a bit, not as much as my old Cyclops did though.

If I took a tumble with bergan on, then I was "tied" in to the thing, unused waist belt meant a quick ditch if needed.

Oh, and more importantly, if the waist belt was fastened it meant you couldn't be lazy and rest the SLR's magazine and pistol grip on your ammo pouch...:D

Liam

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Ah, that's interesting to see the photos of that example adjusted for the lower height.... I wonder if anyone from here bought it?

The example that was sold had no back straps....

Jul 27, 2011
Germany
Hi,

Nice thread ! I'm a big fan of vintage british military gear, and I was lucky enough to get 2x RM rucksacks ! The company Silvermans (website) sells them on special request for about 120 pounds. I've used an ALICE waistbelt to replace an original one, whose rubber padding was to old to be used.

I read somewhere it's possible to carry this backpack strapped to the head using the waistbelt, as a sherpa. Has anyone an idea how it works ?

I would be glad as well to understand how the back of the rucksack was set up… I was thinking about replacing the metal buckles by fastex ones. Would it make sense ?

Rammstein

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Ah, that's interesting to see the photos of that example adjusted for the lower height.... I wonder if anyone from here bought it?

The example that was sold had no back straps....

Yeah I see they are trying to cover all the options for a Royal Marine Bergan. Not a SAS or Para one thats for sure.

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
Hi,

I read somewhere it's possible to carry this backpack strapped to the head using the waistbelt, as a sherpa. Has anyone an idea how it works ?

Rammstein

That would be a tumpline, lots of info in the net. That RM pack looks, not unsurprisingly, very much like old civilian Häglofs packs.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Hi,

Nice thread ! I'm a big fan of vintage british military gear, and I was lucky enough to get 2x RM rucksacks ! The company Silvermans (website) sells them on special request for about 120 pounds. I've used an ALICE waistbelt to replace an original one, whose rubber padding was to old to be used.

I would be glad as well to understand how the back of the rucksack was set up… I was thinking about replacing the metal buckles by fastex ones. Would it make sense ?

Rammstein

Hello- welcome to the forum. I didn't know Silvermans sold these bergens still! You could use fastex buckles to replace the metal ones, with a minor amount of stitching involved- personal choice, I'm keeping mine original though.

As for the back set up- i believe it was simple two (or possibly three) padded straps tensioned across the back of the frame. I have the original waffle rubber hip belt (and the runbber is in good non sticky condition), but I'm a little confused at the moment how to correctly fasten it to the frame! Any pictures of your bergens would be welcomed!

Jul 27, 2011
Germany
Hi,

Here are the pics of my RM backpacks (on the left the "new" one, on the right the issued one) :

img_0726.jpg

I have noticed 2 differences :
- colour of the frame,
- design of the waistbelt.

The shoulder straps are ALICE compatible, so it should be quite easy to replace damaged parts.

And now the modifications I made !

1. Secure the shoulder straps

I've used paracord and the available holes in the frame to keep the straps in place. Doesn't look nice but it works !

img_0728.jpg

2. Secure the pack

Same deal : I've used paracord and the available holes in the frame to keep the pack in place.

img_0727.jpg

3. Handle

I've used a webbing loop and a pair of buckles to make a handle.

img_0731.jpg

4. ALICE waistbelt

The rubber of the issued waistbelt was dried, so I replaced it by an ALICE one. I had to use some extra webbing to fix it on the frame.

SET UP

1. First attach the pads to the frame :

img_0732.jpg

2. Then attach the straps and after the pack OVER the straps :

img_0729.jpg

3. Attach the shoulder straps to the frame AND the pack :

img_0731.jpg

4. Fix the waistbelt to the frame :

img_0730.jpg

img_0733.jpg

... and the rucksack is ready to go !

My issued waistbelt is quite different from the other one, and I have no idea how it is attached to the frame !

img_0734.jpg

img_0735.jpg

Can someone tell me how it's supposed to be attached to the frame ? The plastic buckles don't seem to be very sturdy...

PS : sorry for my poor English, I'm a native frog eater ! :nana:

Rammstein

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Rammstein- those are the best photos of these bergens that I have come across! Thank you so much for taking the time to take them and upload them- they are very informative.

Very clear on the back system now- it seems two padded straps- so I need to get another one from somewhere for mine!

Interesting modifications- the Alice belt looks especially useful, and a considerable upgrade on the original. I too have been puzzled how to fit the original belt to the frame. As you say, the plastic buckles seem a bit small/weak for the job. The webbing loops on either end of the waist belt puzzle me too- I originally thought that thay may be something to do with it, but when on, they are far to far round the front of the body to fasten to the pack, and seem to be able to be used for nothing more than hooking your fingers through (although i'm sure that wasn't their original purpose- maybe something to do with fastening to a pulk to tow it?

I notice that you have your frame attached to the pack in its 'short back' configuration- i will try that on mine, as i think it may be a touch more comfortable...

I'm going to do the carrying handle modification as well! I like these ideas, as they are all reversible, so they don't damage the pack.

Now....to start looking for some more padded back straps- ebay here I come!

Jul 27, 2011
Germany
I think the webbing loops on the waistbelt are used for the fronthead sherpa carry, but I'm still looking for the right set up for this carry configuration...

Replacement parts for this rucksack are very very rare, so maybe you should consider using non original parts like padded belts.

54015LG.jpg

Or @ Silvermans maybe ???

Few other pics for the collection :

7478607.jpg

images

I will scan the article from RAIDS : it's about the Falklands war and the equipment of the british troops.

Rammstein

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I think the webbing loops on the waistbelt are used for the fronthead sherpa carry, but I'm still looking for the right set up for this carry configuration...

Replacement parts for this rucksack are very very rare, so maybe you should consider using non original parts like padded belts.
Rammstein

Thanks for those pictures! Good idea with the padded belt- that may work out a lot cheaper. To be honest, I think the sherpa carry is a bit of a red herring. Whilst it may technically be possible, I find it highly unlikely that the rucksack was specifically designed for this capability. A military rucksack is required by its users to provide hands free operation, running, climbing, skiiing etc. Not to mention wearing with a helmet- and carrying via a strap over the head would not really be up to it.

Jul 27, 2011
Germany
Well, I had a look in my archives and could find 3 copies of the magazine RAIDS talking about this backpack. Here are the pics !

img_0737.jpg

RAIDS n°54 - November 1990

img_0810.jpg

img_0811.jpg

Notice the set-up !

img_0812.jpg

RAIDS n°66 - November 1991

img_0736.jpg

RAIDS n°74 - July 1992

img_0738.jpg

img_0739.jpg

Rammstein

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Rammstein- some great pictures there- those scans show the bergen really well- in particular an elusive photo of the back system, with the hip belt in place. Still a little tricky to see how it is fastened on though. I can think of no real alternative than using those little plastic D rings, but from the photo it looks like there is a strap and buckle coming left and right out of the hip belt and joining onto the frame. Very odd!

Yes, the back straps are the same for the SAS bergen (and the PRC 351 man pack frame- which is the same frame as used in the SAS bergen). They are a little hard to get hold of actually- probably due to people with frames wanting more than the standard two in order to increase comfort, and natural wastage through wear and tear. Occaisionally similar (but thicker) back straps come up on ebay- possibly a later replacement part- as per a photo i put earlier in the thread.

Interestingly, i used to have a couple of those reversible olive/white waterproof jackets and matching trousers as sported by the marine in the bottom scan. The white side (which was a coating) eventually went all sticky and I had to throw them away.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE