Arctic Rucksack/ Royal Marine H-Frame Bergen

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Hello all- just after a bit of info about these actually. I picked one up in excellent condition at the weekend, dated early 1980s, and with an original frame (interestingly stamped 'Karrimor' and the military arrow). I think they must be fairly rare these days, and i certainly can't find anything out about them on the internet. I'll get some pictures tonight hopefully and post them.

Essentially it consists an external olive green H-shaped frame (i.e not the usual clansman radio frame used in the SAS/Para and GS bergens), and the bergen is olive butyl nylon with a zip pocket, large front pocket (with zip and buckle closure), two side pockets with press studs to fold flat (like on the SAS bergen), and a large main compartment with a snow sleeve at the top. Straps (the wide 'anti chafe' straps) are attached to the bergen not the frame. There is room for skis to be slid down behind the side pockets (fastened by a strap above and below the pocket), and the frame extends someway below the pack, presumably for stowage of a sleeping bag.

Most of the above is pure observation, but i would love to see some pictures of them in action, hear peoples experience of them and understand how the back was set up....

Cheers!

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I've tracked down at least one photo of them in use. Amused to see the classic 'no waistbelt lean' being deployed....

falklands010.jpg

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
It's aluminium- pretty light actually - with what looks to be an olive green anodised finish. The top of the frame uprights both fit into a little pocket either side on the back, and the base of the pack is kept snug to the frame with a strap and buckle either side.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Love the way there all pointing there weapon at themselves.

I did see a bergan with a H frame in my local surplus store whilst i was looking today, thing is it was in DPM so not sure if someone had tried to retro fit a frame to a newer pack.

By the looks of the way there all standing i would say things have advanced enough for even us to move on to more up todate gear.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Love the way there all pointing there weapon at themselves.

I did see a bergan with a H frame in my local surplus store whilst i was looking today, thing is it was in DPM so not sure if someone had tried to retro fit a frame to a newer pack.

By the looks of the way there all standing i would say things have advanced enough for even us to move on to more up todate gear.

There were some aftermarket DPM bergens produced in the last couple of years by the likes of Dragon Supplies that used the old clansman/sas 'A' frame- not seen one in DPM with an 'H' frame though.

I would have thought the 'lean' is largely attributable to a lack of waist belt on the bergen- something hopefully that should be reletively easy to retrofit to the frame. Hopefully.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Think these are worth a mint to collectors, nice find. Are you going to use it?

I hope so- I'll try (when I have time) to apply some modifications, such as a waist belt and cross straps across the back, but these mods will all be reversible. The rucksack is in almost mint condition- no holes, signs of abrasion, barely any scratches on the frame. Annoyingly though there is a number '8' painted in sand paint on top of the hood. Not sure if that could be removed with some chemical or something.

If I later decide I'm not going to use it (or the wife decides for me), I may offer it up for swaps on here rather than stick it on Ebay.

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Classic bit of RM kit , nice one and the arctic sleeping bag of the day rolled up on the frame in the cover/bag no goretex then ,,,
Notice the Swedish Army ski boots on the Marine eating the scran issued to some to replace the DMS boot of the day ,,

Twodogs

Last edited:

screwdriver

Forager
Nov 28, 2010
calne
ive had one of those down arctic bags with the pvc coated nylon bivi bag cover since i was young ,school mates old man brought it back from the falklands, though dont use it now.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
In the first pic the Lord Poncho put up the high leg boot's that replaced the D.M.S boot's ive got a pair of 84 dated that are still going strong,used on most of my trips out.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
In the first pic the Lord Poncho put up the high leg boot's that replaced the D.M.S boot's ive got a pair of 84 dated that are still going strong,used on most of my trips out.

With the eyelets nice and shiney brass now? I had a pair that went on for years too....the leather got so supple, when you took them off the ankles folded over under their own weight and touched the floor....

Basha72

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2006
Torbay
Yep they are hard to find these days for some reason, I'm guessing somewhere thee is a MOD store waiting to be opened that's got stacked shelves full of them ;-) one of the lads in cadets years ago had one not much room compared to the Airborne/SAS Bergen. I have two 1960-70 issue SAS a frame bergens and 1 butyl SAS/ Para as and when I come across one of the RM artic. Bergen if the price suites I'll be adding to my collection lol

Basha

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE