Apology for the confusion

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-1

Simon, in future it will be blatantly obvious as there will be a written slap on the wrist in a post following (it will be open and in view of all), if the thread then spirals out of control then it will be locked with a reason given, ie; this thread has spiralled out of control, has gone totally off topic and has become offensive or abusive.

Tony is relying upon people's common sense to self moderate and keep this forum a nice place to be, the mods in future will be looking at keeping threads open and on topic as long as they can. They will be trying not to delete posts unless they have to.

If the offending persons are totally out of line it will be in plain view and will remain that way for all to see. If that results in members being banned everyone will then know why, rather than what has happened in the past where we have shot ourselves in the foot by removing posts leaving a note as to why certain posts have been removed (that unfortunately others could not see) and making ourselves look like the bad guys.

This probably sounds a little harsher than it really will be, but that is about the best way I know of putting it. Speak soon Simon, all the best,

Leon:)

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
leon-1 said:
Simon, in future it will be blatantly obvious as there will be a written slap on the wrist in a post following (it will be open and in view of all), if the thread then spirals out of control then it will be locked with a reason given, ie; this thread has spiralled out of control, has gone totally off topic and has become offensive or abusive.

Tony is relying upon people's common sense to self moderate and keep this forum a nice place to be, the mods in future will be looking at keeping threads open and on topic as long as they can. They will be trying not to delete posts unless they have to.

If the offending persons are totally out of line it will be in plain view and will remain that way for all to see. If that results in members being banned everyone will then know why, rather than what has happened in the past where we have shot ourselves in the foot by removing posts leaving a note as to why certain posts have been removed (that unfortunately others could not see) and making ourselves look like the bad guys.

This probably sounds a little harsher than it really will be, but that is about the best way I know of putting it. Speak soon Simon, all the best,

Thanks Leon & Ed for the explanation. From what you have carefully outlined, the procedure seems quite clear now, and transparent. By giving a reason people can see in the relevant thread I am sure it will remove much of the previous confusions. Great move.

It would be good to catch up sometime Leon. Indeed, I am very probably starting a PhD at Exeter Uni in October (just need to find some affordable accommodation) and intend to contact you if that goes ahead ;) Cheers.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
leon-1 said:
Tony is relying upon people's common sense to self moderate and keep this forum a nice place to be,

There are two things that are infinate, The Universe and the depth of human stupidity. I'm not certain about The Universe.

Hawkeye The Noo

Forager
Aug 16, 2005
Dunoon, Argyll
I can think of two useful new forum categories: the first would be a sub forum of other chatter called The Sweat Lodge. This could be for the posts that tend to be about spirituality and religion. Yes it would need a moderator and I think Abbe would be ideal for the job as I have found him balanced in these discussions. The second sub forum could be called The Sin Bin. This would be a place to move all threads that are locked due to discipline moderation issues. That way they do not clutter up the other forums and are archived in an open and transparent manor. Yes it is a place where the locked posts would remain locked. For example: I spend time reading the tracking forum. If htere was a thread that got out of control, the place where the thread was could say, moved to the sin bin. If you are nosey and want to know, you go to the sin bin and read the thread. The final post on that thread would be a mod post explaining the reason for locking and moving to the sin bin. Like Pavlovs dogs, the warnings from the mods would make people listen up and they would learn a forum behaviour.

Just my thoughts at 01:48 before I go to sleep.

ps I hope Abbe is not upset at me recomending him as a mod without asking first. I just think he would be a great guy for the job.

cheers

Hawkeye the noo.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The Universe was dark as night,
God said, "Let Newton be!", and all was light.
But the Devil, howling, "Ho! Let Einstein be!!"
restored the status quo :D

Cheers,
Toddy

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Toddy said:
The Universe was dark as night,
God said, "Let Newton be!", and all was light.
But the Devil, howling, "Ho! Let Einstein be!!"
restored the status quo :D

Cheers,
Toddy
J. J. Thomson piped-in, "Let Schroedinger be and not
be!, after all it is only a probability... "

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE