Anyone heard of Kennewick man

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I remember reading in one of the broadsheets around 1994 that a man out walking his dog in Washington state found a skeleton in a river bank after a flash flood,at first it was thought to be the remains of a recent murder victim but turned out to be much much older and threw the scientific world into an absolute frenzy.Such was the furore the US government bulldozed the site. Anyone else remeber this.

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Nightfall said:
I've heard about him. He had a spear point driven into his pelves. Also skull features were more cacuasion than Native American.
Very interesting i thought,from what i remember there was supposed to be NO human beings in America at this time,no injuns never mind Europeans.I read another piece a few years ago where an expert in these things found masses of arrow/spearheads/point ect of a type only found in stone age Europe,according to the accepted theory there were no Europeans there at the time.All very interesting.

This is a subject I have been following for several years. The remains have been locked up by legal issues preventing scientific study and have only recently been cleared for release. I have a book authored by James Chatterly that I can recommend as a good source of information. The broader subject of how people first came to NA is currently undergoing significant study and recent finds are causing the original Bering Strait theory to be challenged. A picture is emerging that suggests the worlds coast lines looked much different during the ice age than they do today. Sea levels were hundreds of feet lower. This is facinating stuff.

Reactions: CLEM

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Jeff Wagner said:
This is a subject I have been following for several years. The remains have been locked up by legal issues preventing scientific study and have only recently been cleared for release. I have a book authored by James Chatterly that I can recommend as a good source of information. The broader subject of how people first came to NA is currently undergoing significant study and recent finds are causing the original Bering Strait theory to be challenged. A picture is emerging that suggests the worlds coast lines looked much different during the ice age than they do today. Sea levels were hundreds of feet lower. This is facinating stuff.
Indeed it is facinating stuff,the US government even went as far as bulldozing the site,why would they do this.The scientific world were in absolute uproar.I read that the coroner who first examined the remains dident hand over everything to the American government but held back one of the teeth from the skull.He said research had proved beyond resonable doubt that it was the remains of a European male.
As i mentioned earlier,i saw a tv documentary about an American expert who had found loads and loads of spear points of a type ONLY found in Europe,found them buried in the US,thousands of years old.

The original forensic statement released indicated the skull bore "caucasian features" - from that statement the press interpreted "European". Based on skull measurements and teeth characteristics the research to date has concluded that Kennewick man is most likely not related to exisiting NA Indians and of the worlds current population he is most like the Ainu of Japan.

The Solutrean-like points you mention were found in a few sites on the East coast and they were found below the established Clovis stata. They do closely resemble point types found in southern Europe.

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
boaty said:
A very thorough analysis of Kennewick man appears on the National Park Service website.

There's a statement disputing the claims that there was some sort of cover-up - to which you'll either reply "Yeah, of course they'd say that!", or "Ahh, overheated press reporting again!", depending on your personal politics!
I saw a documentary showing them bulldoze the riverbank where the remains were found,on the same prog the coroner and scientific experts going balistic about it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE