Anyone here familar with a "Matchcoat"? History and links.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Probably old news to most here, but I just discovered this use for a blanket.

I just tried it with my surplus Italian Wool blanket (92x62) that I bought for under $20.

It is amazingly comfortable.

Has anyone here tried it in the bush?

Results?

http://www.oldetoolshop.com/trekking/library/matchcoats.html

http://www.wildeweavery.com/matchcoats.htm

Editoral Note: The Matchcoat is very simple but effective outer garment that is nothing more than a blanket that is fastened around the body.
Some accounts simply describe what has come to be known as a matchcoat, rather than calling it by name. Of this type is the quote from the naturalist Peter Kalm, who traveled extensively through this country in the 1750's. In a listing of "Goods Sold to the Natives by the French," Kalm includes "Pieces of white cloth, or of a coarse uncut material. The Indians constantly wear such a cloth, wrapping it round their bodies. Sometimes they hang it over their shoulders; in warm weather they fasten the pieces round the middle; and in cold weather they put them over the head. Both their men and women wear these pieces of cloth, which have commonly several blue or red stripes on the edge" (Peter Kalm; Peter Kalm's Travels in North America; the English Version of 1770; Dover Publications, NY 1987; p. 519).

A similar description is from Pierre Pouchot: "The Indians fasten their blankets below with their belts, and make them pass over the head like a monk's hood, arranging them so well that they only expose their nose and hands" (Pierre Pouchot, Memoir upon the Late War in North America, Be-tween the French and English, 1755-60; W. Elliot Woodward, Roxbury, MA, 1866, Vol. II, p. 215).

Words often shift meanings with usage, locale, and time; the word matchcoat may just be a prime example. Watch-coats were worn by those of European extraction as noted below; a garment called a "machigode" or "machicote" worn by Indian women was the equivalent of a petticoat, as men-tioned in the 17th and 18th centuries. Pouchot writes of the "machicote" in his memoirs, stating "The [Indian] men sleep entirely naked; the women wear only the machicote, for the sake of decency . . . .The women wear an under petticoat called machicote, made of an ell of blue or red cloth . . . .The lower edge is ornamented with several strips of yellow, blue and red ribbon or Eglish edge lace. This arrangement resembles a courrier's frock. It is fastened around the waist by a strap . . .The men instead of a machicote, wear a breech-cloth" (Pouchot; Vol. I; p.187-193).

A French soldier known only as J.C.B. and the author of Travels in New France (1751-1761), also refers to this garment: "This skirt, called a 'machicote," reaches only to the knees . . ." (Qtd. O'Neill II, p. 29). though it appears that the word "machicote" may be the genesis of "matchcoat," it is quite possible the words were understood at the time to be quite different, since the former is so obviously a woman's garment in these accounts. A contemporary note from Lieut. Henry Timberlake's 1756-1765 memoirs describing the costume of the men is quoted in Their Bearing is Noble and Proud: " . . .a large mantle or match-coat thrown over all completes their dress at home . . .(Qtd. O'Neill II, p. 35). And later, ". . .two yards and three-quarters make a matchcoat and leggon. . ." (Qtd. O'Neill II, p. 36). The Rev. David Jones made a similar observation in 1772-73: "The men wear shirts, match-coats, breech-clouts, leggings and mockesons, called by them mockeetha" (Qtd. O'Neill II, p. 42).

They must have been quite common, as Col. Henry Bouquet included in his 1754 "list of Indian goods," "518 blankets, 60 English Match Coats, 80 White French ditto very coarse, 120 Brown french ditto very coarse." David Zeisberger described the matchcoat in 1779 in Ohio: "If an Indian has a Matchcoat, That is a blanket of the smaller sort, a shirt and brich clout, and a pair of leggins, he thinks himself well dressed. In place of a blanket those who are in comfortable circumstances . . .wear a strowd, i. e., two yards of blue, red or black cloth which they throw lightly over themselves and arrange much as they would a Match-coat." (Qtd. O'Neill II, p. 52). Nicolas Cresswell also noted the use of this versatile garment in his Journal: ". . . a matchcoat serves them for a bed a night" (Cresswell, The Journal of Nicolas Cresswell 1774-1777; The Dial Press, NY 1924, p. 121).

It is interesting to note how very similar to the Scottish mantle or arisaid the matchcoat arrangement is, with similarities to the machigode as well. It may be that although English didn't habitually wear a blanket or length of cloth in such a fashion it was certainly not unknown to those of Celtic extraction. In the book Tartan; The Highland Habit by Hugh Cheape (National Museums of Scotland; Edinburgh; 1991) we see a number of examples, including an 18th century man in shirt, trews (trousers) and cloak (from Samuel Rush Meyrick's The Costume of the Original Inhabitants of the British Islands, London 1815), p. 10; a belted plaid worn much like a matchcoat from the National Museums of Scotland, p. 15. On page 16, a reclining Sir Duncan Campbell "wears 'a loose cloak of several ells', fastened with a brooch at the neck and belted at the waist" from the Scottish National Portrait Gallery that is indistinguishable from our current understanding of a matchcoat. In addition we find a comely barefoot lass on p. 34 wearing an arisaid or plaid in similar fashion, from the National Museums of Scotland collection.. (The plaid or "plaide" was properly a garment, not the pattern, which was referred to as a sett or tartan.) A very similar garment is shown on a woman in Five Centuries of American Costume, by R. Turner Wilcox, Chas. Scribner's Sons, NY 1963.

George Washington wrote of traveling fast in December of 1753: "I took my necessary Papers; pulled off my Cloaths; and tied myself up in a Match Coat. [Some editions say "watch-coat"--Ed.] Then with Gun in Hand and Pack at my Back, in which were my Papers and Provisions, I set out with Mr. Gist, fitted in the same Manner, on Wednesday the 26th." (George Washington, Diary; Riverside Press, Cambridge, MA 1925, p. 63.) A footnote on this page references the matchcoat: "So called because made of skins that were matched in putting them together. There was a coarse woollen cloth known as 'match-cloth,' which was used by the English in imitation of the Indian skin coat. It is, of course, impossible to say whether Washington's coat was of skins or cloth" (Washington p. 63).

Elias Pym Fordham's 1818 description of his style of wearing his blanket may be one of the best description we have of the matchcoat as we understand it today: "...over my great coat* I wore a blanket, pinned under the chin in the Indian fashion, and confined to the waist by a leather belt; to which was suspended a large hunting or scalping knife. Fifteen years ago, this was a common dress in Kentucky, as it is now on the frontiers of Indiana and in the Illinois Territory" (Elias Pym Fordham; Fordham's Personal Narrative, 1817-1818; Heritage Books, Inc., Bowie, Maryland, 1989, p.158). A similar method is demonstrated by Mike Alton in American Pioneer Video's "Pioneering; The Longhunter Series," Vol. 3, starring Mark Baker.

Another mention that may refer to a matchcoat-like arrangement of a blanket is this from Bradbury: "I wrapped a blanket round me, tied a black handkerchief on my head, and fastened on my belt, in which I stuck my tomahawk, and then walked into the village" (John Bradbury; Travels in the Interior of America in the Years 1809, 1810, and 1811, U. of Nebraska Press, 1987, p. 63). In Ste. Genevieve of 1808, Schultz noted a different use of a blanket by whites: "The majority of French in this place are almost as easily supplied as the native Indians: neither of them make any use of a hat or shoes; a pair of mockasons and a blanket seems equally common to both, except that the former will cut his into the shape of a coat [probably the capote or capeau], whereas the latter always prefers his loose" Christian Schultz; Travels on an Inland Voyage . . . Performed in the Years 1807 and 1808; Gregg Press reprint, 1968; Vol. II, p. 56).

In Alice Morse Earle's Costume of Colonial Times, she defines the matchcoat as "The definition given two centuries ago by Governor Beverley of Virginia was this: 'The proper Indian matchcoat is made of skins dressed with the fur or sewed together. The Duffield matchcoat is bought of the English. The name matchcloth was given to a coarse woollen cloth used for these coats, but duffels were chiefly employed in their manufacture. The derivation of the word seems uncertain. In Baragoa's Chippewa Dictionary the word matchigode is given for petticoat," a similar usage to those noted above (Earle, Empire State Book Co., NY 1924, p. 159.)

Duffel, also called Duffield, Shag, and Trucking-cloth, was commonly dyed red or blue to please the Indians of Virginia and New England, according to Robert Plot's 1677 report to the Witney, the town where duffels were woven. According to Plot, "their [the Indians] manner [of wearing them] being to tear them into Gowns of about two Yards long, thrusting their Arms through two Holes made for that Purpose, and so wrapping the rest about them as we our Loosecoats. Daniel Defoe wrote that "Witney 'Duffield Stuffs' were not only worn by the North American Indians but were "much worn even here in winter" (from Textiles in America 1650-1870; Florence M. Montgomery, W. W. Norton & Co, NY, 1984; p. 228).

From the Journal of the Middle Waters Frontier, Vol 3, #3, Summer 1998 Clotheslines- Native Style Reader Rick Stickle sends this from The Journal of Nicholas Cresswell, 1774-1777, Dial Press, Norwood MA., 1924: "Friday, September 1st 1775. Saw an Indian Dance in which I bore a part. Painted by my Squaw in the most elegant manner. Divested of all my cloths, except my Calico shirt, breechclout, leggings, and Mockesons.... The men have strings of deer's hoofs tied round their ankles and knees, and gourds with shot or pebblestones in them in their hands which they continually rattle. The women have Morris bells or thimbles with holes in the bottom and strung upon a leather thong tied round their ankles, knees, and waists. The jingling of these Bells and Thimbles, the rattling of the Deer's hoofs and gourds, beating of the drum and kettle, with the horrid yells of the Indians, render it the most unharmonious concert, that human idea can possibly conceive. (P. 120) Tuesday September 26th 1775. [Ottawa] Their persons are tall and remarkably straight, of a copper colour, with long black hair, regular features and fine black eyes. The dress of the men is short, white linen or calico shirts which come a little below their hips without buttons at the neck or wrist and in general ruffled and a great number of silver brooches stuck in it. Silver plates about three inches broad round the wrists of their arms, silver wheels in their ears, which are stretched long enough for the tip of the ear to touch the shoulder, silver rings in their noses, Breechclout and mockeysons with a matchcoat that serves them for a bed at night. They cut off their hair except a lock on the crown of the head and go bareheaded, pluck out their beards. The women wear the same sort of shirts as the men and a sort of short petticoat that comes no lower than the knee, leggings and mockeysons, the same as the men. Wear their hair long, curled down the back in silver plates, if they can afford it, if not tied in a club with red gartering. No rings in the nose but plenty in the ears. Both men and women paint with Vermillion and other colours mixed with Bear's Oil and adorn themselves with any tawdry thing they think pretty. (P. 109) From the Journal of the Middle Waters Frontier, Vol 3, #4 Clotheslines-

This comparison was compiled from the Pennsylvania Gazette, on the usages of the terms match coat and watch coat and kindly gave the Journal permission to publish it.

He writes: "I, too, have been confused by the match/watch terms. I may be getting it surrounded. A search of the entire PA Gazette showed few references to either, but both are there, and used for what seem obviously different garments. I'm including all references to both. The "match coat" invariably refers to Indians or blankets in some way. I believe this is the style used by re-enactors, which is simply the draped blanket, Indian fashion, cut only to proper length and wrapped around the body and over the shoulder or shoulders.

January 21, 1778 The Pennsylvania Packet ".....a tow cloth shirt, a white ditto, white plush breeches, speckled stockings, old shoes, and a match coat blanket."

October 6, 1768 The Pennsylvania Gazette "...it is probable he will change his Clothes, and get an Indian Match coat."

October 6, 1768 The Pennsylvania Gazette "They have likewise taken with them a pretty good feather bed, with Russia drilling tick, and three or four pretty good match coat blankets;..."

July 2, 1752 The Pennsylvania Gazette"...name Jehu, looks much like an Indian, and will endeavour to pass for such, when it suits him, having a striped Indian match coat with him, which supposed he will make use of for that purpose:"

March 2, 1758 The Pennsylvania Gazette "....and on his Return, dug up an Indian which they had buried, took away his Match coat, and scalped him with a broken Stone."

August 30, 1753 The Pennsylvania Gazette "The further Conference between his Excellency JAMES GLEN, Esq; Governor of South Carolina, and Malatchi and other Headmen of the Creek Indians, held the 31st of May, promised in our last.

The "watch coat", on the other hand, is obviously a much more civilized garment, tailored, even, with capes and buttons, etc.

April 18, 1745 The Pennsylvania Gazette "...had on a brown Coat, a blue Watch coat, Leather Breeches,..."

August 30, 1739 The Pennsylvania Gazette "...and stole from thence three Pieces of Portuguese Gold, and one small piece of Spanish Silver, a red Watch Coat not much wore, and is supposed to be now worn by the abovesaid Convict."

April 15, 1756 The Pennsylvania Gazette "Had on when he went away, A red duffel watchcoat, with brass buttons, and an old grey broad cloth coat,..."

May 9, 1751 The Pennsylvania Gazette"Had on when he went away, a red coloured watch coat, without a cape, a brown coloured leather jacket..."

From the January 3, 1760, edition of The Pennsylvania Gazette "The 17th, we set the town on fire, about 12 o, which continued burning all that day. "The same Day we went out a fascining, and to make oars, with a small party to cover us; 5 were killed, of which 4 were scalped, and we were obliged to quit the wood directly; the Indians came up very near, and killed and scalped one man close by us; the grenadiers of the 45th regiment fired upon them, and killed one, but the Indians carried him off; we had five killed, and three wounded; but our people returning upon them, made them fly to fast, that they were obliged to leave their match coats, with several other things, behind them, but could not get one of them prisoners. A deserter came to us, from whom we got some account of their forces, which, however imperfect, gave us some encouragement.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
I've used one for years. Very comfortable once you get used to wearing it. And very versatile.

If your blanket is too long, just fold over the top part before you drape it over your shoulders. This then gives you an extra ... cape ... across your shoulders. And then you don't have to cut your blanket.

And at night, you have an extra blanket to add to your bedroll.

But do try to find a good thick tight-weave blanket. The tighter the weave, the better it works to block the wind and shed rain. Too many wool blankets are way too open/fluffy of a weave. And you can also make it from wool clothe/fabric. This also allows you to match the matchcoat to the type of weather you are expecting - thicker/heavier for winter, thinner/lighter for spring/fall, and light for those damp/cool summer evenings.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE