Any bikers here???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robbi

Banned
Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
forget flips mate, they can NEVER be as strong as a full face helmet and the last thing you need is that flipping up when your bonce hits the road / car / wall etc etc.....

i've seen one that had snapped off, not good or pretty !

D

Deleted member 7976

How do you guys deal with the sun?

First of all keep your visor clean and in good condition, then there are a number of options.

I used to use a black tinted visor in my last lid which really aided visibility in bright sunlight. Just make sure you have your clear one on you so you can swap them when appropriate. A few accesory companies such as Oxford make holders you wear like a belt beneath your jacket to hold spare visors. Technically black visors are illegal, but you have to use a bit of common sense as to what gives the best visibility and is the lesser accident risk. I've never been stopped. If you ride in North Wales though it may be an issue as the police there would stop you and make you ride blinded rather than wear a tinted visor.

Now I use a Schubeth S1 which has an internal sun visor and more and more lids these days have them and this is probably the best option.

You also want some sort of anti fog double glazing fitted which usually means a pinlock system or Fog City. Fog City did (I say did as I'm not sure at the moment if it's been discontinued) a Hyper-optiks version which was light reactive and went from clear to full tint in 4 secs. This is also legal and perfectly safe at night too.

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
Regarding the flip front helmets there is a debate going on within the industry at the moment as to whether an open face might actually be safer. A strong chinpiece can simply deflect or transmit impact force to the base of the skull, where it fractures the joint with the spine. The alternative of suffering major injury to the face is certainly not pretty, but not so likely to be fatal.

There is talk of a new design which uses a soft chinpiece, but is rather more difficult for the marketing chaps to promote.

I fancy going with a Davida and Scott goggles next time round to replace my Shoei.

Richard

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Regarding the flip front helmets there is a debate going on within the industry at the moment as to whether an open face might actually be safer.

I think the debate is a bit like how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. If you're in a situation where the debate is relevant then (a) you're already in very serious trouble and (b) the outcome is almost certainly going to depend largely on luck. I don't think I'd choose or not choose a flip on those arguments, but more on convenience, comfort and, as a tinnitus sufferer for the last 15 years or so, most importantly on the noise levels.

Did anybody mention ear plugs? They are an absolute MUST for high speed riding.

I fancy going with a Davida and Scott goggles next time round to replace my Shoei.

Let me know how it feels the next time a bumble bee hits the back of your throat at 100mph! When as a student I couldn't afford a new helmet, I got my girlfriend to make me a leather face mask because I had so many large insects meet their end around my mouth. Fabrics are no good, the bits and juices just go straight through. :yuck:

Biker

Let me know how it feels the next time a bumble bee hits the back of your throat at 100mph! When as a student I couldn't afford a new helmet, I got my girlfriend to make me a leather face mask because I had so many large insects meet their end around my mouth. Fabrics are no good, the bits and juices just go straight through. :yuck:

Ear plugs. I was late finding the virtues of these wonderful appliances. I never ride the bike without them now, unless it's a really short journey of course.

About insects. When I first started riding bikes I had an open faced lid but getting hit in the face with rain and bugs soon got boring so I bought a Barufaldi speedway mask and goggles. I did look the biz I must admit.
On the way into work one day I felt something brush against my chin, and thinking some of the bum fluff I had growing there needed flanneling off I ignored it, then the wasp trapped in the mask stung me. Must have had a knitting needle for a stinger cos' it went into my chin and out the top of my head.

I was cornering at the time too. Don't know how I kept control of the bike but I lived to tell the tale. Just.

I have 2 full face lids and one posy open faced lid made by Roof which I wear with a leather mask much like Ged described.

Phaserrifle - Good luck for the CBT test tomorrow mate. We'll have our fingers crossed for ya.

Snarf

Nomad
Mar 30, 2009
Birmingham
It went well, but not quite well enough. I've got the last few bits to learn, and the road ride.
luckily, the instructor had tommorow free, so it should be done by the weekend.

Dont worry bout it mate, took me day and a half to do my CBT and i'd never ridden a bike before lol.
Just enjoy it, go with the flow. ;)

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
I think the debate is a bit like how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. If you're in a situation where the debate is relevant then (a) you're already in very serious trouble and (b) the outcome is almost certainly going to depend largely on luck. I don't think I'd choose or not choose a flip on those arguments, but more on convenience, comfort and, as a tinnitus sufferer for the last 15 years or so, most importantly on the noise levels.

Not sure I would agree about the nature of the debate. Its when things have gone seriously wrong that things like that really matter.

I remember wearing an old open face as a student in the 1970s when starting out on bikes, never opened my mouth at 100 mph though, I would have had difficulty closing it again ! Davida do sell rather nifty leather face shields.

Couldn't agree more about ear plugs though, especially on a ride of any distance. I find I go faster with the earplugs in as I can't hear the engine complaining.

Regards,

Richard

Biker

I find I go faster with the earplugs in as I can't hear the engine complaining.

:lmao: Too right! My bike sounds amazing with ear plugs in, almost like those go faster tuned exhaust systems that make a chainsaw sound like a Harley with a sore throat.

Without my earplugs in my bike sounds like a tin bucket full of nails being dropped down a metal firescape. >sigh<

Really must do those tappets one day LOL!

Good luck on the CBT tomorrow Phaserrifle, as has been said, relaxed concentration which is just how you'll be riding a bike from now on.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
I'm having a little problem down shifting from second to first when at a stop, the lever moves but it just goes down and doesn't click to change into first. The clutch is all the way in and sometimes I go back up to third and then down again and it works but sometimes it just takes a few pushes before it goes in. It was a problem today as I was at a junction and there was a mardy white-van-man behind me!

Does it seem like I could be doing something wrong? If not it's due for it's first service in another 100km so I'll mention it then.

Also, what are your thoughts on posture when riding? I tend to ride hunched over but my posture when standing is bad enough, if I try to straighten my back out though I act as a wind break! I tried sitting further back and leaning over but it made me look a bit silly!

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I find a little lift of the clutch works when in neutral, have you checked the clutch cable for correct adjustment, how is when you start off after starting the engine does it only happen when trying to shift down when comming to a stop?. as for the white van man, ignore the pratt, if i'm having an issue i'll sort it out how ever I see fit, if that means it take a little bit comming out of a junction as long as it safe who cares.

Robbi

Banned
Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
classic problem mate,.....click down the gears as you are slowing down untill you can go no further ( with the clutch in ) ( 1st ) then just lift your foot ( with your toe under the gear lever ) slightly and you'll get neutral........happy biking matey !!

Last edited:

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I'm having a little problem down shifting from second to first when at a stop, the lever moves but it just goes down and doesn't click to change into first. The clutch is all the way in and sometimes I go back up to third and then down again and it works but sometimes it just takes a few pushes before it goes in. It was a problem today as I was at a junction and there was a mardy white-van-man behind me!

Does it seem like I could be doing something wrong? If not it's due for it's first service in another 100km so I'll mention it then.

Also, what are your thoughts on posture when riding? I tend to ride hunched over but my posture when standing is bad enough, if I try to straighten my back out though I act as a wind break! I tried sitting further back and leaning over but it made me look a bit silly!

Try changing down a gear whilst its still moving, I'm going for it either being the clutch needing a bit of adjustment if its got a clutch cable or if its a hydraulic clutch they are self adjusting so it won't be that.

Another thing that's more on high mileage bikes is that the fingers of the clutch basket get grooves worn in them so the clutch plates don't separate as well as they should, if the clutch drags its harder to change gear whilst stationary.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
classic problem mate,.....click down the gears as you are slowing down untill you can go no further ( with the clutch in ) ( 1st ) then just lift your foot ( with your toe under the gear lever ) slightly and you'll get neutral........happy biking matey !!

I think you misunderstand me, when downshifting from second to either first or neutral it sometimes doesn't change even though the gear-lever is moving.

Try changing down a gear whilst its still moving, I'm going for it either being the clutch needing a bit of adjustment if its got a clutch cable or if its a hydraulic clutch they are self adjusting so it won't be that.

Another thing that's more on high mileage bikes is that the fingers of the clutch basket get grooves worn in them so the clutch plates don't separate as well as they should, if the clutch drags its harder to change gear whilst stationary.

I'll give that a go when I go out later today but I'm pretty sure it's happened while moving as well.

I'm booking it in for a service later this week so I'll let the guy know and see if it just needs adjusting.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK

Hardly "Classic", on the bikes I used to ride that sequence would put the bike in third or fourth gear - the Classic Brits had gearboxes where you pushed your foot down to go UP a gear (made for better acceleration!)

Nothing wrong with foot clutches, magneto advance/retard and suicide brakes either:yikes:

Ogri the trog

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.

This sounds a little like what's called "clutch drag", which means that when you squeeze the clutch lever all the way back to the handlebars the clutch doesn't disengage completely and there's still a little more force than there should be trying to turn output shaft of the gearbox (and hence the back wheel). That means that there are larger forces pressing the gears in the box together than there should be and that makes sliding the gears along their shafts and meshing/unmeshing them more difficult than it should be. There are several other possible explanations, so I would test the change with the engine stopped. If you have the same or a very similar problem when the engine is not running then it isn't clutch drag and it would start to sound like a selector mechanism issue. If the bike isn't due it's first service until later this week then it obviously hasn't done a lot of miles. Things will bed in quite a lot during the first few hundred to few thousand miles, and you can expect a few adjustments will be needed on the first service. Bikes often don't have the same oil for the first few hundred miles as they do for the rest of their lives, that's about getting a good bedding-in process in the running in period. Unfortunately the oil used in the first few hundred miles can make the clutch and gearbox actions a little tight. The issue might well go away after the service but do make sure to mention it. A good dealer will routinely note on the service invoice anything that's been brought to their attention, so don't be embarrassed to make sure they do that. If it comes to an argument about a warranty claim later on you'll have written evidence of the issue. Don't let them fob you off with "oh they're all like that" because (a) some dealers are a bit prone to trying on that kind of thing, especially if they think they're dealing with an inexperienced (and/or female!) customer, and (b) it doesn't matter whether they're all like that or not, what you describe is not acceptable.

As for you doing something wrong, well you have very little experience of the machine as yet and you can expect to find lots of little tricks that help smooth the riding experience for that particular example of that particular model. Every bike is different, sometimes the differences between different examples of the same model are startling. It is common, though, to have a little more difficulty getting in and out of gears when a bike is stationary with the engine running than when it's moving. You always have to overcome some friction in the gearbox to change gear, and static friction is greater than dynamic friction. It can help if you roll the bike forwards and/or backwards a few inches while holding the clutch lever fully in and pressing gently on the gear lever. You shouldn't need to apply a very large force to the gear lever, you'd just break something.

Planning comes into so many things while riding. If you're riding a bike which has developed a relatively minor fault which won't necessarily terminate the journey it might make the ride anywhere from a little tricky to extremely difficult. Planning can make the difference between almost impossible and a bit awkward. Last year when the hydraulic clutch on my Hayabusa failed in the south of France, I drove it to England without using the clutch at all. Petrol stops and getting on the ferry were a bit awkward. :) This is more likely to happen to older machines which are less well maintained, but it can happen to any machine at any time so either you need the skills to cope or you need roadside assistance and perhaps a bigger limit on your credit card. For example if you think there might be an issue getting into first while stationary at a junction, you may have several options: get into first while approaching the junction instead; or if it's safe and legal try to plan the approach to the junction so that you won't have to stop (I normally do that anyway, it saves fuel and makes the ride smoother and quicker) -- this may mean approaching the junction a little slower than you otherwise would, so that you can watch the situation unfold and maybe wait for that gap in the traffic; or experiment with pulling away in second if you can find a safe place to do it; or even choose a different route.

Whatever you do, don't forget that all this extra thinking is likely to distract you from the most important thing of all, which is safe riding. You need to develop your skills until locomotion on the bike is as familiar as locomotion by walking. You don't think about putting one foot in front of the other any more, and eventually you won't need to think about the mechanics of using the bike's controls. The bike will become an extension of your body and you'll start to think about things like positioning, information, hazards and how far it is to the next sandwich. That's called advanced riding.

Well don't worry about looking silly as long as you aren't being silly! It can make the ride more tiring if you're working against the wind blast all the time, and a tired rider will tend to be more dangerous than one who is fresh, so you always need to keep an eye on yourself. If I can I try to balance my body against the wind, a bit like windsurfing. That way I'm neither lying on the tank nor clinging on for grim death, and I can use the controls with much more delicacy. Sometimes it isn't possible and you just have to cling on or duck down, but try to make that the exception rather than the rule. For most people it's important to change position frequently to avoid stiffness and other symptoms of the fact that the body really wasn't designed for this sort of activity. You'll probably find after a while that your muscles become conditioned to the sorts of stresses that you're putting on them while riding. I used to think that a hundred miles was a long journey. Afterwards, I'd be very tired. Nowadays for me that's a nice little jaunt, and I can easily do a journey of five or six hundred miles in a day and it will be very enjoyable. It's as much about mental fatigue as it is about the physical. When most of the mechanics of your riding is done by your subconscious it's much less tiring than when you're new to it and everything demands so much more thought. That's one of the reasons you need to work up to riding the more powerful machines. You're training yourself all the time.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Thanks a lot for that post Ged, must've taken you ages to type out :)

I will be sure to mention it to the guy when I take it in, and I'm sure he'll want to make me a happy customer because I'm his first!

Robbi

Banned
Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Ogri ( and with a name like that you should know better ! ) give me the year that the Z900's , suzi GT750 kettles and things like the Jota's came out and tell me they are not "classsic".....

must be showing your age mate, you probably think "K" reg is new !...LOL :)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE