Any bikers here???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
- ride in hiking boots; you'll get used to changing gears in them after 10-15 mins. Remember to tidy the laces or they can get wrapped around the brake pedal or gear shift and you won't know until you try to put your foot down at the lights!

Please for the love of life itself don't do this. I'm a seasoned biker doing over 30,000 miles a year on a bike. Got knocked off on the M25 about 7 years ago and my ankle was smashed to bits. It was only held in place because I was wearing good motorcycle boots, made it easier for the surgeons to pin it back together. But I'm still in pain when hiking. I wouldn't like to think what would have happened if I wasn't wearing them. And the twist, I was less than 10 miles from home.

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
Gotta say I only ride in my Sidi's but it is annoying if you want to go walking to the point where I havent been on my bike yet. I would carry my walking boots on my back but Im wondering what would be the solution, where could I put my boots so I wouldnt get them nicked (on the off chance some scrote is in the middle of no-where)

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Just wonderd... anyone going to the BMF do's?
If you do look out for the RoadRiders club stand. Pop on and say hello if you want a free cuppa (bring a drinking vessel)

BMF stands for the British Motorcyclist Federation.
It may be they're last show at Peterborough, the September one is at Lincoln Showground
Have a look here to see who's going to be entertaining us for free

http://www.bmf.co.uk/Events/pages/bm...content_id=733:D

Been for best part of 15 years now. A massive carboot with bikes thrown in and music, stunts, etc. and of course loads & loads of beer- obviously sharps will be kept away.
The others will probably say you mean Big Kev
You won't mistake me. All welcome :welcome1:
May even have a few camp over tickets going cheap:dunno:

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Planning to ride down to Gibraltar and back ... roughly follow the coast roads down through France, Spain and Portugal.

Any tips from anyone?

You'll have a great time, I'm sure. I spend a lot of time on the continent on bikes, and as long as you're prepared it's great fun. It gets better as you get more used to it. If I were going for the first time I'd probably prefer to go in a group, but there are swings and roundabouts to that. I don't really give it a second thought, and just jump on the bike and go on my own.

Make sure you stay legal, especially in Spain. The Spanish love to throw the book at you and if you get stopped for speeding and they've had a slow day they'll go over your bike and your documentation with a fine tooth comb, then hit you for any and every infringement they can find. You'll need the equipment that the various advisory bodies mention such as first aid kit, spare bulbs; you'll need back protection; you'll need good maps, and as long as you don't let it distract you GPS could definitely be an asset although I don't use it. The continentals rely a lot more than we do on navigating from town to town, which is a bit awkward until you get used to it. They very rarely if ever tell you directions like "north" and they don't rely so much on road numbers as the English do -- partly because every main road has so many different numbers that you don't have time to pick the right one off the sign before you've passed it. The colour coding of signs is a bit different from what you're used to in England and the arrows for directions on the signs are, well, variable. By which I mean "straight on" can have an arrow pointing up, down, or to either side depending on where they put it and how they felt on the day. The Spanish drive more, er, enthusiastically than we do in England, and the Portuguese still more so. Try not to get involved. I'd recommend high-vis kit. One of my helmets has a drop-down sun visor inside the main clear visor, it's great for sunny weather when you might for example go into a tunnel. You'll need a cloth or sponge to clean the bugs off your visor/windscreen/goggles. Carry water with you, there are some long stretches of open road with nothing for miles. Keep an eye on the fuel for the same reason. Obviously you could be using a lot of the tread from your tyres so they need to be good before you set out, but I won't bore you with all the other domestic stuff.

Biker is right, it's SOOOO easy to go into auto-pilot. I think I'm most at risk when there's a break in the routine. I have a sheet of paper that says "DRIVE ON THE RIGHT" written in fat felt-tipped pen that I can slip into my tank bag map pocket, for when I stop at a filling station and forget where I am on the way out. I've done that more times than I like to think but only caused one accident so far. It was an expensive mistake but it could have been a lot worse. It would have been a nightmare if I couldn't speak the language and hadn't had somewhere to stay. Fortunately I was riding solo, the protective gear did the job and I got away without a scratch. My insurance company still hasn't paid and it was nearly two years ago. Make sure your insurance and breakdown cover is adequate, even if you have to take out extra. Most policies only give a bare minimum. Check if you need to inform the insurer before the trip, for how long a trip it covers, what's covered etc.

It's a lot better getting to Gib on a bike than in a car. You can go past the queues of cars at the border. The Spanish hold them up something shocking. As has been said it's because they find The Rock an irritation. Can't really blame them, what would you think if Spain held the Isle of Wight?

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Just wonderd... anyone going to the BMF do's?

May even have a few camp over tickets going cheap:dunno:
Well another time I would have been PMing but me and a mate are riding down to Venice so missing this year. Camped for the first time last year and it was fantastic value, the Meat Loaf cover act were great until he started chatting in a brum accent between songs.:)

BMF is THE place for cheap bike gear.

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Well another time I would have been PMing but me and a mate are riding down to Venice so missing this year. Camped for the first time last year and it was fantastic value, the Meat Loaf cover act were great until he started chatting in a brum accent between songs.:)

BMF is THE place for cheap bike gear.
:lmao:I was on the barrier, right in the middle. Made us crack up as well goodjob

short answer Yes

heres one of the few photos of my bike history my second actually back i nthe 70's (first was a raliegh Chopper my uncle put an engin in to no clutch tho )

OldSarumTY80.jpg

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
Did my CBT today, was great fun! Just need a bike now :D

Congratulations matey, if you want a good one for a bit of trail fun I highly recommend the TS125 (Suzuki) I used to have an '87 one for playing with and it had loads more power than most 125's you get now. I loved it for the size and weight

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
Current bike is T955i....current condition is paddock stands on, wheels off (I really must finish polishing the wheels)

Track bike was/is an old TZR250. raced it a couple of times too, BIG BUZZ and i'm not just talking about the high.
It has not been running since 2004 as some animals got into the air box and made a home, totally destroying the engine.

started looking to get it running this year....but just got too many projects on....I mean I'd never picked up a bushy before christmas now I've completed one.....made a spoon blade...reconditioned and rehandled axes/clevers, brought more hatchets...lit fires without matches...sold Bags of Home made lumpwood....I really need a rest from all these relaxing hobbies...this site alone has nearly cost me every friend I had!

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
here's my little Honda Varadero 125, rode from Plymouth to Dover in a day with an over night stop in the Odiham area, then Plymouth to Kinloss over three days, really enjoyed the trip, kipping in bushes only cost me £45 in fuel .

these were from a west cost over nighter in march last year, the first at Urquart castle on loch ness the second at Balacluish(sp) after waking up frozen to the ground on the isle of seil, good fun although didn't enjoy riding back in a snow storm had to stop at the little chef in Speen Bridge, had a cuppa with a bunch of Blackwatch who had stoofed there minibus into a tree just outside when the snow came in.
bikew2.jpg

bike.jpg

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
I am currently halfway through doing my CBT (It's taking longer than some because I've never had to deal with anything involving an engine and proper gears before. clutch control is taking some getting used to)
hopefully I'll finish it this thursday.
When I'm qualified, I'm looking at the Yamaha YBR125. Mainly to get me around after the summer, when I leave home for uni.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE