Any bikers here???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Woo! Got into top gear and went 40mph today! :p

Sure, it's not that exciting but it was fun ;)

Yup sure is exciting. 40mph on a bike is very different to 40mph in a car.

Take it nice and steady and enjoy the thrill, I have to say it doesn't diminish much over the years either and the smug grin you can give people stuck in traffic jams is priceless.

Leemoto eh? haven't heard of those bikes but then I'm waaaay out of the loop. Looks like a Honda CG125 engine or a bored out Honda CB100N.

@ Southey. That's most impressive mate! I toured Scotland back in 1980 on a Yamaha RS125 and my brother was on a DT100 all the way from Canterbury, Kent. People thought we were bonkers doing it, but no one could give us a decent reason why we shouldn't. Had a great time... except for the midges at Loch Ness.

Glad to see I'm not to only one adventureous to have a go at touring on a small CC bike. Bravo mate.

@ Phaserifle. It's Thursday, did you pass? Hope so.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Yup sure is exciting. 40mph on a bike is very different to 40mph in a car.

Take it nice and steady and enjoy the thrill, I have to say it doesn't diminish much over the years either and the smug grin you can give people stuck in traffic jams is priceless.

Leemoto eh? haven't heard of those bikes but then I'm waaaay out of the loop. Looks like a Honda CG125 engine or a bored out Honda CB100N.

@ Southey. That's most impressive mate! I toured Scotland back in 1980 on a Yamaha RS125 and my brother was on a DT100 all the way from Canterbury, Kent. People thought we were bonkers doing it, but no one could give us a decent reason why we shouldn't. Had a great time... except for the midges at Loch Ness.

Glad to see I'm not to only one adventureous to have a go at touring on a small CC bike. Bravo mate.

@ Phaserifle. It's Thursday, did you pass? Hope so.

Lexmoto street 125, it's a Chinese Suzuki copy. I still can't quite manage hill starts first time, I usually stall a couple of times first but I've got gear changing pretty much down to a tee now :)

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Thats a bummer Phaserifle, I bet your itching to get out and about.

Cheers Biker, the scotland from Plymouth trip was more out of nessecity, but once I passed Birmingham, it started to feel like a proper adventure, it had every thing from meeting weired and often helpful B road cafe people, to nears misses with crazy Polish truckers on the A9, loved Northumberland beutiful roads and scenery. Anyone else with small engine bikes should have a go its great fun going everywhare on A roads and below, I found the best fun was to decide how far I wanted to get that day then chose the route with either more fast roads or more country roads. and I can't recomend the Vara enough as a toura, it's a V twin 125,pistons must be tiny but it easly cruses at 70mph and will do 80 fully loaded on hills it drops to 65 but thats on hills like the Blackdown hills, realy comfy with lots of space to move around on, good strong bike.

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
Thats a bummer Phaserifle, I bet your itching to get out and about.

you have no idea. the thought of finally having the (relative) freedom of a proper vehicle has been all my only distraction these last few weeks.
since the alternative is sitting here trying to distract myself from my upcoming exams (when I'm not revising, obviously)

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Should I mention my forth coming trip to Scotland on the bike!!?!?
2k miles in less than a week.....I'm so excited and just cant hide it come on come on......
D

gsfgaz

Jul 19, 2009
Hamilton... scotland
here's my little Honda Varadero 125, rode from Plymouth to Dover in a day with an over night stop in the Odiham area, then Plymouth to Kinloss over three days, really enjoyed the trip, kipping in bushes only cost me £45 in fuel .

these were from a west cost over nighter in march last year, the first at Urquart castle on loch ness the second at Balacluish(sp) after waking up frozen to the ground on the isle of seil, good fun although didn't enjoy riding back in a snow storm had to stop at the little chef in Speen Bridge, had a cuppa with a bunch of Blackwatch who had stoofed there minibus into a tree just outside when the snow came in.
bikew2.jpg

bike.jpg

Nice wee bike mate , that's a good trip u done on a 125 .. well done

sparkplug

Forager
Jan 24, 2008
East Anglia
Congrats on the CBT!

And also well done for dropping it. It gets the embarrassment out of the way and battle scars are good!

Here's my daily ride in it's element..

rock.jpg

and when I say daily ride, I mean daily ride...
photo.jpg

I also have a Yamaha XT600E for playing on - but it's 'in progress' at the moment, and I've still got my MZ ETZ 125 - the best learner bike in the world :)

For those looking for tips on bike travel, you could do a lot worse than looking at www.horizonsunlimited.com This year's UK meeting is fully booked (next week) anyone who knows about it and is coming can come and say hi - I'll be doing the cooking by the big campfire :)

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
How do you guys deal with the sun? There is this road on the way home that is shaped a bit like a Z with the middle section being a bridge wide enough for one car and possibly a car and a motorbike with a very tight squeeze and in the evening going across it from one direction the sun is perfectly in line with my eyes and I can't see a thing, both times I've just had to go slowly across the bridge and hope that no one is coming the other way! (luckily there hasn't been) but it's pretty scary because I am almost completely blind going across. I tried wearing sunglasses and that didn't help very much. I'm really worried because it's the only way to get home without a HUGE detour. I did want to buy a helmet with a built-in sun visor but the one I could afford they didn't have in my size. Any suggestions?

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
just the same as you chap, just take it slow, lift your visor might help with the glare, i've a nolan with built sunny but even then sometimes it's to bright. or you could move house?

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
Some folk put a strip of darker translucent material along the top edge of the visor so all you have to do is drop your head a fraction.

Reacts much faster than all the reactolite lenses and you're not then stuck with looking through sunglasses when riding through a tunnel.

Richard

sparkplug

Forager
Jan 24, 2008
East Anglia
I've ridden with the buit in visor for years now - I wouldn't buy a helmet without it.

The first one I had was a Caberg which cost around £100 at the time - although these days I ride with a Schuberth. Still have the Caberg as a spare - it was a great helmet!

If your local stockist doesn't have one in your size then consider one of the online shops. Or maybe get to one of the big trade shows and try a few on from different companies.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
How do you guys deal with the sun?

Plan for it. Best idea is to avoid the situation if you can. Travel at a different time. Or stop and wait for the sun to go down -- it might not take as long as you think. Sometimes people get a terrible urge to get on, when it would make a lot more sense to stop and watch the world go by for a bit. This will probably all change later in the year, so it might only be a problem for a few weeks.

As has been said there are goodies like strips you can stick on the visor, and peaks. I've used a peak but only on an open face helmet that had no visor. I'd never go back to one of those for everyday wear but it might be worth a try for this particular situation for a few weeks in the year. Personal choice. I've heard horror stories about what unforseen things have been done by things that people have stuck to helmets and visors, and I wouldn't do anything like that.

One trick I use when it's raining is to keep my head moving all the time so that I'm looking through a different part of my visor at any given moment. The brain is remarkably good at sorting the distant signal from the close-up noise and you'll get a better view even through a semi-obscured visor. This also works, but not as well, with a dirty visor and sun.

Otherwise, weeeell, in view of your lack of experience I'm not suggesting you try any of this yourself yet, but...

First off, a visor (in fact anything between your eyes and the rest of the world) is a bit of a liability when the sun is in your face, especially if it's dirty -- and very often you can't avoid it being dirty. So I will usually lift my visor if the sun is shining on it so strongly that the only things I can see are those that are stuck to the visor. Obviously I will be going more slowly than normal if I'm having difficulty seeing what's there, so the risks from getting something like a rock in my eye are reduced. I can lift the visor in a second and drop it in probably half a second. More to the point I can do it without losing any control of the bike, no matter what else is going on. I don't know if they teach that in the CBT but I think it's an important skill to learn. Now that I think about it I use my right hand to open and close my visor. I think it's odd, as I'm left-handed, but I do.

Secondly, it's not just about speed but about the control you have over the bike. I will want to be in a lower gear than normal, because that gives me more control and I will be driving one handed :eek: so I can use my left (clutch) hand to shade my eyes. I will have more speed flexibility in a lower gear, and at a slow enough speed while shading my eyes with my left hand I can see far enough ahead to be able to change gear using the clutch (so for that fraction of a second I may be dazzled) if I need to and get my hand back to shading my eyes for the next bit of progress along the road. Of course I can easily change up a gear without using the clutch, but I try to avoid it. You might not yet be comfortable handling the bike with only one hand on the bars, and it isn't recommended routine, and I repeat I don't recommend it to you nor to anyone else. It's just what I do in some circumstances when I think it's safer than not doing it. You did ask.

Thirdly, you might be able to use the top of your crash helmet as a sun shield. It depends on the model and the fit. With very strong sun directly in your face, sunglasses and visors built into the helmet aren't a lot of use. My Schuberth helmet has a built-in visor and I find it's only really useful when the sun is high or behind me -- but it is very useful then.

Finally, if the sun is so directly behind the traffic that you really can't see where you're going, even if you can somehow shade your eyes, then you have no choice. Stop. It would be dangerous to proceed. It sounds like you've been in that dangerous area, and you won't live for very long that way.

Last edited:

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
If you can't get hold of a helmet with a drop down visor (I've got a Schuberth C2 that is brilliant for just that) you can buy some stick-on sunshields that cover the top portion of the visor. These aren't normally in your normal line of vision, but shield you from the sun unless it's really low, in which case you have to lean your head forward and look through it. If I remember where I've seen them, I'll let you know!

Biker

Another alternative to sunvisor and using your hand to shade your eyes is to Use the Force. "Let go with your feelings Luke."

I use it all the time to open automatic doors at our local supermarket and have yet to get a bruised nose.

Safe riding pal. Experience is a good teacher, be a good student and retain it

Snarf

Nomad
Mar 30, 2009
Birmingham
I use Oakley sunglasses, my lenses are polarized so the sun is no real problem unless its coming up to sunset, then no B**gers got a chance lol

Coincidently does any one know where i can get cheap Kawasaki parts?

CDI Unit has gone on my BN125 Eliminator (great commuter bike)

Snarf

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
So, how many 4x4s have overtaken you today? :p

Got the FJR out of the shed yesterday, and put it outside ready to go to Richmond to see about some new boots.

Haven't been yet, the bike's still there outside, waiting.

Work is a four-letter word, you know.

Still at least it hasn't rained. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE