Any bikers here???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I often do clutchless upshifts but never do clutchless downshifts.

Done right the upshift is as if not more smooth than clutching.
I preload the gear lever with a bit of pressure with my foot and just let off slightly on the throttle, as the throttle goes off the gear dogs snick in just fine.
If it causes the bike to lurch you're doing it wrong.

Doing downshifts without the clutch or being totally cackhanded is what knackers gears.

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
When I started to learn to drive a bus I was taught the mysterious art of double de-clutching. Clutch in, into neutral, clutch out, clutch in, into higher or lower gear, clutch out. There was no synchromesh on first and second gears on ANYTHING.
Now still go along on a bike (Harley or the GoldWing) and using revs, I can change up or down the box without the clutch - Yes I do have to use it to start off although I did ride home once through Cambridge and then the next 30 odd miles home without a clutch - the cable has stopped. Just knocked it in to neutral to stop and then "pushed- shuffled"- off and into first and away)
It just takes practice and throttle control. Its why the part one was introduced.
As an aside was anyone watching Sky Sports Monday night for the World Speedway Championships. I was riding the Harley with the White (British) team mascot on the back around Kings Lynn stadium at the start. Much spinning and light clutch and throttle control used on the wet shale surface for the first lap on the night, I can tell you

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Another question!

What do you do about parking tickets? As far as I've seen there isn't anywhere I could put a ticket on display on my bike without it getting nicked/blown away in the wind. I've seen one car park where they had a "motorbikes only" part that was free but what are you supposed to do normally?

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I have never bought a parking ticket, as long as it's not double yellow, or blocking access, you just don't take up that much room, even in the centre of inverness, just hop of lockup, and go have a sarnie it's cool, same deal in plymouth, basingstoke, can't really comment on any where else though. hows it all going though, do you live near gorran haven? don't know the Leckies at all?

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Asa Samuel said:
What do you do about parking tickets?

I don't know many places that charge to park a motorcycle and I wouldn't go to one of those unless life depended on it. :) I've parked bikes free for several weeks at three different airports although last time was a couple of years ago and things might have changed by now.

Don't park a motorcycle anywhere even slightly questionable in Nottingham, you will very likely get a parking fine. I got one for parking my bike on a pedestrians only street in the middle of Nottingham when it wasn't even on that street, it was in a bricked-up doorway on the next street. The only reason I was there at all was because the City Council's Website had got the address wrong for the place I'd gone to. 35 quid or go to court so I paid the 35 quid. Never been to Nottingham since, they'd have to pay me.

May 23, 2010
S. Yorkshire
Thanks for the info on clutchless shifting, I did a clutchless downshift the other day getting ready to do a regular downshift and thought something might be on the way out, good to know it's actually a nice little trick for when something does go.

As for parking, my understanding of it is that unless there are signs saying otherwise/no parking zone/etc., bikes can pretty much park anywhere and not have to pay for it. Not 100% with it, but I've had no problems going by this so far.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Looks like i might be on for another monster 125 jaunt, we're moving next month and the movers don't take motorbikes as they can't lift em on to there wagons, so it looks like i have to retake my cbt once moved as it ran out last month, although i think i'll do an all in one course and get my full licence, buteither way it results in a trip back down south from Kinloss to Aldershot, i think this time i'll try to stick to the west coast as i came up the east, any one got any nice places for an over night stop, i'm thinking carlisle area first night, Gloster area the second then home. really looking forward to it, at least this time it should be warm the trip up was mid feb and chilly.

Last edited:

Robbi

Banned
Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
thats a trip and a half on a 125 southey, good onya mate, if your coming down the west coast, Ross on Wye is a good place to stop before the next leg to Aldershott ( after riding through snowdonia )

stay safe mate

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Just a tip if you have a jacket and trousers with incompatible zips at the back, just take a close look at it - two minutes of filing down a single bump and the zips fit together on my pair :)

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Argh! It's absolutely chucking it down and I've got to be at college Wednesday morning, not looking forward to it as I've never ridden in heavy rain before!

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Argh! It's absolutely chucking it down and I've got to be at college Wednesday morning, not looking forward to it as I've never ridden in heavy rain before!

Well it might not still be raining on Wednesday... :) But it will be good experience if it is. You need to learn where the water gets in and how quickly (it will get in, it's just a matter of time). I find that the worst place is the water running down my sleeves and into my gloves. It helps a lot to wear a cheap oversuit even over good waterproofs, you can tuck your gloves and boots inside the suit to make the entry route more convoluted. They also give a surprising amount of extra draught proofing and insulation. Then it just depends on how waterproof the gloves and boots are. No matter what it says on the package they have to be very good indeed to be really waterproof. I sometimes use waterproof overmittens but you need to be really familiar with the bike to be able to drive it while wearing them as they make it very difficult to feel what's going on. For that reason I use them only rarely for very long wet cold journeys. Handlebar covers are good as long as they don't interfere with your control, you need to check them very carefully. I had a pair on my 1200 Bandit and I only noticed that they gave problems when I got to over ninety, when they started applying the clutch and brake for me at the same time.

The cold hits you harder when you're wet, make sure you're prepared for it if it's a long journey. When you get there it might be nice to have at least a change of socks, and for a very long or very wet journey maybe a complete change of clothing in a waterproof bag. You might want to consider some means of hanging things up to dry. On the bright side, you'll soon make a name for yourself. Tough guy, or nut case. :)

Make sure the bike's in top condition and made ready. Lights and tyres are even more important in the wet and you'll have enough to worry about without wondering if you're going to run out of fuel. If you have a bike with an open chain final drive, oil it now. The chain will probably need oiling a lot more often in wet weather, say every 100 miles at most. On a bike with an exposed final drive chain I take a little contact lens bottle full of 20/50 oil with me everywhere. Label it clearly so nobody puts it in their eyes.

Easy on the brakes, use the gears, keep it smooth, go slower into corners and gently accelerate throughout. Braking while cornering is generally considered bad idea and in the wet it's very much easier to lose your grip that way. Watch out for slippery surfaces if the rain has followed a dry spell, wet tyre rubber dust makes a good lubricant. Give yourself a lot more room, nobody else will. Make sure the anti-mist on your visor works. Furniture polish (on the outside only) might help. Try to stay away from vehicles which lift a lot of spray. Try not to scratch your visor wiping it with a gritty glove. Sometimes you may need to lift it just to see what you need to see, so don't be going so fast that the rain will blind you when it hits you in the eyes. It might sting your face but you can deal with that by gritting your teeth.

Be extra vigilant. Eye contact with other drivers becomes even more important, especially in mirrors (at this stage mostly your mirrors, unfortunately, but theirs too). Try to show people that you're battling with the conditions even if you aren't, they might even begin to understand. If you're leaving a lot of room in front of you then jerks on four wheels who have no idea about grip in the wet and make no allowances for it will hassle you or try to carve you up. So take command of your part of the road but try not to give too much offence. People will take offence anyway, practically the only thing you can do about that is watch out for your own safety in developing situations.

Start earlier than you need to. You can spend half an hour making new friends, drying your socks is a great ice-breaker. :)

If it gets bad, find a safe place to stop. Don't press on into danger because you've got to get there, you might end up at A&E instead.

I probably missed loads of things, think of this as just a few pointers. How far is the journey?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE