Any bikers here???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Thanks for writing that out Ged, it's very helpful!

The bike has only done 650Km so far (next service at 1000km) and the fuel seems to be lasting me ages which is a massive plus!
The journey took me 45 mins with little traffic but that was mid-day and apparently the traffic gets bad so I'm giving myself an hour and a half just to be sure, I can always fine-tune it once I get more comfortable on those roads. It starts out with windy country lanes then moves on to an A-road with a huuuuuuge hill and then finishes up skirting Truro city then into the college. I know the roads well but have only ridden them once or twice. The plan is to move closer before the end of the year and I should be within 15 minutes away so I won't have as much bother!

The forecast for Wednesday is heavy rain and as I am typing this I can hear it getting louder and louder! :sigh:

Robbi

Banned
Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
a tip for you...........on every bend you WILL find a man hole cover, these are very slippery and deadly when wet so look out for them and try and line yourself up early in the corner so that you miss them.......the other thing to look out for at this time of year is leaves on the road, these are really slippery so try and avoid them if possible.

ride safe.

Robbi

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
Biker here!

i use 1999 Honda Vtr 1000 Firestorm.

the last model they built on carbs, i,m not a luddite by any means , but i just prefer to know the fuel is being shoved into the motor the old fashioned way, (cheaper when it goes wrong too)

i fitted up-swept ART straight through race cans,...

it sounds like a lion on the job i tell you!!

and the power delivery of a Vee twin is completly addictive, i dont think i,ve ever fitted a front tyre, the front wheel seems repellant to the road ;-)

its not cutting adge race bike but it does what i want it to do

a weekend scratch about with the lads, and a bit of summer touring with the missus from time to time.

its getting time to cover it back up soon tho, ,....indian summer?????? PAH!!!!!

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
i use 1999 Honda Vtr 1000 Firestorm.
... prefer to know the fuel is being shoved into the motor the old fashioned way
... up-swept ART straight through race cans.
... the power delivery of a Vee twin is completly addictive
... dont think i,ve ever fitted a front tyre, the front wheel seems repellant to the road
... it does what i want it to do
... a bit of summer touring with the missus from time to time.
... getting time to cover it back up soon ...

We could hardly be more different. I go for four-cylinders, fuel injection, standard pipes (in fact standard everything), both wheels on the ground, drive it all year round, and SWMBO won't get on the back unless it's fitted with an arm chair (which fortunately the FJR is, and equally fortunately the 'Busa isn't:)). I do long journeys, and the vee twin gives me circulation problems in places we don't need to get into right now...

At least we can agree on the "does what I want it to do" bit. :)

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
We could hardly be more different. I go for four-cylinders, fuel injection, standard pipes (in fact standard everything), both wheels on the ground, drive it all year round, and SWMBO won't get on the back unless it's fitted with an arm chair (which fortunately the FJR is, and equally fortunately the 'Busa isn't:)). I do long journeys, and the vee twin gives me circulation problems in places we don't need to get into right now...

At least we can agree on the "does what I want it to do" bit. :)

hahahah

FJR and a BUSA!!! i,m envious ! so you like to tour then?

after our last trip to the lakes i looked at a Busa, for more room, the Storm took my oxford humpbacks well but did,nt leave much room for SWMBO,

we went for a week, i gave her both panniers and told her "your limited to this" hahah i had the tank bag and she STILL snook some bits in,..

i drew the line at hair straighteners tho!!

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
It's so handy being able to nip down the middle of two-lane standstill traffic :) How do the coppers view this and overtaking slow traffic though?

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
as long as your not endangering anyone, and travel at a speed where you can react to someone opening there doorat a sensible distance, they seem to be fine, just don't be tempted to travel on the kerbside. i.e undertaking, big nono.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
It's so handy being able to nip down the middle of two-lane standstill traffic :) How do the coppers view this and overtaking slow traffic though?

The fact that you have to ask the question concerns me a little. Be very careful.

It's called "filtering". It isn't illegal in the UK but in much of Europe and the Americas it is. That's probably because it isn't always safe. The police will take into account your manner of driving if and when they act. A traffic officer is a very highly trained driver. I've been out on bikes many times with serving traffic officers and they are absolutely amazing. They can assess your skill level in about three-quarters of a second, and if one pulls you over and gives you advice it's because he's seen things which concern him and you need to listen. It's for your own good, and everyone else's. He doesn't want to wipe your blood and brains off his uniform before he can go home for tea, I can assure you. And he's probably done that a few times in his life already.

I filter, sometimes in conditions and at speeds which might alarm you, but I'm taking great care when I do it. I know what the bike can (and can't) do, and what I can (and can't) do, and what the vehicles all around me can (and can't) do, and I'm constantly trading off the safety of my current situation with the situation that will unfold as I progress through the traffic. It takes a lot of practice, and you have to be able to completely forget about controlling the bike, it has to be like part of you. It takes some time to get to that level of comfort with a machine.

Many times when I've been on the Peripherique (Paris ring road) I've seen people on scooters and mopeds filtering in conditions and at speeds and with apparently so little care that I could only call it suicidal. Most of them are wearing jeans and sandals. It's terrifying. So I do relatively little filtering in Paris because it's so dangerous. Places like Bordeaux and Toulouse aren't as bad but they're still to be avoided if possible.

A few years ago on the Hayabusa I filtered to the front of a stationary queue at a red traffic light on the A38 in Derbyshire, and stopped. I waited for the light to turn green but the driver of the Mercedes van behind me didn't. He did several thousand pounds worth of damage to the bike when he pulled away but fortunately I managed to avoid being pushed under the bus that was crossing at the time.

As you gain more experience you'll start to ask less about what the police will think and more about what's safe, fluid, economical and courteous. When you've a few years' of experience under your belt I highly recommend getting on an advanced riding course run by the police if you can. Many of them are free, because it's more enjoyable and a lot cheaper than cleaning up the broken bodies and bits of plastic after another RTA involving a bike.

Filtering is a particularly tricky operation, partly because it brings you very close to tons of machinery which can inflict terrible injury and partly because you can "appear out of nowhere" as drivers often say just after they've wiped out a biker while changing lanes. Great caution is needed. I might have mentioned that short of jumping off Brighton Pier at low tide, riding a motorcycle is by a long way the most dangerous thing you can do in peacetime. Everything you do on the bike will tend to increase or to decrease the chances of your getting to your destination safely. That's true of if, when and how you filter.

Must rush now, sorry, have to go eat a pizza. :)

I agree with most of what Ged said.

I've had great advice from motorcycle police riders which has made me a better/ smoother rider (a common tip you may like to try is "brakeless riding" - choose a well known stretch of road and plan to ride it without braking at all - unless you have to of course! You will naturally slow down early for corners and such - but you will find that you ride that road quicker and smoother than you did before - try it, it works.

The Paris Peripherique is definitely an "experience" - but in it's defence, I find French drivers to be far more naturally safety conscious than British drivers - they don't drive bumper to bumper at speed for example and they are far more bike aware. I ride round it a lot and at first I was completely alarmed a la Ged - but having ridden it a lot - I now find it one of the most easy roads to filter at speed - there is a kind of flow to it that you have to tap into and like I said - French drivers generally expect bikes to filter and look out for them. The exception are the drivers in Marseille - I have ridden in London, Paris, New York - even Nairobi - all at rush hour and IMO we have a new world champion for having the worst, most inconsiderate drivers on the planet!

The general rule with filtering is - if the traffic is stationary and the way ahead is clear then you're generally OK. As soon as a car starts to move then it can also turn (to change lanes etc) - when this happens your concentration on the traffic ahead needs to be absolute.

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
An important tip when filtering is to ride defensively and expect every car to change lanes if they get the opportunity. Very often a car driver will see a gap in the other lane which may be moving slightly faster, and try to dart across, often without indicating. Look for signs that they may change lanes; indicators, front wheel turning, glances in their mirror and position/angle of car.

A second tip is to learn to judge the space between vehicles! It's all too easy to misjudge the gap, go for it and either clip a mirror or (more embarissing!) slam on the brakes :)

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
May I ask why you are concerned that I ask? Surely it's better for me to ask and be certain than uncertain and possibly do something wrong. My bike is only a commuter and can't do very high speeds anyway. I also only filter when the traffic is standstill or near standstill. The drivers around here are a lot more considerate than anywhere else I've seen and a few of them move over to give me extra room when filtering. There are plenty of people round here that wear very little on a motorbike, one I saw who was on a rust-bucket wearing a t-shirt, sandals, shorts, no gloves and had a carrier bag on his clutch-side handle! I always wear proper motorcycle trousers, jacket, gloves, boots and a hi-vis vest along with my helmet of course - unless I am going to the local shop 10 mins away on quiet roads in which case a don't wear the trousers. As usual I am glad for your advice Ged, thank you.

Southey: I never go kurb-side. Yesterday I was following three other bikes past rush-hour traffic and at one point one of the bikes went kurb-side round a moving car and at the same time one of the other bikes went the usual way - I would not want to have been the car!

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Would just add that that this is a cracking thread. As a complete novice (did CBT a few weeks ago) I've learned a lot from this one.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
After 30 years hoping to own one and 5 years waiting to own one, and a year wanting to comment on this thread - today I can say yes, I'm here and I am, or will be a biker having bought a GS Adventure today - delivered on Friday and I doubt if I'll sleep until I get it - BIG SMILE!

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
AHHhhhh! congratulations dude, I really like the gs's, it's a toss up between one of those or a MG Stelvio when I get my full licence. I bet your unbelievably excited.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Cheers mate - I saw the GS when they came out in 1980 and fell in love - it's taken 30 years almost to the day but I've got one now and got a killer deal :) Terrified and excited in equal measure! All the camping gear I've bought in the last 10 years has been bought to fit on and in it - I made cardboard side boxes to make sure things would fit - how sad am I :)

ged

Jul 16, 2009
After 30 years hoping to own one and 5 years waiting to own one, and a year wanting to comment on this thread - today I can say yes, I'm here and I am, or will be a biker having bought a GS Adventure today - delivered on Friday and I doubt if I'll sleep until I get it - BIG SMILE!

You mean the BMW 1200? You mean your first bike? Oh, I say, do please take care. That's a LOT of bike for a first bike.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE