Another way to hang a hammock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I had time over the weekend and swmbo available to take some piccies so I thought you may like to see how I set up my hammock. There are many ways to skin a rabbit after all;).

Essentially it is the way Uncle Ray sets up his eco-system with one minor addition I have found helps. (Obviously I have added this as I don't have the experience to not need it)

I have only shown the hammock setup to make things clearer but I would normally set up my tarp and ridge line first then set up under that.

When I first got the hammock I set it up with 2 2" straps around the trees connected with two screwgate karabiners and 2 lengths of 1" tape to connect to the hammock. It worked but was a fiddle to setup (nothing a third hand wouldn't fix of course) and gradually I developed this setup. It all fits into a drybag and is all connected together ready for use so makes setup very quick - I reckon under 2 mins now :D

Normally I would not lay it out like this on the ground, it is just to show you the entire setup. Once i have set up the tarp I clip the open drybag to my ridgeline to keep it off the ground and tie the straps to the trees before taking the hammock out. That way it is clean and dry off the ground.

This is the setup - hammock with 1" straps connected to it via 2" metal rings

dscf3738g.jpg

a close-up of the tarp / ring / strap setup (note the poor stitching by myself - not a worry as this is not load bearing in any way!;))

dscf3737b.jpg

Step 1

Tie the first strap to the tree using an evenk knot (shown in steps)

dscf3747p.jpg

dscf3748.jpg

dscf3749.jpg

dscf3750e.jpg

dscf3751.jpg

dscf3753o.jpg

I'm sure there are better demos out there but it is hard to show in stills!

Step 2

Do the same with the other strap to the other tree ;)

Step 3

holding the ring, tuck the strap back through it to form a loop

dscf3754.jpg

dscf3755c.jpg

dscf3756.jpg

once you have pulled sufficient strap through the ring pinch the strap to the ring with your thumb

dscf3757.jpg

pass the end you have been feeding through over the strap to the tree to form a loop and tuck through

dscf3758.jpg

pull more or less tight then pass another loop through the loop produced and pull tight - this will lock off the knot

dscf3759o.jpg

dscf3760k.jpg

dscf3761.jpg

This is pretty much the 'eco-system' way up to this point - my addition is the next step

I have made a guide rope with 2 clips one tied to each end

dscf3762a.jpg

The length is adjustable so once you have found the ideal 'dangle' you like on your hammock you can lock it off and the easily reproduce it in the future. This is a std catch 22 situation - you need to have set up the hammock once in a way you like to get the length but once you have it is easy to get the same setup every time;)

Step 4

Clip one end of the guide rope to one ring

dscf3763.jpg

now clip the other end to the other ring

dscf3764i.jpg

Step 5

Repeating step 3 pull the loop through till the guide rope is horizontal and taught - your hammock will have the perfect sag at this point

dscf3765.jpg

and tie off as before

dscf3767pry.jpg

This should give you a setup that looks similar to this (guide line is just visible)

dscf3768.jpg

now remove the guide line, it's job is done!

dscf3769l.jpg

Finally hank up the excess straps if necessary to keep out the way and tidy

Finally Step 6

Relax! :D

dscf3772b.jpg

Having written this and read it through it seems VERY complicated :rolleyes: but honestly it really isn't!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've also been using this setup for a couple of years since I watched Ray doing it on the vid. I used to do the two lengths and tied off with a bow knot but prefer this a lot more.

The only thing I do differently is to use a krab between the hammock cord and the steel ring. It's so I can unclip my hammock and put it away if I need the room under the tarp during a wet day.

Good tutorial Graham

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Well... I'm currently shopping for my first hammock, and am most grateful for the step by step guide... However... If I ever manage to remember all that I'll eat my hat. :rolleyes:

You don't fancy scribbling a paper version that'll fit into my belt pouch? ;)

I'm gonna have to practice knot tying in my bedroom of an evening otherwise, and my son will think him Mummy's gone bananas. :eek:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Well... I'm currently shopping for my first hammock, and am most grateful for the step by step guide... However... If I ever manage to remember all that I'll eat my hat. :rolleyes:

I'm gonna have to practice knot tying in my bedroom of an evening otherwise, and my son will think him Mummy's gone bananas. :eek:

It's only two knots Iona so it's not too tricky once you've mastered them. My wife's beyond caring now, when she sees me tying chair legs to tables etc she just turns the other way. :rolleyes:

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire

As I say it seems really complicated till you try it a couple of times! ;)

Simplez! - hightlight the whole tutorial then click file, print (and choose 'selection' from the print range option)

It will defiantly pay off - its one of those knots tha seems soooooo complicated untill it all falls into place and you think ' how on earth did i make it complicated!?'

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I like it! Think I'll have to start practicing when I have company, see how long it takes me to get sectioned: The chair legs and Table MUST be connected...:rant:

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
i like the idea with the perfect pitch utility clip line, I will give this method a go when i go out next, generally i have my hammock quite taught with not so much of a bow in it, i find this comfy enough, but ill try the u shape hammock config next.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Thats a cool setup Graham,
certainly like the method of repeating the sag of the hammock. I always seem to get it too tight, so if you don't mind, I'll steal the idea and run with it a while. Any chance of you measuring the cord to give me a ballpark idea - in one photo it looks pretty loose but in the next it doesn;t seem so bad.
I'm still using 2" strapping with the original steel hooks and spending way too much time fiddling and adjusting each time I set it up.

ATB

Ogri the trog

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I'll try to dig it out the loft tommorow but I think it is roughly 6" shorter than the hammock length ring to ring. Oddly It's not a lot to be honest Ogri:rolleyes:

The way I did it was to set it up how I like it then create the line to suit

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I'll try to dig it out the loft tommorow but I think it is roughly 6" shorter than the hammock length ring to ring. Oddly It's not a lot to be honest Ogri:rolleyes:

The way I did it was to set it up how I like it then create the line to suit

Don't go rummaging in the loft just to measure it, the "6" shorter indication" is plenty close enough to be going on with.
Thanks for getting back so quickly.

ATB

Ogri the trog

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
One question; what's the benefit/difference in hanging a hammock slack rather than tought?

I believe it is accepted that it is more comfortable - bizarrely you can lie (diagonally) flatter if there is a bit of sag.

I guess it is just a matter of taste but I prefer a slight sag ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE