.Different buckles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Whenever I find a good belt with a proper solid brass buckle I always salvage it.

But for my future projects I need to get buckles in...more expense!

And there are two types, I note

One with two bars
The other with one bar and then the strap will go through a leather loop to keep it.

I assume these are for different purposes or not. Which is best?

Ideally I would try both but I have straps of different width, so would need a good supply of hardware.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I dunno but a quick check of my traditional buckles (as opposed to plastic clips) indicates that the one bar buckles plus leather keepers are on my belts and the two bar buckles are on the narrower straps of cases etc. I can’t see that it makes much difference.

I have many more belts than ties but not a huge sample. Others may have more information.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
The heel-bar buckle requires another metal or leather keeper to keep the belt flat whereas the centre-bar buckle does not and tends to look smarter if on show as it sits symmetrically at the centre of the belt. A lot of ornamental buckles are centre-bar for that reason.

But, when all said and done, they both hold my trousers up :)

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Ah, I was wondering.

I was going to buy some buckles but I had a look through my kit; I think I have suitable ones for my projects.

Which is good as Im trying to spend as little money as possible...most things I can make anyhow.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I used to get buckles from charity shop belts but I think someone it’s getting ahead of me these days and only plastic & light alloy ones are left.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
You may be right...but a lot of belts are cheap rubbish to begin with.

(Found a good one the other day)

Old saddlery is handy too.

GeoffWood

Maker
Sep 30, 2008
Derbyshire
I have always preferred solid, cast brass buckles. They always look good even when scratched and can be relied upon.
Sometimes, even high price belts use poor quality buckles.
Whether you choose double or single buckle (with keeper) is personal preference but you can't beat a "West End" single buckle with keeper for the smart look:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE