Ancient Newbie

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

legin

Tenderfoot
Nov 30, 2009
Spalding
I am an ex Squaddie, retired Policeman who now brainwashes students at a local school into being happy and successful. I have watched Ray Mears and others on TV and decided it's about time I actually learned some of these skills and put them into practice.

All advice and help gratefully received. I can take a joke and do pay my round in the pub. :beerchug:

Nigel.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Welcome, my old man is about 2 years off retirement in GMP, he's a squaddie turned copper too ;)
welcome and enjoy, they're a frendly bunch on here and no question is too small or to silly to ask ;)

Firebringer

Jun 5, 2009
Scotland
"who now brainwashes students at a local school into being happy and successful"

Guess no harm in giving them unrealistic expectations of real life!

Seriously though, welcome to the boards.

Firebringer

legin

Tenderfoot
Nov 30, 2009
Spalding
are you a real fenny ?
Nah. I emigrated from dahn sarf. I've only been in Spalding for thirty years. I moved Sunray Domestic and girls in the year before I left the Army. I do know a bit of the county from when I was on the firearms team though. I also ran the local ACF detachment for six years and took the lads and lasses into wild country. At school I help out with the D of E training for expeditions, as well as supervising & assessing them.

I have plenty of camping gear and have started "collecting" bushcraft stuff. I am treating myself to Stephen Cox knife that should arrive March/April time as he has a waiting list. My grandson looks as though he is going to be an outdoors type so I would like to be able to show him some skills that I will have to learn.

Thanks for the welcome folks.

Nigel.

legin

Tenderfoot
Nov 30, 2009
Spalding
Guess no harm in giving them unrealistic expectations of real life!
I look upon it as the opposite. I inform them that in real life there are losers as well as winners, then go on to explain where I originally went wrong in the hope that they learn from my mistakes. If they are interested, I will show them how to improve their chances of having what I consider to be a good life. I know that I have affected one or two over the four years I have been at the school and consider that a success as it could be one or two that may not have "got it" without my intervention. 36 youngsters went on a WW1 Battlefield trip in March. We stayed in Ypres and attended the service that is held at 20:00 every night. I wore a beret, my medals and Dad's & Granddad's medals. It is a very moving experience and one or two of the lads "got it" there too.

Nigel.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE