An amazing rewilding.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
To me, this was the most telling statement.

The speed at which all these species — and many more — have appeared has astonished observers, particularly as our intensively farmed land was, biologically speaking, in dire condition in 2001, at the start of the project.

The key to Knepp’s extraordinary success? It’s about surrendering all preconceptions, and simply observing what happens.

By contrast, conventional conservation tends to be about targets and control, and often involves micro-managing a habitat for the perceived benefit of several chosen species.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Makes one wonder if such a resurgence of wildlife could be encouraged in other areas....like the sub marginal lower uplands which are heavily sheep grazed. Where they keep goats and sheep out of desert scrublands the enormous increase in vegetation creates viable microclimatest that allows other species to colonise and thrive too.

M

Reactions: MrEd

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Yes it could. And should be done.
I would love to see Ashdown Forest taken care of and 'rewilded'.

Check out what has happened to the area around Chernobyl, as soon as they moved the humans out.
Fantastic rebound in all sorts of wildlife, from deer, wolves, bear, lynx, the lot.

Unfortunately, in Europe, marginal farmland is turned to mono culture forest land. Forest farming land.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's the whole 'the land belongs to me' kind of thing, instead of we belong to the Earth.
Too many people and even if we slow down our population growth in the UK and Europe other countries aren't doing it and just 'export' people.
It needs a massive world wide culture shift.
Can't see it happening any time soon unfortunately.

M

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
True.
And the chase for the increasing profits...

That lady in the first post, she can do it is a profitable business by getting grants ( not 100% sure how much) and the fact that some people are happy to pay for Organic meat.

Not all farmers can do it, only a small %. The rest have to have high intensive animal husbandry.
Sad.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Twenty four years ago I excluded sheep from a small area of field and woodland (just 4.5 acres) and decided, instead of managing it in a specific direction and for specific species, I would 'see what happens' (no, it wasn't laziness honestly :) ).

Unfortunately I didn't carry out a bio-diversity survey before I started (amateur naivety) but some of the changes are easily noticeable and there are pluses and minuses as always when an environment changes.

I have now taken on an additional 15 acres of Ancient Semi Natural Woodland that has not been managed for over a hundred years. This will be managed in a slightly different way - gentle 'as needed' management keeping the rides open etc. but nothing drastic; it's rich in mosses, liverworts, fungi and ferns and I need to make sure we don't lose that. I allow a small number of sheep in to act as the herbivores (half a dozen at the moment; I need to see how that works) and we have badger, fox and hare so far (the cameras are out!). We are now starting the bio-diversity survey so will have a much better account of any changes.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That sounds wonderful. I'd love a woodland or meadow. It must be a never ending source of pleasure to live with.
I hope your 'experiment' thrives :)

M

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
There are 3 parts to ecology: nutrient cycles, energy flow and populations. Populations are the most glamorous to study.
The Knepp place is 3,500 acres which points to the requirement for a land base large enough to provide nutrient cycles and energy flow.
Cannot be done this way as the land base collapses. Intense agri-business must ignore ecological principles.

Tree farming? Of course. It's a fiber crop. Reduces your dependence on offshore supply.
Same fiber crop here at my place. Only difference is that we have such a gigantic land base that nobody blinks at cycles of forest harvest and replanting.
Makes for an even aged, predictable crop.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I fully understand the need for fibers crops, but hate the "fields" they are grown on.
Basically impossible to walk in, no wildlife, no ground covering bushes or plants.
No funghi.

Kind of 'sterile' environment.

Where I lived in Sweden, north Scania and Smaland, used to have open agricultural landscapes (small fields) with forested hills and such.
Poor soil for being in Sweden. You Brits would call it incredibly, unbelievably poor soil!
Large % of the population left for Canada and US between 1850 and 1920. And the cities.

Today it is a fiber mono crop area.

You can still find where the farms used to be, and field boundaries ( stone walls, collapsed)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE