Am i going mad or is the earth moving sam? (UBER PIC HEAVY!!)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HarrogateTobias

Feb 4, 2011
Heaton, Newcastle
Hi all, im posting this thread after a 1 nighter in some family woods.

It all started normally, we got setup and got the fire going well. Got the water boiling and as i sat there pondering lifes many questions i noticed something... The ground was rising and falling slowly, i watched this for a few seconds and wiped my eyes thinking maybe i was a bit dehydrated. A few minutes later it happend again.. am i going mad?

I said " Sam did you see that"
"what" he said
"the ground is moving mate!"
"you what"
"the ground is bloody moving look!"

Sam looked for minute or so and said

"no mate its the light playing tricks on you"

I sat there fixed upon this section of earth thinking

"yeah hes right its probally nothing"

Suddenly it moved again lifting our entire log pile up a few centimetres

" Sam mate seriously you see that!"

He looked

"Wow"

"it must be a badger or animal trapped" i said

We sat there for maybe five minutes transfixed, watching..

It moved again even higher.

Sam got bored, stood up and jumped on it with all his 300lb's, not even a dent?

"no animal can move that much earth" sam said

I agreed

Sam was kneeling on the spot when he suddenly jumped up cursing.

"you idiot!"

"what" i said

"Its the wind blowing the trees!"

"Jesus!, HAHAHA" i remarked

We laughed for 10 mins straight...

It turns out that the trees were so battered by the wind that year the roots had no footing and were only held down my the thin soil and moss.

This goes to show how inexperienced we are and i personally will never forget feeling so daft.

Hoped you all enjoyed that....

This was the largest clearing in the wood and the only comfortable spot. To make it safe we had to lay down a large dead wood overhanging my setup.

Apart from that the trees we well seated

What a night.. and surprisingly cold

Tobias

IMAG0618.jpg

IMAG0619.jpg

IMAG0620.jpg

IMAG0621.jpg

IMAG0622.jpg

IMAG0623.jpg

IMAG0624.jpg

IMAG0625.jpg

IMAG0626.jpg

IMAG0627.jpg

IMAG0628.jpg

IMAG0629.jpg

IMAG0630.jpg

IMAG0631.jpg

IMAG0632.jpg

IMAG0633.jpg

IMAG0634.jpg

IMAG0635.jpg

IMAG0636.jpg

IMAG0637.jpg

IMAG0638.jpg

I made this tomahawk cover out of a sleeve of a useless "fashion" camo jacket ive had for years.... fits perfect

i have it sticking out from my bag when walking so this is a must for public travel

IMAG0639.jpg

IMAG0640.jpg

Sams dutch artic sleeping bag with british DPM goretex bivvi prepacked into snugpak compression sack...
IMAG0641.jpg

He slept like a baby!
IMAG0643.jpg

What a glorious morning

IMAG0645.jpg

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Been there done that, nothing to be ashamed of, just be careful which mushrooms you eat :)

Nice piccies, thanks for sharing

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I remember being with a group in a 'schwingmoor' - basically a thin soil crust of about a foot thickness over 30 feet of peat slurry. If you pushed against the ground with both feet, you could see ripples in the ground moving away from you! (like Neo leaping into the air in "The Matrix" sequel). The guidance was "Never be out of line of sight of anyone else in here, in case you go through the crust with both feet, because you will need to be pulled out". Everyone went through with one leg at some point, usually more than once. Scary sensation.

It was so liquid under the crust, I remember I leant on a tree that was about a foot in diameter. The tree gave under my weight and fell over. :yikes: When I stopped leaning, it simply swung upright again as if nothing had happened.

HarrogateTobias

Feb 4, 2011
Heaton, Newcastle
I remember being with a group in a 'schwingmoor' - basically a thin soil crust of about a foot thickness over 30 feet of peat slurry. If you pushed against the ground with both feet, you could see ripples in the ground moving away from you! (like Neo leaping into the air in "The Matrix" sequel). The guidance was "Never be out of line of sight of anyone else in here, in case you go through the crust with both feet, because you will need to be pulled out". Everyone went through with one leg at some point, usually more than once. Scary sensation.

It was so liquid under the crust, I remember I leant on a tree that was about a foot in diameter. The tree gave under my weight and fell over. :yikes: When I stopped leaning, it simply swung upright again as if nothing had happened.

ive never had that but the weakness of the trees gave me some doubts..

I was proposing to sam we spend the night on the moors (north yorkshire) and he quite rightly said it would be a horrilble time unless dry weather had followed.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Harvestman, your story sounds really spooky. Where was that? .... so I can avoid it. hehehehhee

Don't remember the exact location, but it was nature reserve in Cheshire somewhere. Only known site in the UK at the time for 2 very rare species of spiders - neither of which we found, despite the whole point of being there was to look for them. British Arachnological Society field trip, for those who are curious.

The site was terrifying for the first half hour, as we were afraid to take a step, but we soon got used to it. Making 'ground waves' is hilarious, if a good way to give yourself nausea. Doing it with someone (or a tree) nearby meant you could watch them go up and down as the wave passed. Really weird.

yeha

Tenderfoot
Oct 4, 2009
North Yorkshire
I've often wondered about spending the night in Stainburn but never get around to it. Quite often take the kids for a walk, hang the hammock and brew up though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE