"airing" out

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington
a question to the cold, wet & damp campers amoung us.

During summer camps and hangs, i try and air out my cloths (down jacket, base layers etc) at night, and then air out my down bag in the day, to keep the moist away but also try to keep them fresh as possible. In summer its not usually a problem.

Now in winter whilst in a tent its not usually a problem, get the cloths high in the tent and my body heat usually helps.... But when hanging i try to get my base layers, down jacket hung under the tarp to protect from rain but they're always covered in condensation in the morning, usually worse than when they were hung up. So now i just pack them away.

Wondering if anyone has any tips or methods whilst in the wet winter months?

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Packing your stuff away I think is the best solution...........anything left out over night, even under cover at this time of year is gonna get damp, even sodden; things are usually better though during a good cold, sub zero spell with a nice Northerly breeze.....there ain't even a dew on the ground sometimes.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I usually put clothes inside my bivibag but not inside my sleeping bag. This lets them have the body warmth but still loose moisture.
That`s only for "just" damp stuff though. If its wet i just leave them under cover and brave it in the morning.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I usually put clothes inside my bivibag but not inside my sleeping bag. This lets them have the body warmth but still loose moisture.
That`s only for "just" damp stuff though. If its wet i just leave them under cover and brave it in the morning.

this, or i used my underquilt to store the damp kit,

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I use my insulative clothing as part of my sleep system. A down jacket or gilet goes over my feet , or over my torso as a blanket, depending on what I wear to sleep in. My body heat ensures that condensation won't form on them and they stay dry.

I also use waterproof and breathable stuff sacks so things dry out a little inside. They don't dry quickly in them at all but I can tell the difference between non-breathable sacks and breathable.

Not really airing them out but it keeps me warm and dry on extended camps.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE