Getting wet in Winter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RichardJackson

Forager
Jul 7, 2011
Beccles
I echo much of what has been said before. The clothing changes depending on the location and the task as well as the weather. For example:

If I know I am going to get wet (and cold) camping in the mountains then its plastic thermals and buffalo with goretex on top. There will eventually be wetting out on the shoulders, the waist or the cheststrap but the buffalo keeps one warm and dries either during excercise or at night. I wont change damp baselayers so I can dry by bodyheat, just adding synthetic mothership jacket and then synthetic sleeping bag on top in camp/in bed. Headwear would be goretex/fleece mountain hat (looks stupid but is warm, waterproof and aerodynamic) I now use drysocks rather than goretex boots; these might get swapped out for fluffy dry wool sleepsocks.

For cold wet days fencing it's plastic thermals and buffalo under plastic waterproofs

For cold wet days coppicing etc then its wool thermals and cotton surplus jungle shirt with cottonproof treatment (and now upgraded 'waterproof' chainsaw trousers) with mothership warm jacket and wool hat for breaks. The cotton layers are for thorn and fire protection.

I love my wool thermals and layers for 'all the time' but I value the plastic thermals and fleece for their quickdrying while being worn if I know I am going to get wet, however good the waterproof layers I might be able to wear.

And so the variations go on ad infinitum...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Reactions: gibson 175
D

Deleted member 57209

These days I am a fair weather outdoor person however eventually your gonna get wet. so I always carry the kit for all weather's including shelter, and most importantly spare dry clothing and socks.

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
Do you avoid getting wet in winter or just get stuck in, get wet and sort yourself out? There's obviously a danger to being wet, cold, having wind on you etc, how do you avoid that and if you've got wet and you're out camping or trekking what do you do to keep yourself safe?

I tend to avoid getting wet if I can, especially my feet, unless I know that I can get dry relatively soon, usually that's just a towel of some sort or I'll be going home. I get in the sea at least weekly, cold shower etc so feel fairly toughened to cold but I'm still fairly cautious...

Anyone had experiences around getting wet in the winter?
The best time to go hunting is in winter

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE