Getting wet in Winter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
A third base layer option are fishnets offered by BRYNJE in
Norway. A ocean kayak club in New Zealand promoted wise advise years past. ‘ buy the very best gear you can , but NEVER go out based on having it alone.’
I was in a gun store. This guy was bitterly complaining about a fruitless hunt in Alaska. Seems he left the lodge in extreme sub zero temps so cold the cartridge primers failed to ignite. Owner asked me to weigh in. I’m uh, do you think the game is going to be out in those conditions?
Unless you’re NLBI etc WHAT is so compelling to get wet anyway?

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
One does not get wet in winter.

The main exceptions mostly are situations where there is a warm place close by.

But if it is accidental there are some tricks that might help. As RV said evaporating water takes a relatively huge amount of energy, so wringing those clothes that can take it helps a lot. Even wet clothes give protection from the wind that tends to be the killer above freezing. But still if one wants to survive an air layer next to skin is the solution, fish net underwear is a good start, something very fluffy next and one has a chance.

Depending on the weather conditions one can sometimes just go on walking or skiing and by the end of the day be fairly dry. The going is usually somewhat uncomfortable though.

When trekking I always have a change of clothes with me and every chance of drying anything wet is utilized.

I remember reading about one experienced trekker who carried a hot water bottle with him in colder times. While it is difficult to utilize a small cooker for drying things he heated water and then used the bottle to keep warm or dry things.

A lot of little things that can save the day but still, one does not get wet in winter.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Tony, I know what you mean, the UK winter conditions, especially in the lowland areas mean you will most likely have a hard time staying dry, and to make it worse staying dry in a static position usually means you end up wet if the activity level increases. I either do the same as @John Fenna and use ventile and wool, swapping the ventile for a membrane layer when in lower activity situations, but am aware that quite often I will end up wet. But wet and warm is not so bad when you get used to it.

Louis

Reactions: gibson 175

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I don't mind the wet in warm weather, but at this time of year and at my stage in life I am avoidant if at all possible, it's the combination of a cold wind and the wet that saps my energy and does my joints no favours. Otherwise I am with John Fenna, wool, ventile, waxed canvas.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
The weather is what the weather is. I’m out in all weathers. Running a Bushcraft school and managing woodland you get used to dealing with the conditions.
I might change the method of what I’m doing but rarely the activity. Some times I move to an alternative location that is more sheltered. Dynamic risk assessment is a way of life.

Poor weather is an opportunity to test your skills and hone technique. Sometimes you make stupid errors. Leaving your boots too close to the edge of a tarp was my latest oops.

The main issue with the British winter is Non Freezing Cold Injuries to extremities. We need a period of warm and dry each day. I’m incredibly precious with my sleeping bag and socks. I meticulously dry my feet at every opportunity and monitor myself for warning signs. prevention is better than cure.

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
Scotland has a particular brand of wet and cold. Sleet and rain to soak you at lower altitudes and then freezing conditions and wind on the climbs and at higher altitudes. Thinking back to activities I've been involved in, in the mountains, caving, diving, I've found generally that being wet is ok so long as you're active. But when you stop, to belay for example, you get cold very quickly, particularly in the wind For short stops you can put on an extra layer, belay jacket etc. But beyond this I think having an absolutely dry set of clothes and access to some kind of shelter is fairly critical.

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
There was a backpacking fad called ‘ vapor barrier liners’
I have no idea if this idiotic strategy
Is still around?
Idea was; you donned plastic in your sleeping bag something like a sandwich in a ziplock baggie. You then slept a warm, if soggy night in your own perspiration.
The flaw, if you egressed said cocoon to dress; that perspiration rapidly chilled to hypothermia.
Stuff happens. If you get wet and cold the solution is to get dry and get warm.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
I hate getting wet, I really hate getting wet in winter. Although I run hot I loose heat PDQ as I don’t have much of a body fat store.
I try to keep as dry so avoid going out in the rain as much as possible at this time of year.
I have assorted coats and have recently replaced my old wax gilet for a new one without holes and rips so I’m enjoying the luxury of this new garment!
S

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Last weekend we ran a Bushcraft skills course for youth leaders. The weather was miserable. Torrential rain and high winds. Of our eight clients 6 had some form of gear failure that meant they got wet during the night. One bailed out the others ploughed through with damp sleeping bags. 3 hammocks had wet ends. You could wring out their straps. Despite the krabs and excess webbing water wicked into the hammocks. A puddle in a hammock is no fun. one of the wet hammocks only had 2.7m tarp So some water was probably driving rain.

1 tent outer Touching the inner tent when wet and blown by the strong winds resulted in wet feet. A tarp tent positioned so that water run under the fly. Hard to avoid in the conditions.

Fortunately for the students they were sleeping over for a single night so no harm done only a damp restless night. Lessons were learned.

although I’m still not sure what to do with the straps getting soaked. As the karabiner and extra webbing should have acted as drip lines.

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
One does not get wet in winter.
This is a british forum and therefore mostly is about british weather. And british winter is wet and windy, not dry a ours i Finland.
The white 100% cotton ski jacket I bought is perfect shell for bicycling i finnish dry cold winter. But would not want it in UK where there is rain wintertime.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
This is a british forum and therefore mostly is about british weather. And british winter is wet and windy, not dry a ours i Finland.

OK, my bad expression. Should have been: One should avoid getting wet in winter in any way possible.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
The white 100% cotton ski jacket I bought is perfect shell for bicycling i finnish dry cold winter. But would not want it in UK where there is rain wintertime.
I much prefer winters in Finland. Cold and dry for the most part. Decent snow, frozen lakes to explore.
here in Sussex it’s very wet currently 4-5C. I live a 2km for the sea. Rarely get snow. So winters are miserable with mud everywhere and a damp cold that’s just not fun.

Reactions: Herman30 and SaraR

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
I like to carry a spare set of clothing in a dry bag just in case I'm soaked, but its usually more sweat inside than wet if I wear the right things and don't go out in a storm.
Merino base layer with a regular shirt on top helps. My issues are head and hands- finding something I can wear to keep me dry, but not overheat at the same time.

Clothing and backpacks feel like a constant battle for me, and I constantly swap and change out what I use/wear, in hope of finding something perfect or closer to than the last setup.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Last weekend we ran a Bushcraft skills course for youth leaders. The weather was miserable. Torrential rain and high winds. Of our eight clients 6 had some form of gear failure that meant they got wet during the night. One bailed out the others ploughed through with damp sleeping bags. 3 hammocks had wet ends. You could wring out their straps. Despite the krabs and excess webbing water wicked into the hammocks. A puddle in a hammock is no fun. one of the wet hammocks only had 2.7m tarp So some water was probably driving rain.

1 tent outer Touching the inner tent when wet and blown by the strong winds resulted in wet feet. A tarp tent positioned so that water run under the fly. Hard to avoid in the conditions.

Fortunately for the students they were sleeping over for a single night so no harm done only a damp restless night. Lessons were learned.

although I’m still not sure what to do with the straps getting soaked. As the karabiner and extra webbing should have acted as drip lines.
How about a waterproofer for the straps? I know that it won’t actually make them waterproof because of the weave but it might discourage them from soaking up water in the first instance.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I recall VBL was discussed in UL use as a means to reduce the insulation needed hence weight. IIRC it was about use in winter in cold conditions in the hills. As in well below zero even in UK. But more when talking about use in American mountains.

I say that because VBLs are about reducing sweat getting to your insulating layer and reducing it's performance. I've noticed I get over heated in summer months but get cold later in the night or early morning. That's the issue with damp, down. If that's not a potential effect for you then it's not a good idea. It can be a good idea in the right conditions and circumstances. However that takes a lot of knowledge and experience to know when and to use it right. I know the theory but would never want to use a VBL. I'm not really the type of user they're made for anyway.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I'm sure we've all got wet on trips despite our best efforts not to. The only really sound strategy (on top of delaying the inevitable with the right gear) is to have a 100% secure dry set of clothes for when we stop.

Canoe trekking I don't wear dry suits, it just ruins the experience, it's too 'plastic'. So, with the high probability of getting a complete soaking on white water (I have difficulty kneeling these days so going swimming is a likelihood) I have to rely on keeping my spare gear 100% dry. I now adopt the same technology when walking.

The worst bit is having the courage to put the wet stuff back on in the morning :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE