A quick introduction

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Joethefish

Tenderfoot
Dec 8, 2006
Warwick, Midlads UK
Hi all just found this site and thought i'd say how excellent it is, and guess inroduce myself before i bombard you all with questions!
Im Joe, 26, im based in Warwick in the midlands, although not quite into the lifestyle as much as many appear to be on this board i definately share an interest in and liking for the subject.
Im a freediver and spearfisherman (when im not at work and can afford the fuel for my landrover!) so can often be found on the south coast foraging for free food under the water.. mmmm all those lovely shellfish sea bass and lobster not to mention the zillion other things to see and eat! If anyone hasnt heard of this as a hobby or wants some more information i'll happily do a thread on it if there is enough interest im also always happy to personally introduce people to the sport.Hopefully im right in thinking it fits in quite nicely with the way of life.
I used to shoot and hunt although quit after getting shot by poachers, however im looking at starting again (if anyone has a nice air rifle for sale ;) ) Guess that about covers me really hopefully i can learn a lot and maybe bring some fresh ideas and info to you all feel free to contact me about any of the above areas of my expertise!.
Joe.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Hi Joe and welcome here.....Not into eating fish meself, but I bet many on here would like to see a thread of how you go about freediving, I have not seen it mentioned on here before (though it could still be on here somewhere). Go for it mate....

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Welcome to the site.
Shot by poachers - deliberately?
Very nasty!
Interesting stuff about the fishies etc - no polution worries on the S. Coast?
I avoid shellfish from the Welsh Coast..... the most radioactive seas in the world I belive!

Joethefish

Tenderfoot
Dec 8, 2006
Warwick, Midlads UK
Thanks for all the replys guys, yes i like the place and good on you all for making me feel welcome!
In answer to the couple of questions ive already had.. yes shot on purpose.. and wouldnt you know it only day i didn't take my mobile and 1.5 mile from nearest people... urrgghhh!
and im writing a thread over my next couple of nightshifts, expect it to be up soon. Maybe with some photos... if i can figure that bit out.
Thanks
Joe

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
im writing a thread over my next couple of nightshifts, expect it to be up soon. Maybe with some photos... if i can figure that bit out.
Check out the 'Suggestions, bugs and Feedback' forum as I'm pretty sure there are a coulpe of tutorials in there explaining how to add pics/photos to your thread. Quite a few people in the past have had troubles working out how to do it and posted in there for some help :D

:)
Ed

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Joethefish said:
Thanks for all the replys guys, yes i like the place and good on you all for making me feel welcome!
In answer to the couple of questions ive already had.. yes shot on purpose.. and wouldnt you know it only day i didn't take my mobile and 1.5 mile from nearest people... urrgghhh!
and im writing a thread over my next couple of nightshifts, expect it to be up soon. Maybe with some photos... if i can figure that bit out.
Thanks
Joe
Joe.....If you want a tutorial on putting up photo's, pm me your email addy and I will send it to you.......

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Welcome to the site. Hope you enjoy it. I have a son who lives in the south and we are often on the M6. I just love the sign for 'Historic Warwick', gets me every time. :)

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Stuart said:
Hello Joe

welcome to BCUK, come on in and make yourself at home

yes please, a thread on freediving for sea food would be great

I'd love to read that too - and maybe join you in the summer! Must start hyper ventilating now.......

Joethefish

Tenderfoot
Dec 8, 2006
Warwick, Midlads UK
Hi again all,
Glad to hear you are looking forward to the thread.. was supposed to write it this weekend but now im braving the weather and off diving for some late season sea bass, lobster and a few scallops!
In answer to the few questions ive already had.. Historic Warwick sucks! The castle is good but everywhere else is antiques shops and houses cost to much! (Maybe i should move into a tepee!?)
As for suit and weight i wear a 5mm open cell two piece freediving suit made by omer (in my opinion the best freedive/spearfishing gear.. and im a importer) I use 8kg of lead, The 5mm suit is spot on apart from the next couple of months when i'll start getting a little cold after 3 or 4 hours.. most of my dive trips mean at least 5 in the water.. in the summer at least! Its the getting changed after that is a little less warm!
and for whoever said hyperventilate... Dont! well no more than 3 quick breaths, hyperventilating before a dive is a short cut to not coming back up!
All will be explained in my thread.. eventually!
Always glad to introduce people to the sport on a one to one basis, for safety reasons.. so if any one is really interested after reading my thread then im sure it can be arranged!
Joe
oh for those of you interested in any of the gear check out Omer on any search engine or www.spearo.co.uk a company run by a good mate and also the UK's best spearfisher.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE