A Food & Shelter Challenge...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Just an update on things peeps, im looking into a survival escape & evasion type traing course, people would have to pay but all levels would be welcome though.

It would be on military land with teaching of basic skills & then the escape & evasion phase, this would involve 2 days on the run being hunted by men dogs etc, using your skills to feed keep warm & do what you can in the 2 days in a team of 2, budy budy type team...

Anyway, will post a new thread when im home & have some details.

Thanks all

Chris

Sent from my GT-S5570 using Tapatalk 2

I would be well up for this cost depending!!!
Keep us informed!!!
Cheers
Steve

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The survival bag is just a sheet of orange plastic approx 1.8M by 0.9M which can be used in an emergency as a sleeping bag. Unlike gore-tex they are not breathable and you end up both soaking wet and an attraction to all the creapy crawlies, also if you have your head in it you can lack oxygen leaving you with a splitting headache - assuming your lucky enough to wake up at all

In the military they have an orange bag and a green bag the idea is using both you would place an insulating layer of say leaf litter in between them. In a survival situation you would use the green as the inner and the orange as outer, in combat you would use the orange as the inner and the green as the outer

Really only used in an emergency, that said having a piece of orange plastic sheet measuring 1.8M by 1.8M is also very useful for a number of other functions, to make a waterproof bivvy, solar still, transportion bag, panel marker, emergency poncho, rucksack liner etc....the list goes on, well worth carrying due to their small size and weight

Over here an actual "bag" is all but unheard of. Instead a similar item, a "space blanket" is common. They're made of Mylar and usually are silver on one side (bright and radar reflective) and orange on the other. They fold down to a size that fits into a shirt pocket and weigh about as much as a handkerchief. Here's a link to one www.rei.com/product/407104

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
of course more than 1 person is allowed, depends how people view the post really, the marking is up to the forum....:)

and again yes of course you can take uncle Ray, if he has the time, and if he knows you, and if he wants to come that is....:rolleyes:

I think if given a choice I'd rather take Dave Canterbury or Corey Lundin on this particular trek.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
so nobody has managed to get out yet, bummer, me neither, just back of exercise and very busy cleaning down kit and doing stock checks....:(:(:(:(

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
will keep all posted as to how the E & E this goes forward, when things are getting sorted i will post a new thread here and in Bushcraft Chatter...

many thanks.

chris.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
hey Andy, sounds good, it should be on the Otterburn training area if all goes to plan, all kind of in the idea stage, but there seems to be enough people interested to go ahead with this.

the thing is it will all be down to cost, i need to hire vehicles and need staff to help with the event, safety etc etc, the kit i need i can sign for from work though.

then there is more cost for ammo bat sims smoke etc etc, that will cost loads as i cant get that from work as its a non military course.

anyway, once its all worked out it should be a good course, and will get better and better over time...:)

Erro Telcontar

Forager
Mar 23, 2012
Sheffield
Me and my brother (s) will be tackling this in one form or another in the next xouple of weeks. can we extend the dealine to august as people haven't managed to get out yet?

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
thats cool with me Erro, the weather has not helped, i think i will just leave the thread open, and when people post the outing they should be judged there and then....

best of luck with it...:):):):)

Erro Telcontar

Forager
Mar 23, 2012
Sheffield
Awesome, i'll get pictures and do a write up as soon as we're back.

along those lines, we're allowed 1 luxury item but i won't be taking tea or ciggs but will be taking a note book and pencil just to make notes for the write up. no cheating and using the paper to start a fire or using the pencil to kill quarry tho ;-)

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
ok gents, update on the course, im very sorry but people have not got back to me, and i have not got enough time to get it sorted now before i go away to afghan, i will however look into it when i get back and see what i can jack up for us all....:(

many thanks gents.

chris.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE