A Food & Shelter Challenge...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
having given it some thought i reckon i have a way round the lack of friendly campsites within 4mile radius
i am in but not sure i can get permission to do it from the boss yet.
can i do as southey and maybe take less than the items listed?

if course mate, the only reason i listed the items was because when i did a 5 items only, people seemed to be put of by the lack of kit and not many took part...

the other reason was that this would be more realistic with some kit as opposed to almost none...

id like to get to the point that i can just go out with a knife and be ok for a week or so, not starve be cold or uncomfortable too much....

my biggest problem is my plant id, its pants...:(

best of luck Sam...;)

id like to get to the point that i can just go out with a knife and be ok for a week or so, not starve be cold or uncomfortable too much....
You and me both Fella
my biggest problem is my plant id, its pants...:(
And again you and me both fella
my way around the lack of campsites is to walk four miles to my campsite then the next day walk four miles in a circuitous route back to my campsite, is that ok with you oh writer of the rules?

Jul 26, 2009
My Front Room
I think we will have a go at this. My thoughts would be set up a base camp for the ladies of the family. Then me and the boys head off with our survival kit and see what we can manage. We have a nice wee permission that should offer enough food fuel and shelter. Eldest son is very keen on mushrooms, youngest on trapping and fire building. The four mile hike might be a challenge for them but we manage during the winter months when beating.

Skaukraft

Settler
Apr 8, 2012
Norway
I've been challenged in another thread to participate, but since my summer is already fully booked, I have no spare time until August.
Is it possible to make a late entry, or perhaps make a late summer/autumn challenge?

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Soooo tempting. Will really have to consider the food issue. At the Sussex BC Meet we are planning a walk in rather than the car camping that we've seemed to have got into. We've got a meet this weekend, so might sound a few guys out, maybe make our May or June meet a trial. Would love to do this and up for roughing it a bit.

I guess poaching my fellow campers sausages doesn't count as foraging?

Thetillerman71

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 9, 2012
Gloucester
The survival bag is just a sheet of orange plastic approx 1.8M by 0.9M which can be used in an emergency as a sleeping bag. Unlike gore-tex they are not breathable and you end up both soaking wet and an attraction to all the creapy crawlies, also if you have your head in it you can lack oxygen leaving you with a splitting headache - assuming your lucky enough to wake up at all

In the military they have an orange bag and a green bag the idea is using both you would place an insulating layer of say leaf litter in between them. In a survival situation you would use the green as the inner and the orange as outer, in combat you would use the orange as the inner and the green as the outer

Really only used in an emergency, that said having a piece of orange plastic sheet measuring 1.8M by 1.8M is also very useful for a number of other functions, to make a waterproof bivvy, solar still, transportion bag, panel marker, emergency poncho, rucksack liner etc....the list goes on, well worth carrying due to their small size and weight

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
I've been challenged in another thread to participate, but since my summer is already fully booked, I have no spare time until August.
Is it possible to make a late entry, or perhaps make a late summer/autumn challenge?

ok, no probs, its just that im due to go away for 6 months, so just post up your entry when you can, and i will sort it as and when...:)

Soooo tempting. Will really have to consider the food issue. At the Sussex BC Meet we are planning a walk in rather than the car camping that we've seemed to have got into. We've got a meet this weekend, so might sound a few guys out, maybe make our May or June meet a trial. Would love to do this and up for roughing it a bit.

I guess poaching my fellow campers sausages doesn't count as foraging?

poaching sausages could be found upon.....;)

Can someone please explain to me what a survival bag/wheeley bin liner bags is?

as above for the survival bag, and a wheeley bin liner is just a giant bin bag, some uses have been given above but the idea is to use it as a bivi bag to keep warm, but then you get wet from sweat, but you are warm and not dead...:)

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Well I know I won't be getting into the top three, but will give it a go if I get the chance, if nothing else, just for myself.

its all for fun mate, or why do it???? having fun is the most important part but testing your self and learning new skills is also part of it.....

have a go and see what happens, you might even like the lack of kit...:)

Skaukraft

Settler
Apr 8, 2012
Norway
I hope I can find an opening in my schedule before August.
I have absolutely no idea how I will perform, and I really do not give it much thought, it will be a fun exercise. And it will be interesting to see in what way the difference in culture will turn out.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE