A Food & Shelter Challenge...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 13, 2009
South Wales
Hi,
Whats the rules on doing it as a group (maybe 2 or 3) could we build a group shelter, share the fire etc; or would we lose precious points? Not sure if i can get permission from the boss and work commitments are limiting my time to play at the moment. I've done this sort of thing before, solo with a little more kit and minimal food, but spent all my time collecting fire wood drying it (my permission is like a rainforest, so dense an wet,and nearly all 40 deg incline), add a 4mile walk and foraging i doubt i'll get time for sleep! :( It really brings home how much time and energy is consumned,in a real survival situation the need for large amounts of food to sustain these energy levels is paramount. Its a great way to test and learn new skills though. Good Luck everybody and above all have fun!!

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
its all for fun mate, or why do it???? having fun is the most important part but testing your self and learning new skills is also part of it.....

have a go and see what happens, you might even like the lack of kit...:)

How dare you! I'm a confirmed kit junkie, if it's out there, then I need one delivered tomorrow :lmao:

Can I take Ray Mears as my Luxury item?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Lanny, as the instigator you should really go off on your challenge first and then inspire members with pictures and a log?

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Lanny, as the instigator you should really go off on your challenge first and then inspire members with pictures and a log?

love to mate, quite sure i wont be allowed though, my boy has just been born and i will have very little time with him before i go to afghan, but i do hope to get out once to complete this thread adleast.

maybe i will be lucky and get time on my paternity leave.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Hi,
Whats the rules on doing it as a group (maybe 2 or 3) could we build a group shelter, share the fire etc; or would we lose precious points? Not sure if i can get permission from the boss and work commitments are limiting my time to play at the moment. I've done this sort of thing before, solo with a little more kit and minimal food, but spent all my time collecting fire wood drying it (my permission is like a rainforest, so dense an wet,and nearly all 40 deg incline), add a 4mile walk and foraging i doubt i'll get time for sleep! :( It really brings home how much time and energy is consumned,in a real survival situation the need for large amounts of food to sustain these energy levels is paramount. Its a great way to test and learn new skills though. Good Luck everybody and above all have fun!!

of course more than 1 person is allowed, depends how people view the post really, the marking is up to the forum....:)

How dare you! I'm a confirmed kit junkie, if it's out there, then I need one delivered tomorrow :lmao:

Can I take Ray Mears as my Luxury item?

and again yes of course you can take uncle Ray, if he has the time, and if he knows you, and if he wants to come that is....:rolleyes:

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Heh good challenge.

Been watching some of the pathfinder school videos, where they run exercises like this.
The current exercise is an interesting one.
Two teams, 1 pair of instructors and 1 pair of regular hobbists I guess they'd be called, both given $25 shopping spree in Menards (US store) for their only kit (apart from basic clothing & boots, no waterproofs)

1. Intro
  2. The teams choices
  3. The instructor team
  4. The amateur team

Guess there are clips to follow...

Last edited:

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland
Happy to do this in a group of two - mainly because I would hate to go all survival on me mate without him being there. Hey matey, he will be reading! Hope I didn't just volunteer him for something he will DEF want to do :p

Same rules as you laid out, I can go fairly minimalist and have excellent foraging skills.

Bivi, bag, knife, steel, clothes I am wearing, waterbottle, tobacco box full of assorted items. Done ;-)

3 nights+ depending on weather, I'll pick a nice weekend :p Moray coast is a fine place to do it, diet of seaweed and buckies(winkles) and whatever other shellfish I can eat. I avoid limpets like the plague, I would have to be pretty desperate to chew on those feet.

Ready to roll :)

My only amendment to the above would be to lose either the bag or the bivi, I could go hardcore and lose the clothes but you don;t want piccies of me nekkid on the forum :p

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Happy to do this in a group of two - mainly because I would hate to go all survival on me mate without him being there. Hey matey, he will be reading! Hope I didn't just volunteer him for something he will DEF want to do :p

Same rules as you laid out, I can go fairly minimalist and have excellent foraging skills.

Bivi, bag, knife, steel, clothes I am wearing, waterbottle, tobacco box full of assorted items. Done ;-)

3 nights+ depending on weather, I'll pick a nice weekend :p Moray coast is a fine place to do it, diet of seaweed and buckies(winkles) and whatever other shellfish I can eat. I avoid limpets like the plague, I would have to be pretty desperate to chew on those feet.

Ready to roll :)

My only amendment to the above would be to lose either the bag or the bivi, I could go hardcore and lose the clothes but you don;t want piccies of me nekkid on the forum :p

:rofl::You_Rock_:dancer: try it with no clothes anyway pee wee....:rolleyes:

Frampi

Apr 19, 2012
United Kingdom
Will look into doing this :D
was actually looking a challenging like this before joining up on the forum.
Some1 has already mentioned the pathfinder videos which i have also watched and might be a good shout for some1 like me thats starting out :D.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
I better pick a remote coastline then :p

well it would earn allot of points and be in keeping with the hunter gatherer style...:)

Will look into doing this :D
was actually looking a challenging like this before joining up on the forum.
Some1 has already mentioned the pathfinder videos which i have also watched and might be a good shout for some1 like me thats starting out :D.

go for it Frampi, its all for fun at the end of the day, as long as no body gets hurt its all good..:)

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
hey up all, its proving very hard to get out what with a new little boy to look after, but is there no other contenders who have been out yet?????

regards.

chris.

forestwalker

i have never done a long term escape and evasion exercise, only 24 hours and you dont need any kit for that really, no food for sure, your to busy running from dogs and men...:( id love to organize an event like that or take part in one, but the problem is the land area, and being allowed to use open fires, and make natural shelters etc etc. you would need a great big old area to make it of any use on the run and hide scenario...
Someone is doing (almost) that already: http://www.porgupohja.ee/ Three days, 100 km, 4 man teams (+1 team coordinator) and you get chased by the Estonian Home Guard. No, not my cup of tea these days, but I know people who have, and will be there this year as well.

forestwalker

hey up all, its proving very hard to get out what with a new little boy to look after, but is there no other contenders who have been out yet????? .
I will. But it is still term time (and end of term), so no time to run off just like that. In June I should have 1-2 weekends: I'll try to keep one of them free for your challenge.

forestwalker

well David, for you i will allow less items....:) will bump the points up....:naughty:
Does that apply to others? Anything beyond clothes is "survival glamping" in my book. Field portion of out *basic* survival course is clothes (+ beanie, waterproofs and a sweather), cookpot, knife and firemaking tool of choice. We've done 10 days "just clothes", and I and another instructor is planning a 14 day one next summer (the idea is to allow the participants time to actually improve their "infrastructure", build fish traps, etc).

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
less items is cool with me, and it will bump up the points...:) the problem we have here in a long survival type practice is we dont really have anywhere to do such things, i will be asking at some places around here if we could do such an exercise on land big enough...

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Just an update on things peeps, im looking into a survival escape & evasion type traing course, people would have to pay but all levels would be welcome though.

It would be on military land with teaching of basic skills & then the escape & evasion phase, this would involve 2 days on the run being hunted by men dogs etc, using your skills to feed keep warm & do what you can in the 2 days in a team of 2, budy budy type team...

Anyway, will post a new thread when im home & have some details.

Thanks all

Chris

Sent from my GT-S5570 using Tapatalk 2

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
i would be one Rick, with a group of DS staff from the regiment im with.

why do you ask?

all money would be for the training cost and to improve the event.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE