A Food & Shelter Challenge...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Right, i have been reading one of my "survival" type books, and thought it would be good to have a "challenge", now the weather is a little better and plants are coming up...

the challenge will be to construct shelter and gather food for a sustained period of adleast 3 days and 2 nights.

there is a strict kit list which i will give towards the end of the post.

now for the rules...

1) First Aid Kit and mobile phone are free bleeding out or being desperately in need of rescue isnt good and to do so for bragging rights is silly.
2) As for clothing imagine what you would wear on a 1 day walk so good base mid a bit of warm kit (softey / snugpack etc etc ) pants and boots/socks anything over and above is not allowed.
3) The best 3 entrants will be picked by Myself and then put up in a poll, the winner will be the most voted for person.
4) Entrants would be picked on the basis of most done with least kit, ingenuity and sense of adventure.
5) The time limit will be untill the end of June to allow everyone time to get out and give it a go
6) Once the entrants have been picked the vote will go on for a week.
7) Proof WE need a picture of all kit laid out and a write up of the load out. extra pictures of items in use will earn extra points camera is a free item based on this rule
8) Entrants need to stay out for 2 night at least, longer trips with minimal kit could gain extra points
9) Anyone using natural shelters and generally sourcing materials i.e cordage etc would get more points
10) If you're a smoker you are allowed smokes but no lighter or matches, for non smokers Tea or Coffee is allowed but no sugar or milk.
11) Food is to be counted as emergency rations and are not to be used unless in an emergency
12)multiple entries are permitted and encouraged
13)a minimum of 4 miles to be walked each day, this is to make a more realistic situation of survival use of calleries
14) Have Fun but first and for most BE SAFE....Leave contact details and exact locations of where you are and for how long, the last thing we want is for someone to get hurt or worse.....

The kit list is as follows:-

1. clothes as per a normal day walking, (a wooley hat is permitted also)
2. set of waterproofs, top and bottom
3. outer jacket, any type you want
4. knife of your choosing
5. axe or heavy blade for chopping etc
6. 2 x survival bags, if you cant get them wheeley bin liner bags could be used, or foil blanket, or even a combination or the 2, which is what i plan to do
7. cooking pot (without a lid), crusader mug is ideal
8. 2 x plastic bags (any shop type Tesco style bag)
9. 5 meters of para cord or any non natural cordage
10. water bottle 1 liter, military type ideal
11. fire steel and striker if you wish (fero rod type)
12. survival tin (small tobacco tin with survival equipment of your choice)

13. Luxury item or Tea or Coffee or Smokes

Free Items:-
(bold items emergencies only)

FAK
ID book for plants and trees
Camera
phone
water (as some peoples permission has non at all)
daysack for emergency kit and sharps etc etc
emergency rations
sleeping bag
biviv bag
torch/signal flares/smoke

please post interest in this thread and also your trip photo's and write ups in here too,
this will make it easier for myself to find it all when it is decision time.

any questions ask away.

chris.

Last edited:

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
ok how about a luxury item, but only 1....

this could be coffee but no sugar or milk, tabs but no lighter etc etc etc, non essential kit only though...

gabrielsdad

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 6, 2012
north staffs
Id be happy to not take a lighter. bit of crampball or chatcloth is probably better than a lighter in a good wind. But i want my smoke

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
a daysack is in the free items, in all reality it would be 1 of the first things to grab or make to carry kit...

yes flint and steel can replace fero rod, but tinder should be found on the ground when you start, this is why i said fero rod to start with, it gives you much more options...:)

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
This looks good, I fancy a crack at it.

The food is an issue for me though, I'm gonna starve for 2 days!

2 Q's;
Is a reference book for foraged foods allowed to avoid chowin' down on Cuckoo pint or Death caps?

Is there a limit on fishing gear in the survival tin? (obviously, no rods or reels :rolleyes:)

gabrielsdad

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 6, 2012
north staffs
This looks good, I fancy a crack at it.

The food is an issue for me though, I'm gonna starve for 2 days!

2 Q's;
Is a reference book for foraged foods allowed to avoid chowin' down on Cuckoo pint or Death caps?

Is there a limit on fishing gear in the survival tin? (obviously, no rods or reels :rolleyes:)

Surely its upto us whats in the tin. Asling as itd a standard dort of sized tin. Ill struggle food wise wuth that kit. I suppose thats the challenge for me.

gabrielsdad

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 6, 2012
north staffs
I tell you what would be a good challenge. Have some trackers try to find either teams or indivifuals over a set time or so many miles. Id love to be the escapee/survivor in that game

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
good idea about the book Teepee, will add that to the free bees, ref fishing kit, if it fits in your tin then you can have it. the idea behind the tin was allot of people have a small tin like that with some basic kit in stashed in the car etc etc, so you would probably have access to it.

the whole idea of this challenge is to test skills with minimal kit, i have done it before with 5 items but that was quite uncomfortable, i was hungry too.

should be a good test when i get round to it....:)

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
I tell you what would be a good challenge. Have some trackers try to find either teams or indivifuals over a set time or so many miles. Id love to be the escapee/survivor in that game

i have never done a long term escape and evasion exercise, only 24 hours and you dont need any kit for that really, no food for sure, your to busy running from dogs and men...:(

id love to organize an event like that or take part in one, but the problem is the land area, and being allowed to use open fires, and make natural shelters etc etc. you would need a great big old area to make it of any use on the run and hide scenario...

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
shouldn't tea/coffee be an essential item? mainly from the mental stand point i.e if you get lost, stop and make a brew (and in doing so make fire etc)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE