3 day trip, good kit and bad kit!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
Hey all,
Got back yesterday from a 3 day trip with my new set up, and I hadn't been on this sort of extended trip with lots of walking and stuff so it allowed me to really put my kit through the paces!

Anyway here's a list of stuff I loved, and stuff I need to change which will result in various suggestion threads! Anyway:

Stuff I loved:
Turbo flame lighter- when you just can't be bothered! Used it to light a fire without tinder, went straight onto kindling and it worked a charm!
Trangia kettle- makes you feel so comfortable watching it on the fire, some would say it's an indulgence but I love it!
Mountain equipment sleeping bag- made up for a really poor sleeping mat, thank you ME!

Stuff I hate:
My imitation thermarest: some knock off job from "mountain warehouse", it's so poor. Punctured after only a few outings and it's bloody heavy!
My bergen: My old bergen with no internal frame destroys your back after 7-8 miles, need a new bag!
My combat boots- too heavy for summer use, should have known that but I wanted something durable, error!

will open up suggestions for replacement kit on separate threads!

will

EDIT: for poor spelling :D

Last edited:

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
A 'poor sleeping mate'? Does your missus know about this? ;-)

Interesting - and inevitable - point about bergens without frames - no use when loaded with kit. This is one of the reasons I don't rate the NI packs.

Yeah, turbo-flames - for when nature is being awkward and you really, really need a cuppie tea. Awesome.

Sleeping mat - try Alpkit (new range out now)
Combat Boots - for summer use, try some non-goretex fabric boots. There are plenty in the sales - Karrimore is reasonably priced brand.
Bergen - just about anything with an internal frame a good hip belt! I'd say Kiffaru but you'll cry when you see the cost....

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
yes :D! But I could have enjoyed it a bit more, and I wouldn't have enjoyed it if I was going for longer than three days!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE